Moving to Chiang Mai early 2016

Cpkt8

Drinking water - can buy everywhere and set up delivery service if need be...

Pubic transportation - quite poor and unorganized...songthaews are around but not planned modern and systematic...a real PT doesn't exist....pick up a cheap truck/car if you wish to go quickly and conveniently...increasing traffic becoming bad esp on outskirts...

Haze - N 95 is appropriate type of mask for CM during burning season...lasts anywhere from jan - April with mar/apr the worst months..may was quite nice last year...easiest to head to the southern beaches during these two months...

Don't worry about drinking water, there is plenty of good water. Details like that you can work out when you arrive.

But...you picked a bad location for someone who doesn't drive. It will be difficult for you to come and go from there. No songtaews that I have ever seen except when there is an event at the Convention center and even then almost all are chartered. You will need a bicycle. If you do get a ride with a taxi or tuk tuk, expect to pay the highest fare - I would guess 300 Baht - since there will be little chance for the driver to get a fare back to where he/she started.

Let me gently suggest if you are looking to fill your husband's shoes, unless you are drop dead gorgeous the Thai competition will bury you as far as falangs are concerned - don't know about Thai males.

Plenty of SWFs enjoying CM,

Massage courses, cooking courses, language classes, ladies groups, coffee mornings, hiking groups.

All great places for ladies to socialize and meet people.

You should contact NancyL on this forum who is involved with many of them and would probably be happy to introduce you around, if you aren't all that happy to start by yourself.

Sunday hiking group is also aimed at the slightly older person, loads of foreign women attend their gentle hikes.

https://chiangmaihiking.wordpress.com/

Even if you aren't all that keen on hiking.

YMCA

do all levels of Thai classes, also it's another good place to meet other foreigners both male and female in a comfortable setting.

CM is a great place for everyone, no matter what their age or sex.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

First of you have my condolences for the loss of your husband. About your visa; there are many options depending on why you will be living here.

Should you choose to work in Thailand where the type of work you can do is very limited you could apply for a work visa.

Should you decide you want to be a student and attend classes here, you could apply for a student visa once you have found a reputable school.

Should you want to just live here on income you have from overseas but are too young for a retirement visa you must play the visa run game which recently has become more difficult to do.

Should you decide to work as a volunteer for an NGO, you could find one that will sponsor you for a volunteer visa. But unless you have skills they need it may prove difficult to find an NGO that will go to the expense to do so.

Should you become married to another foreigner who is on a retirement visa, work visa, or volunteer visa you may be able to piggy back on his visa as a dependent.

Should you marry a Thai citizen you can apply for a marriage visa at any age.

I would also recommend seeking the assistance of a visa agency in finding just what visa option best suits you.

About transportation; check with the condo management for tips on this matter. Once thing some people do is to try several different taxis or other transporters until they find one driver they are comfortable with. Then they make a deal with that driver to use him/her all the time. Once you have established such a relationship, you will only need to phone him/her to come pick you up and on occasions where they can't they can send you a trusted associate. Bicycle riding is dangerous, but it you just use it to go to the local stores is you area, practice all the safety measures, avoid night riding and avoid the high traffic areas you should be OK. Then only use taxis when traveling out of the area or at night. About water; that has already been covered very well in the other posts.

Good luck on your move and I hope you will enjoy your life in Chiang Mai.

Go to home pro and get a water filtration system installed under your sink . I did that 8 years ago in Bangkok and the water tastes perfectly fine and it eliminates the big problem of dragging water bottles back to your condo

Let me gently suggest if you are looking to fill your husband's shoes, unless you are drop dead gorgeous the Thai competition will bury you as far as falangs are concerned - don't know about Thai males.

Massage courses, cooking courses, language classes, ladies groups, coffee mornings, hiking groups.

You should contact NancyL on this forum who is involved with many of them and would probably be happy to introduce you around, if you aren't all that happy to start by yourself.

Sunday hiking group is also aimed at the slightly older person, loads of foreign women attend their gentle hikes.

YMCA

do all levels of Thai classes, also it's another good place to meet other foreigners both male and female in a comfortable setting.

What is SWF?

Go to home pro and get a water filtration system installed under your sink . I did that 8 years ago in Bangkok and the water tastes perfectly fine and it eliminates the big problem of dragging water bottles back to your condo

What is the price range for water filtration system? I read one with UV filter is preferred. Is it cheaper to buy in Singapore or Chiang Mai? Do I need a plumber to fix it up?

Thanks.

What is the price range for water filtration system? I read one with UV filter is preferred. Is it cheaper to buy in Singapore or Chiang Mai? Do I need a plumber to fix it up?

Thanks.

5000 bht for this one https://www.directtoshop.com/product/241706 but there are cheaper ones as well and home pro will install it and they can come out every year or 2 to replace the filters at a cost

Thanks.

That sounds like a great idea to me. Here where I live a group of us got together and have it delivered to us. But as you own the place it would seem to me to be a great idea. I would go with th best one.

5000 bht for this one https://www.directtoshop.com/product/241706 but there are cheaper ones as well and home pro will install it and they can come out every year or 2 to replace the filters at a cost

If you Move think about where you will spent the month February -April as the north is inhabitable during this time due to hazardous smoke and fire pollution.

You have never been here during the smoke season if you had you would know you are full of nonsense. Some people leave during the period of smoke but not enough so you would even notice it on the street.

If you Move think about where you will spent the month February -April as the north is inhabitable during this time due to hazardous smoke and fire pollution.

We leave every March, the minute school gets out, and head south to the beach. We don't return until late April which is still bad, but the worst is usually between 1 March and 10 April. For us, it is not livable here during that time.

You have never been here during the smoke season if you had you would know you are full of nonsense. Some people leave during the period of smoke but not enough so you would even notice it on the street.

Rubbish. If we stay here during that period of time, we are all sick and on medication and our child had to have respiratory therapy 2X a week.

My Condolences for your loss x

We (husband n I) used ASTRO MOVERS when we were moving from SG to CM on 2014.

I don't drive nor ride when we were there. So....i took tuk tuk sometimes songtaw everytime i went somewhere on my own. We bought water from the water dispenser (not sure if that what they call it) from the road side n using the water to cook n drinking water (you gotta boil it). Good luck there x x

( we moved back to SG after a year in CM)

Do you know the name of the temple that has the monk chat garden? I would love to further understand the Thai chanting, the proper pronunciation.

Wat Chedi Luang, definitely has English 'monk chat'.

But I'm not sure if monks will talk with women.

Yes you are correct it is Wat Chedi Luang. Women can speak with the monks. It is just that a women may never touch a monk where as a man can.

I have had several interesting chat there. They are open to any topic.

Edited by big carl

Chiangmai Mai is a lovely place to be.... However, make plans to,get away for the months of March, April and May when the pollution hits town. There is no escaping it. If you have ANY type of respiratory disorders, heed our advice. If you have NO respiratory disorders, get out of town to remain that way.

Plan ahead in this regard.

Whatever face mask you get is totally up to you.....but i would do your research first. google, "chiang mai pollution" or "pollution in thailand" and read for yourself......it's your health.

Singapore suffers the annual haze too.

You have no idea about air pollution, until you have been in CM during burning season.

I would seriously rethink any move to Thailand at this time. Visas will be prohibitive, at the very least.

Whatever face mask you get is totally up to you.....but i would do your research first. google, "chiang mai pollution" or "pollution in thailand" and read for yourself......it's your health.

You have no idea about air pollution, until you have been in CM during burning season.

I would seriously rethink any move to Thailand at this time. Visas will be prohibitive, at the very least.

Actually;, you have no idea about air pollution if you think Chiang Mai is in the same league as Singapore. Just google how Singapore has been suffering thanks to the burning in Indonesia.

YMCA

What is SWF?

First ,very sorry to hear about your loss.Obviously you are in pain. I lost my wife a few years ago. It's difficult and lonely... But try and look toward the future.

As far as my expierience her in Chiang Mai so far... I 've been here for a few months. At the moment I'm renting a place inside the old city. Deluxe room in a hotel top floor

- wifi, maid service, ice cold AC very hot water, strong water pressure and bathtub, large frig, microwave ,huge swimming pool ,jacuzzi .No deposit nec. And month to month THB12,000 all included..A little pricey but good location I can walk to the central mall , Sat. and Sun. walking street ,night bazar, Thae Pae gate , cafes and restaurants I have a fresh produce market two bocks from my place.

I agree with the other posters , bicycles are not a good idea. I have no interest in buying a moto.If need be I take a red bus ,just agree on a price first.. But walking is a good excuse to get some excercise and clear your mind.. Just buy a pair off quality walking shoes. A lightweight backpack.And comfortable casual clothes. And a small umbrella.

I buy the large botles of water at any supermarket it's cheap and the quality is fine.

As far as visa , well as you mentioned you are'nt retirement age yet. One option is to get some advice from a quality visa agency. Assist Thai are very well known and can advise you on the best way to stay long term with the least amount of hassle.You can invest in an ED visa .Other posters can tell you more about that. There are one or two other agencies that are pretty good also.

If you do move out of the old city , then you'll need your own transportation.

Wish you all the best.

(Oh and SWF= Single whie female.)

Triple and double entry Visa are now no longer available .

Its just the METV and single entry tourist visas which are avaiable

We got double entry visas from Cardiff consulate last week.

Yes, they were available last week, but this week they are not available

Actually;, you have no idea about air pollution if you think Chiang Mai is in the same league as Singapore. Just google how Singapore has been suffering thanks to the burning in Indonesia.

Is this to say that the CM air quality during the burning season is still better than the SG haze season?

I live in SG but am wondering how CM compares, having visited CM only once during the non-burning season.

Thanks.

You seem very interested in the tiny details.. And yet dont appear to have a plan for the big issues.. you say an elite visa is a huge cost, at a mere 500k, and will it seems be doing visa run begging and flights around the region.. Something that rapidly adds up to being a large cost and expense.. you cant drive or ride a bike, yet want to live outside the city and run the gauntlet with a pushbike ??

It may have been your husbands dream, but is it really yours ?? Can you afford to do this ?? Grief makes for a bad time to make huge choices.. Keep your singapore place to live, fly in for a few months at a time.. all those little questions like drinking water will be resolved and you will see if a new life is really a good idea or not.

Thanks.

You seem very interested in the tiny details.. And yet dont appear to have a plan for the big issues.. you say an elite visa is a huge cost, at a mere 500k, and will it seems be doing visa run begging and flights around the region.. Something that rapidly adds up to being a large cost and expense.. you cant drive or ride a bike, yet want to live outside the city and run the gauntlet with a pushbike ??

It may have been your husbands dream, but is it really yours ?? Can you afford to do this ?? Grief makes for a bad time to make huge choices.. Keep your singapore place to live, fly in for a few months at a time.. all those little questions like drinking water will be resolved and you will see if a new life is really a good idea or not.

Excellent well rounded advise! Regarding a bike, I just spent a month in Jomtien and thought great, I can hire a bicycle. And then I saw the crazy driving, baht buses that will wipe you out trying to jump lanes to grab a customer and buses whizzing past just a few feet away etc etc and thought its only a matter of time..

Thanks.

Thank you LivinLOS for your suggestion. Your points are right. Maybe because I'm a woman, I pay more attention to tiny details.

I'll get tourist visa with extension first. That will give me time to find alternative visa. Elite visa will be the backup plan.

I'll definitely not cycle to town for sure. For transport, I'll check with the residents or condo management what's available there. I don't have travel to town every day.

My husband's wish will be mine. I've never thought what's mine actually. He has been my world all the while. Singapore is too expensive to live in in the long run. Furthermore there's nothing here to keep anymore.