Prayut confirms participation in Paris climate change summit

webfact

Prayut confirms participation in Paris climate change summit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Tuesday confirmed his participation in the Paris-hosted United Nations Climate Change Conference to be held between November 30 to December 11.

"If other leaders are going, I'm going too. I have to express our intimacy, thrust and support to them [French people]."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-confirms-participation-in-Paris-climate-cha-30273130.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-17

I am not sure how Prayuth is going to express his "thrust" and "intimacy" in Paris.Seems a bit like taking coals to Newcastle but perhaps The Nation's incredibly high standards of Thai - English translation have slipped momentarily.So let us move on.

Still it's right he should attend given recent tragic events and there will be little risk of awkward questions among the heaving throng.

But nevertheless it is France to which he must travel,every civilised person's second favourite country and surtout home of liberty.Since I may have been too negative in the past about our delightful government, it might be helpful for me to make amends and brief Our Leader on French beliefs and customs.They are people awkwardly attached to freedom.

The Declaration Of The Rights of Man signed in 1789 summarises those ideals well.

https://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/d/295/

I was going to draw attention to some key paragraphs but on reflection it all seems quite relevant even more than two hundred years later.

A final friendly piece of advice.Do not attempt to "explain" to the French your thoughts on how limitations should be placed on a free nation.The consequence may be a sudden upthrust of a baguette to where the sun don't shine.

Bon Voyage.

Sounds like the PM wants some french in France. If other leaders are getting it, I'm having it too.

But i dont believe the other leaders will want any thainess, so best for the PM to do what he does best. Sit there, say nothing and look stupid.

I am not sure how Prayuth is going to express his "thrust" and "intimacy" in Paris.Seems a bit like taking coals to Newcastle but perhaps The Nation's incredibly high standards of Thai - English translation have slipped momentarily.So let us move on.

Still it's right he should attend given recent tragic events and there will be little risk of awkward questions among the heaving throng.

But nevertheless it is France to which he must travel,every civilised person's second favourite country and surtout home of liberty.Since I may have been too negative in the past about our delightful government, it might be helpful for me to make amends and brief Our Leader on French beliefs and customs.They are people awkwardly attached to freedom.

The Declaration Of The Rights of Man signed in 1789 summarises those ideals well.

I was going to draw attention to some key paragraphs but on reflection it all seems quite relevant even more than two hundred years later.

A final friendly piece of advice.Do not attempt to "explain" to the French your thoughts on how limitations should be placed on a free nation.The consequence may be a sudden upthrust of a baguette to where the sun don't shine.

Bon Voyage.

100 000 innocents people have been assasinated at the name of this right (see the Terror from september 1792 to July 1794 end with the fall of Robespierre)

Er not really.The Jacobin Terror had nothing to do with the Declaration of the Rights of Man, or only tangentially in that there was an unrealistically rapid transition between an absolute monarchy and a popular democracy.

More important was the pressure of war and the strength of counter revolutionary forces which resulted in paranoia among the revolutionaries.

But the lesson for Thailand rings down the centuries.

Er not really.The Jacobin Terror had nothing to do with the Declaration of the Rights of Man, or only tangentially in that there was an unrealistically rapid transition between an absolute monarchy and a popular democracy.

More important was the pressure of war and the strength of counter revolutionary forces which resulted in paranoia among the revolutionaries.

It was at the name of the Declaration of the Rights of Man the Jacobin use the reign of Terror

Don't forget that during this period the modo of France was Liberty Egality Brotherhood or Death

post-106705-0-74367500-1447759006_thumb.

Edited by than

It was at the name of the Declaration of the Rights of Man the Jacobin use the reign of Terror

Don't forget that during this period the modo of France was Liberty Egality Brotherhood or Death

attachicon.gifliberte-egalite-fraternite-f9f48.jpg

I take your point in the sense the Declaration was constantly invoked during the Terror - but the subject matter remains a noble set of beliefs.

Sadly it seems rare for there to be a successful assault on an old regime or moribund social order without bloodshed at any stage of history.The British upper class almost uniquely avoided revolution by a shrewd understanding of enlightened self interest - a quality that seems conspicuously lacking among Thailand's unelected elites.

attachicon.gifliberte-egalite-fraternite-f9f48.jpg

I take your point in the sense the Declaration was constantly invoked during the Terror - but the subject matter remains a noble set of beliefs.

Sadly it seems rare for there to be a successful assault on an old regime or moribund social order without bloodshed at any stage of history.The British upper class almost uniquely avoided revolution by a shrewd understanding of enlightened self interest - a quality that seems conspicuously lacking among Thailand's unelected elites.

Sorry to give you a lesson of french history,

from a french guy.....

What's the guy know about climate change?

Like other 120 head of states who come to the summit

For your information, Bangkok is one of the city thearten by global warning. Average elevation (above the sea) is 1.5 m (4.9 ft)

below a simulation of sea rising at BKK

post-106705-0-07138100-1447763500_thumb.

Edited by than

Bon Voyage.

100 000 innocents people have been assasinated at the name of this right (see the Terror from september 1792 to July 1794 end with the fall of Robespierre)

Murdered. The reason Britain declined to get involved with the 200th anniversary 'celebrations' of the French Revolution. Although the Queen did send a nicely bound edition of A Tale of Two Cities in her reply to the invitation.

What's the guy know about climate change?

Like other 120 head of states who come to the summit

For your information, Bangkok is one of the city thearten by global warning. Average elevation (above the sea) is 1.5 m (4.9 ft)

below a simulation of sea rising at BKK

More a case of Bangkok sinking than the sea rising, if anyone cares to check the facts.

PM to attend UN conference on climate change in Paris

2571-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha will attend the United Nations Conference on Climate Change to be held in Paris during November 30-December 11.

The prime minister said he would take this opportunity of attending the UN meeting to give moral support to the French government and its people in light of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris last Friday which left at least 129 people dead and hundred others injured.

He explained that when Bangkok was struck with a bomb attack at the Erawan Shrine in August which left more than 20 people dead and scared away many tourists he wished that the tourists would return and that people elsewhere would give Thailand morale support.

The conference objective is to achieve, for the first time, a legally binding and universal agreement on climate, from all the nations of the world. Pope Francis published an encyclical called Laudato si intended, in part, to influence the conference. The encyclinal calls for action against climate change.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-to-attend-un-conference-on-climate-change-in-paris

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-18

Why doesn't the self appointed PM need permission to go overseas when he requires others need it. People should be afraid he will once again stay something stupid again like he said a few days ago about why Paris was attacked.

Edited by Mango Bob

As Ace and Than observe above, Bangkok is sinking, and is also being adversely affected by rising sea levels (some reports suggest the city will be fully submerged by 2100).

In that context, the head of the junta (as nominal leader of the country) must certainly attend the conference.

And while there, he had better use every chance he gets to seek assistance from others on how to mitigate the problem facing this nations capital.

"I have to express our intimacy, thrust and support to them [French people]."

How come of all the representatives from the Asian nations, when he starts talking, he is the only one they mistake for a waiter?

Those James Bond villain shirts he wears do look a lot like waiter's jackets don't they?

The pink one pictured above looks more like something my 80 year old mother would wear to church though.

Edited by jaywalker

Bon Voyage.

"On April 5, 1793, decorated French military commander Charles Dumouriez caused a sensational panic in Paris when he fled the country and defected to Austria.

It had been nearly four years since French peasants stormed the Bastille, the event that historians generally regard as the start of the French Revolution.

And hardly a week had gone by since without some major crisis, emergency, or tragedy in France.

There were regular violent riots across the country– in Paris, other major cities, and even the rural countryside. Widespread massacres were commonplace.....

Full Article Here: https://www.sovereignman.com/trends/frances-answer-to-terrorism-the-law-of-suspects-18244/?inf_contact_key=7c948f354549c1bb4b3e209a87e409b41e7865e2b06f491784d96f829136c19b

Bon Voyage.

Murdered. The reason Britain declined to get involved with the 200th anniversary 'celebrations' of the French Revolution. Although the Queen did send a nicely bound edition of A Tale of Two Cities in her reply to the invitation.

Rubbish.You have made this up or are profoundly misinformed.The 200th anniversary of the fall of the Bastille was not snubbed by the British Establishment or the Queen because despite the excesses, civilised people accept the French Revolution as part and parcel of the Enlightenment that enriched the Western world and in many respects the whole of mankind.Liberty, fraternity and equality are universal values.

One can have a measure of sympathy with Chou En Lai who when asked about the effect of the French Revolution said "It is too early to tell".But to say the British shunned the 200th anniversary is a lie.

Oddly enough (in response to the Frenchman Than) France itself has always been divided on this matter with a minority strongly opposed to the best ideals of the revolution.Perhaps you are one of them.

Great logic: Other leaders are going, so I'm going too!

How about if they all jump into the middle of an active volcano? You going to follow them in? (we could only hope!)

He's a Madonna fan, and it's currently "Vogue" to be seen to be worried about nonsense such as "climate change".

He wouldn't fit in with the other big fish in small (or big) ponds if he didn't wring his hands and act worried about a bunch of BS created to increase taxes and regulate behavior of the masses.

I'm sure he'll be taking his private Airbus to get there though. Just a few hundred thousand gallons of jet fuel to go stay in a posh hotel with his entourage.

I do so love the charts where folks present what the weather was like 45,000 years ago, like anybody was really around then taking notes, yet the masses lap it up like a whipped dog that's being fed a bowl of warm milk.

If the guy wants to do something to improve the environment then STOP, BY ANY AND EVERY MEANS POSSIBLE, all the pollution that washes up daily on EVERY coastline around his country.

Edited by jaywalker

Oddly enough (in response to the Frenchman Than) France itself has always been divided on this matter with a minority strongly opposed to the best ideals of the revolution.Perhaps you are one of them.

All French are the heirs of the Revolution

We are proud of the victory of Valmy,
We are proud that Napoelon campaigns to bring freedom to oppressed peoples
Vive la France