Getting a successful Non Immigrant VISA based on marriage

Can u clarify this point? Bring copies of your wife's ID card with her signature on it, her house registration . So does your Wife needs a House registered in her name in Thailand?

All Thai people are registered in a "Tabian Ban" (house book)

Being registered does not imply ownership or a requirement to own property.

Can u clarify this point? Bring copies of your wife's ID card with her signature on it, her house registration . So does your Wife needs a House registered in her name in Thailand?

No, but she will be registered on a tambian bahn even though she doesn't own a house. Maybe on the family's house registration or otherwise.

Thanks a lot Cloudos, very good information. I have a question someone might be able to answer about the marriage certificate. My wife and I are legally married in another country (Wife has dual citizenship with Thai Id with her maiden name and foreign passport with our name), do this count as marriage in Thailand? I suspect one must get a letter from the embassy and notarized translation of the foreign marriage certificate (which looks basically very much like a diploma with very few words). Then proceed to the local abata or something and get a Thai marriage certificate? And as far as I know there are no Notary Public in Thailand in the same way as we in the west define it?

Edited by AlQaholic

Some offices might require the Kor Ror 2 (wife's marriage abstract).

This document is easily obtained from your local Amphur.

I just did my 8th Extension of Stay based on Marriage. For the first 5, the Kor Ror 2 was never mentioned. On #6, it was requested, which required a trip to the Amphur and return to the immigration office.

For #7 and #8, they did not seem too interested in that document; they merely took a look then gave it back, no copy was required.

Thanks a lot Cloudos, very good information. I have a question someone might be able to answer about the marriage certificate. My wife and I are legally married in another country (Wife has dual citizenship with Thai Id with her maiden name and foreign passport with our name), do this count as marriage in Thailand? I suspect one must get a letter from the embassy and notarized translation of the foreign marriage certificate (which looks basically very much like a diploma with very few words). Then proceed to the local abata or something and get a Thai marriage certificate? And as far as I know there are no Notary Public in Thailand in the same way as we in the west define it?

Your marriage in another Country is legally binding in Thailand.

You should have your marriage certificate legalised by your own Embassy, then translated to Thai, the legalised by the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok.

Government departments will then accept the legalised translation as proof of a marriage certificate.

However due to certain procedures in Thailand, such as production of a Kor Ror 2 for Immigration, from your Amphur, it would be advisable to register your foreign marriage with the local Amphur.

A Kor Ror 2 basically states there is no record of a divorce since marriage.

If the Amphur has no record of your marriage in the first place, then they couldn't issue a Kor Ror 2.

You could get married again - very romantic and all docs local. Good excuse for a party! wai.gif

You will need to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe and they will issue a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration will want along with your marriage certificate from your home country.

You will need to have your marriage certificate certified by your embassy. If they will not do it you can then do a self certification of it by doing a statement that is is true and correct that will be be notarized by your embassy.

Then you will have to have the certification and your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Then you can go to an Amphoe and register your marriage. They will update your wife's house book registry and give her the option of changing her name to yours on her ID card.

Your marriage in another Country is legally binding in Thailand.

You should have your marriage certificate legalised by your own Embassy, then translated to Thai, the legalised by the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok.

Government departments will then accept the legalised translation as proof of a marriage certificate.

However due to certain procedures in Thailand, such as production of a Kor Ror 2 for Immigration, from your Amphur, it would be advisable to register your foreign marriage with the local Amphur.

A Kor Ror 2 basically states there is no record of a divorce since marriage.

If the Amphur has no record of your marriage in the first place, then they couldn't issue a Kor Ror 2.

Close but it is a Kor Ror 22 that will be issued for a foreign marriage registration.

A Kor Ror 2 is for a marriage done here.

Thanks Joe and Faz for taking the time to make a good reply

So no interest in the marry again option... It was serious but no worries... tongue.png

You may need to prove that you are free to marry before you can get married....might be difficult if you are already married!

Last week I attended Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office to renew my Non Imm "O" based on Thai Wife. This is the 4th time I have renewed my visa. Prior to attending I downloaded a copy of the documents required from the Immigration website as I could not determine if a stat declaration was required from the Australian Embassy as in the past. I decided to not to lodge this document as it did not appear on the list. On arrival at IO I went to my bank and received a letter and update . I was not asked for a stat declaration but for the first time my wife was required to sign a declaration that I had been living at the address provided. Got my temporary stamp in the passport and will attend again in 5 weeks to have the passport updated.

I have been reading comments on these forums for some time and cannot understand why there are so many Visa enquiries. I have handled all my Visa renewals and have been able to find the relevant information on the Immigration website

Last week I attended Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office to renew my Non Imm "O" based on Thai Wife. This is the 4th time I have renewed my visa. Prior to attending I downloaded a copy of the documents required from the Immigration website as I could not determine if a stat declaration was required from the Australian Embassy as in the past. I decided to not to lodge this document as it did not appear on the list. On arrival at IO I went to my bank and received a letter and update . I was not asked for a stat declaration but for the first time my wife was required to sign a declaration that I had been living at the address provided. Got my temporary stamp in the passport and will attend again in 5 weeks to have the passport updated.

I have been reading comments on these forums for some time and cannot understand why there are so many Visa enquiries. I have handled all my Visa renewals and have been able to find the relevant information on the Immigration website

Can you scan and post all these "visas" you say you have been renewing ?

Perhaps you really mean to say that you do not have a "visa" and that you, in fact , have been renewing an "extension of stay" (which is not a visa)

Perhaps there are so many "visa" enquirers because people cannot be bothered to open their passports and read exactly what is stamped inside.

Your Visa died years ago.

You have been extending your permission to stay.

Letter for immigration from bank shouldn't take 2 days, I went into my bank and was given one within 10 mins, updated my bank book while waiting and lodged my application the same day.

yeah i got my letter within just 10 mins or so

had a thai friend with me doing all the taking so that probably helps ;)

as for all the other stuff.... my wife and i studied up on each other and practiced answering questions etc about where we are from etc etc, thinking that we might be interrogated lol.... we even had lots of photos ready from various times since weve known each other to show, with date stamps etc

was worried for absolutely nothing... lol

walked in.... sat down.... said hello in thai... laughed a bit, complained about how hot it was.... ZERO interrogative questions, just a friendly smile, the official said a few words to my wife, and congratulations and stamped our marriage papers... in and out in 5 mins

i memorized a bunch of stupid facts about my wife for nothing! 5555

• Like 1