Massive fish hauled in by fishermen in Cambodia

geovalin

Fishermen were shocked when they reeled in a rare monster catfish near Phnom Penh, Cambodia this past week.

Known as the "royal fish" due to its size, the rarely seen giant Mekong catfish measured about seven feet long.

"This is really extraordinary," Zeb Hogan, a University of Nevada, Reno, biologist who has studied the species for almost 20 years said in a statement. "It confirms that this incredibly rare and critically endangered freshwater species still occurs in Cambodia and it is still making its annual spawning migration out of the Tonle Sap Lake and into the Mekong River."

It was the first reported catch of the massive catfish in the country this year, according to Department of Fisheries officials in Phnom Penh.

In fact, the catfish was larger than any other that has been caught in the U.S. in the last 100 years, Hogan added.

A 645-pound giant Mekong catfish was caught in 2005 in northern Thailand and is believed to be the biggest freshwater fish ever captured.

Meanwhile, in Ontario and Alberta officials are urging goldfish owners to not to dispose of them in public ponds, lakes, or waterways because they can grow quite large and become harmful to the environment.

A team of officials from the Cambodian Department of Fisheries along with Hogan tagged the fish before releasing it in the middle of the river. Hogan dived about 10 feet underwater with the catfish to help it return to deeper waters.

"Swimming with the fish was incredible as always," Hogan said in the statement. "This particular fish was in better shape, not as injured than most, so that makes me optimistic it will survive."

Scientists predict the total population of the species has plummeted by about 90 per cent in the last decade.

for the picture, follow the link: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/see-the-massive-fish-hauled-in-by-fishermen-in-cambodia-/59854/

A very big fish indeed as was the "645-pound giant Mekong catfish was caught in 2005 in northern Thailand and is believed to be the biggest freshwater fish ever captured"

About 15 years ago, I had the privilege of catching (and releasing) a white sturgeon in Canada's Fraser River. It was just under 6 meters and weighed 480 Kg ( almost 1100 pounds). I was ecstatic, but it was no record for white sturgeon. So, yes a 650 pound catfish is huge but nowhere near "the biggest freshwater fish ever captured". BTW the white sturgeon is only the third largest sturgeon species.

Edited by tigermonkey

Thank goodness they released this monster grand-daddy fish...just think of all the wives, children, and grandchildren that would have mourned his demise...seriously, glad the big guy was returned to his home...

A very big fish indeed as was the "645-pound giant Mekong catfish was caught in 2005 in northern Thailand and is believed to be the biggest freshwater fish ever captured"

About 15 years ago, I had the privilege of catching (and releasing) a white sturgeon in Canada's Fraser River. It was just under 6 meters and weighed 480 Kg ( almost 1100 pounds). I was ecstatic, but it was no record for white sturgeon. So, yes a 650 pound catfish is huge but nowhere near "the biggest freshwater fish ever captured". BTW the white sturgeon is only the third largest sturgeon species.

Not everyone considers sturgeon to be freshwater fish, they are euryhaline, can live in both fresh and salt water, and anadromous, they migrate from sea to river.

Found this on Wikipedia:

"The largest sturgeon caught on record was caught on the Fraser River, in British Columbia, and weighed an estimated 1,100 pounds (498.9 kg) and measured 12 feet, 4 inches."

Yours was as almost as heavy as the largest ever caught but 7 foot longer, must of been skinny.

Not everyone considers sturgeon to be freshwater fish, they are euryhaline, can live in both fresh and salt water, and anadromous, they migrate from sea to river.

Found this on Wikipedia:

"The largest sturgeon caught on record was caught on the Fraser River, in British Columbia, and weighed an estimated 1,100 pounds (498.9 kg) and measured 12 feet, 4 inches."

Yours was as almost as heavy as the largest ever caught but 7 foot longer, must of been skinny.

Ahh - the omnipotent Wikipedia. I am probably wrong about the length, since I only have the weight written on my picture.. Perhaps some do migrate to salt water -- it is only 150 miles to tidal waters where I caught that fish, but definitely fresh water.

Found this on Wikipedia:

Ahh - the omnipotent Wikipedia. I am probably wrong about the length, since I only have the weight written on my picture.. Perhaps some do migrate to salt water -- it is only 150 miles to tidal waters where I caught that fish, but definitely fresh water.

Not all white sturgeon do see salt water as they don't move very far like some species of sturgeon do, the point is that sturgeon as a whole are considered to be migratory and so some don't consider any sturgeon to be a freshwater fish even if that particular fish may have lived it's whole life in freshwater, that's why you will see some discrepancy over the world records.

So many people never understand the definition of "Freshwater Fish" All baring possibly one landlocked species in Russia, Sturgeon are Migratory, and leave rivers for the sea during their life cycle, thus not fitting into the strictly defined term "freshwater fish" . There are many huge migratory fish species, very few pure freshwater giants.

Tigermonkey caught a 20 ft long "sturgeon" from the Fraser River in Canada. Probably confused a sturgeon with a disoriented grey whale. That would make more sense than his BS post.

I had already stated that my memory was probably mistaken about the length, as I only had the weight recorded. BTW you sound like a truly wonderful person. I'm so glad that I don't know you !

So many people never understand the definition of "Freshwater Fish" All baring possibly one landlocked species in Russia, Sturgeon are Migratory, and leave rivers for the sea during their life cycle, thus not fitting into the strictly defined term "freshwater fish" . There are many huge migratory fish species, very few pure freshwater giants.

Unfortunately, it is not quite as simple as you would have us believe. Almost all fish are migratory to some degree, especially when spawning. Some migrate between salt and fresh water, and some within salt water or fresh water. Some species of eel even migrate from fresh water to salt water to spawn.There are frequently differences even within a species as to whether a fish is "freshwater" or "saltwater".

The trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, is entirely freshwater as the 'rainbow trout', but migrates into the ocean after spawning as the 'steelhead trout' - same species. Many "migratory " fish do not migrate far and so never leave their freshwater habitat. Then there are others who cannot leave, such as the large population of white sturgeon who are trapped behind the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River.

Nature is chock full of diversity. To truly know, you need to ask the fish ," Are you a freshwater fish ?"