Best Wireless Router For A double storey house

tommyuk77

If you don't want to use a second WiFi 'repeater' or 'extender' to give you extended signal coverage then you're going to want to work with how the original WiFi Access Point propagates its signal.

A WiFi Access Point with external antenna will generally work better than those with built-in antennas.

blindspot1.jpg

radiation2.jpg

As you can see from the images above, the signal "pattern" of these devices also generally favor the horizontal coverage area. And if the antenna(s) are designed with any 'DB Gain' then even more emphasis will be placed in that direction and less on the other axis.

If you want 'vertical' coverage then you need to place the unit on its side.

fig-4.jpg

Think of the signal pattern of the built-in or external antenna being that of a really large 'donut' place over the tip of the antenna. Move the antenna into any position, and that large 'donut' is where the device will send/receive its WiFi signal.

So by placing the unit (or the antennas) on their side it changes where the WiFi signal will be best sent/received. And placing the device high up on the first floor improves your chance of having all connecting clients receiving signal by having the WiFi Access Point as centrally located as possible.

Unfortunately, this antenna 'alignment' doesn't give you more coverage, just adjusts the coverage you already have.

Adding one or two PowerLine -based WiFi Range Extenders might be the better option. With one device directly connected to your home router, the other device uses your home electrical wiring to send/receive high-speed data where a second or even third unit can act as an additional WiFi Access Point on your network.

pprimage003.png

Hi, so living 1 router, 2nd floor 3 rooms need 3 WiFi Range Extenders then can cover all the area, am i right, one of the room os for office, need strong signal.

Any brand recommendation?

If you don't want to use a second WiFi 'repeater' or 'extender' to give you extended signal coverage then you're going to want to work with how the original WiFi Access Point propagates its signal.

A WiFi Access Point with external antenna will generally work better than those with built-in antennas.

blindspot1.jpg

radiation2.jpg

As you can see from the images above, the signal "pattern" of these devices also generally favor the horizontal coverage area. And if the antenna(s) are designed with any 'DB Gain' then even more emphasis will be placed in that direction and less on the other axis.

If you want 'vertical' coverage then you need to place the unit on its side.

fig-4.jpg

Think of the signal pattern of the built-in or external antenna being that of a really large 'donut' place over the tip of the antenna. Move the antenna into any position, and that large 'donut' is where the device will send/receive its WiFi signal.

So by placing the unit (or the antennas) on their side it changes where the WiFi signal will be best sent/received. And placing the device high up on the first floor improves your chance of having all connecting clients receiving signal by having the WiFi Access Point as centrally located as possible.

Unfortunately, this antenna 'alignment' doesn't give you more coverage, just adjusts the coverage you already have.

Adding one or two PowerLine -based WiFi Range Extenders might be the better option. With one device directly connected to your home router, the other device uses your home electrical wiring to send/receive high-speed data where a second or even third unit can act as an additional WiFi Access Point on your network.

pprimage003.png

You have two ways to go, both involving powerline adapters.

If you buy the ones that do Wifi, then you can put as many of them wherever you like.

Personally I'd have one decent router for each floor, and connect them with a pair of powerline adapters.

What Chicog is recommending is to use the PowerLine adapters as an pseudo Ethernet Cable, then use your own additional external WiFi Access Points where you need them.

The alternative is to purchase the PowerLine adapters that have the WiFi Access Point option built-in on the second or third unit to provide WiFi signal coverage where you need it.

PROS: PowerLine Ethernet/WiFi adapter units are self-contained, integrated (so less devices to configure)

CONS: PowerLine WiFi don't have external antennas so coverage isn't as strong as a stand-alone device.

One PowerLine WiFi placed in the middle of the three rooms *might* be sufficient. Otherwise, try two in the opposite rooms, or rooms where it must absolutely be.

Since PowerLine devices are used as an alternative to running Ethernet Cable, you need TWO or more units to create a 'bridge' utilizing your home electrical wiring. The 'second' unit can be the same as the first, Ethernet port only, or it can be an 'integrated' device providing a feature or service at the second unit. So read the descriptions carefully.

I don't have a specific recommendation, but you can read about the combo PowerLine units on this InvadeIT page, or this Lazada page

Edited by RichCor

Picture on red is Internet access point, one is on living room, one is on master bedroom, maybi know whats router you are using?

If you buy the ones that do Wifi, then you can put as many of them wherever you like.

Personally I'd have one decent router for each floor, and connect them with a pair of powerline adapters.

post-140767-0-62044500-1447679561_thumb.

So you currently have two Access Points running? How is the second WiFi Access Point in the bedroom connected?

What kind of signal coverage are you getting now?

I'd assume a lack of signal directly *above* the downstairs WiFi Router, and weak signal in the two back bedrooms.

If you went the PowerLine WiFi method, I'd try placing a single WiFi unit on the wall between the front bedroom and office. If you needed a second unit, then place it on the wall between the two back bedrooms.

Some great advice given - another issue to also consider is the type of wifi devices - meaning the signal types being used by both router and pc/smartphone. There is no point getting an 802.11ac router if your pc/sp is 802.11g or 802.11n only - unless you are getting a new pc soon that has 802.11ac compatability. Check your main pc/sp device first and see what it can use - then get a router for wifi signalling that it can use. Newest can work with older - a g pc will work at the g level with an ac or n router - but a n or ac device will only work at g with a g router - two different devices will work at the lower level.

As the 802.11 specifications evolved to support higher throughput, the bandwidth requirements also increased to support them. 802.11n uses double the radio spectrum/bandwidth (40 MHz) compared to 802.11a or 802.11g (20 MHz). This means there can be only one 802.11n network on the 2.4 GHz band at a given location, without interference to/from other WLAN traffic. 802.11n can also be set to limit itself to 20 MHz bandwidth to prevent interference in dense community.Many newer consumer devices support the latest 802.11ac standard, which uses the 5 GHz band exclusively and is capable of multi-station WLAN throughput of at least 1 gigabit per second. According to a study, devices with the 802.11ac specification are expected to be common by 2015 with an estimated one billion spread around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

Picture on red is Internet access point, one is on living room, one is on master bedroom, maybi know whats router you are using?

I have a single floor house that's too long for for a decent signal from one router, so I just ran an Ethernet cable from one end to the other (I copy video a lot so I wanted the best throughput possible).

My Wifi Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R8000. It covers the whole house with a decent enough signal for surfing and streaming video.

I have 50 MB download and 10 upload and I see a huge power drop over WiFi on my 2nd floor extender down to 20 mb and on my first floor 3BB I must be on top of the router to get full speed 50 mb I used those power line thing before and it was even worse, by the 3rd floor my WiFi drops to 10 mb or so those powerline things where worse for me but it has been a few years since I used one, maybe they are better now, they only last a few years and burn out also I

Edited by genobkk

I'm still with Chicog, even if it would be difficult running a dedicated Ethernet Cable from the Router to the opposite-end of where you need WiFi, and installing a second WiFi Access Point would give the OP WiFi coverage and maintain access to speed with the least amount of deployment issues.

PowerLine device are a quick/dirty option. They you may run into unsurmountable issues if your AC Electrical wiring isn't the greatest, has noise issues, or your residence/building/compound is utilizing 3-phase power. And, yes, as someone mentioned, they have a tendency to 'burn out', stop working, and require replacement. But, quick and dirty easy.

The last option anyone should think about is deploying a single-unit WiFi Repeater/Extender. If you understood how these work you'd never quickly embrace them.