Driving Lessons - Is driving the car for 40 minutes normal

dsfbrit

The driving lessons in Sweden are 40-45min.

Ha Ha crazy.gif

Whats that got to do with Pattaya.

He did ask if its normal. Well yes its quite common the lessons are 40min in many countries. but you pay for 1h.

What country sells 1hr lessons but only provides 40 mins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds reasonable to me. Parking lots and open areas are safer places to learn for inexperienced drivers. Keep in mind that there are no "learners licenses here. The "drivers education training" purpose is to prepare you for the driving test and get your license. You will not be a competent driver if this is the only driving experience you have before taking the test. I chose to teach my son to drive here. I went to a location where others were learning to drive (including driving schools) on an open piece of land. The "road" was all dirt, but they created "intersections" and some inclines etc, to give the student opportunity to practice their driving skills, clutch, braking, watching for other traffic at intersections etc. I thought it was a good setting because there were several vehicles there much of the time. Scary thing is that, of course, all the drivers there are practicing as well, so inexperienced.

I made an agreement with my son. We practiced for the drivers test "in the parking lot etc" so that he could pass his drivers license. After he received his license, he was considered "legal" to drive on the road, but not confident. So i was always with him when he drove for the next approx 10. Some people may need more or less time to gain that actual road experience. Now three years later, he has expressed that he would not have been dangerous on the road. He is thankful that he received additional guidance and instructions. There were several occasions where i had to grab the steering wheel, preventing an accident. In my passport country the instructor will not pass a student driver if they still require help with their driving. I encourage you to go along with your loved one after they have passed their license and help them become competent and defensive drivers.

All driving schools are the same. They teach or try to teach you how to pass the local driving test. They do not teach you how to drive a car correctly in traffic.

Not true the one near us did a good job teaching ex wife and gave me a refresh course on Thai driving. Both of us were on the road a lot and only a bit on a parking lot.

Ha Ha crazy.gif

He did ask if its normal. Well yes its quite common the lessons are 40min in many countries. but you pay for 1h.

No he asked a question about driving lessons in Thailand.

Not Sweden. facepalm.gif

Amazing how many people keep making references to other countries.

on this forum, totally pointless most of the time. crazy.gif

Not true the one near us did a good job teaching ex wife and gave me a refresh course on Thai driving. Both of us were on the road a lot and only a bit on a parking lot.

gigglem.gifgiggle.gifgigglem.gif

No offence mate

But was that a joke or just bad terminology ?

It just sound real funny wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Ha Ha crazy.gif

What country sells 1hr lessons but only provides 40 mins?

Not Sweden.

they sell 40 minute lessons, but you pay 3 days wages to take one.

gigglem.gifgiggle.gifgigglem.gif

No offence mate

But was that a joke or just bad terminology ?

It just sound real funny wai2.gif

No was not intentional. Normally i post from my desktop computer, but now on a holiday in the south fishing. So i use my phone, works slow and im too lazy to correct it all.

Here is some feedback for anyone who reads this thread to get some insight into driving lessons in Pattaya.

Well that was a bit of an eye opener. We switched the driving lesson to today and I followed them down on the bike. The instructor arrived 10 minutes late at the office in Naklua, so after the drive to NongPreu she started the lessons about 25 minutes past the hour. She then stopped about 15 minutes early. So she drove for about 1 hour 20 minutes of a 2 hour lesson.

That is not the part that bemused me. He started her off around the track. She drove in a circle and reversed and drove off again. After about 10 minutes he got out of the car and sat with me and the other spectators( I think they were mostly instructors) in the shade and chatted to his mates - like I say I think they were the other instructors.

She continued to do the same exercise around the track for the next hour and 10 minutes. I don't think he was even watching.

Nothing surprises me about Thailand, so I have not decided what I think about this at the moment.

I asked how much it would cost if she took another 10 hours of lessons and then took her test and failed and then we wanted her to take another 10 hours (so a total of 30 hours) and I wanted to guarantee that she passed. I was told the additional amount was now 6500 baht on top of the cost of the lessons.

I asked for a copy of the 'highway code' - the driving school has run out so she said I needed to go to the Licensing / Driving Test centre Near The Regents school to get one.

I have lived in Thailand for 11 years now so am never surprised about anything really - I am not even complaining about this driving school.

It just makes me wonder - if this is a good driving school in Pattaya - I shudder to think what a bad one is like.

Thanks again for all the feedback - it was much appreciated.

Wish we'd had a driving school when I taught the wife to drive. Any advice was taken Thai fashion as criticism. Engine screaming in third, or nearly stalling in fifth. Gently suggest a gear change, emergency stop followed by "OK. YOU DRIVE!" She is now an ok driver, but so heavy footed. Given up trying to stop her approaching a line of traffic doing 80 at 120, followed by sudden braking. Just not worth the aggro and silent treatment for the rest of the journey. Not a bad driver really, and very good by Thai standards.

Wish we'd had a driving school when I taught the wife to drive. Any advice was taken Thai fashion as criticism. Engine screaming in third, or nearly stalling in fifth. Gently suggest a gear change, emergency stop followed by "OK. YOU DRIVE!" She is now an ok driver, but so heavy footed. Given up trying to stop her approaching a line of traffic doing 80 at 120, followed by sudden braking. Just not worth the aggro and silent treatment for the rest of the journey. Not a bad driver really, and very good by Thai standards.

As I understand it you can't legally drive on public roads, quiet or not, until you have a license. Getting the license involves taking a drive around a track on your own plus a written exam. Once you have a license you are unleashed to drive anywhere at any speed you like with or without passengers on public roads. If an instructor aids a non licensed learner to drive on public roads he/she would be aiding the driver to commit an offense.

Seems like a crazy system to me.

Oh right, I didn't know it was illegal for a learner driver to drive on the road even with an instructor. Getting involved with the Thai learner industry for the first time has been a real experience!

Can anyone answer these questions please?

1. I believe when taking the test for a car and a motorcycle at the same time, then the written test is taken in the morning and the driving tests (both of them) taken in the afternoon - is that correct?

2. If the person fails one of the driving tests, do they have to take the written test again?

3. I assume the written test is used for both vehicles,

I think I will go down to the Test Centre next week anyway, I intend to understand this whole 'interesting' system before the end of the year!

Ha Ha crazy.gif

No he asked a question about driving lessons in Thailand.

Not Sweden. facepalm.gif

Amazing how many people keep making references to other countries.

on this forum, totally pointless most of the time. crazy.gif

About as pointless as your contribution to this subject.

My gf took driving lessons in Hua Hin, passed her test, but allowing her to drive me home after the test she scared me to bloody death, it took me three months of lessons from me before I allowed her to drive alone, and I am not a driving instructor, the driving test is a joke, as she was doing the reverse parking her driving instructor was on the side walk waving hand signals.

I approached the driving school and instructor later to tell them a piece of my mind, their answer was we told her we would get her through the test and we did,safety , being able to drive did not come in to it.

Amazing Thailand.

My gf took driving lessons in Hua Hin, passed her test, but allowing her to drive me home after the test she scared me to bloody death, it took me three months of lessons from me before I allowed her to drive alone, and I am not a driving instructor, the driving test is a joke, as she was doing the reverse parking her driving instructor was on the side walk waving hand signals.

I approached the driving school and instructor later to tell them a piece of my mind, their answer was we told her we would get her through the test and we did,safety , being able to drive did not come in to it.

Amazing Thailand.

You are right but that problem is not just unique to Thailand. I have been responsible for getting hundreds through the British Motorcycle Test but very few who have passed have ever then taken further training. 90% of the riders I have ridden or currently ride with have never taken any post test training.

The issue is that the Thai test standard is too low and has been open to corruption for many years. Market forces dictate that Instructors offer the minimum training required to pass the test required. The current laws are confusing and as even the basics are not taught to a uniform standard people will revert to what they know - Pedestrian rules.

It seems reasonable to me that the first few lessons should take place somewhere where there is no traffic. If the learner could drive there he surely would be allowed to, but obviously a real beginner could not. The time spent is the same so that's why it's included in the hour.

Wish they would do that here in the UK... Then I would not get stuck behind a learner so often...

For a lot of people 40 minutes can be a lot to take in particularly for the first few lessons.

Edited by Basil B

Amazing Thailand.

You are right but that problem is not just unique to Thailand. I have been responsible for getting hundreds through the British Motorcycle Test but very few who have passed have ever then taken further training. 90% of the riders I have ridden or currently ride with have never taken any post test training.

The issue is that the Thai test standard is too low and has been open to corruption for many years. Market forces dictate that Instructors offer the minimum training required to pass the test required. The current laws are confusing and as even the basics are not taught to a uniform standard people will revert to what they know - Pedestrian rules.

Do you still teach motorcycle training?

Do you live Thai or Uk please?

Do you still teach motorcycle training?

Do you live Thai or Uk please?

Yes I do still teach motorcycle training and have spent the last two years researching how to help and advise some Thai and Ex-pat friends on Koh Samui, I have got a few interested people there who want me to start an advanced riding school there.

Unfortunately not enough for me to to relocate yet so still stuck in the UK.

If you want any help or advice I am happy to share. Just drop me a pm or follow one of the following links.

thairoadcraft.wordpress.com

/uk.linkedin/in/caroljadzia

http://www.facebook.com/thaisaferide

You may also find No Surprise / No Accident interesting, the guys behind it are targeting the UK as there are still a disproportional amount of Bikers killed on UK roads. My friends in Thailand are also finding it usefull.

When you look at the amount of motorcycles in Thailand compared to the UK the question could be why are there not more motorcycle fatalities in Thailand than there are. 15 times the amount of motorcycles but only ten times the amount of accidents. Every motorcyclist in the UK has to do a Compulsory Basic Training course before being allowed on the road, The standard of that basic training is about the same as the Thai Test, only the CBT's a days worth of training and includes 2 hours of road riding as well! We then can spent up to five days on average training someone to UK test standard. That's almost entirely on-road training. The main UK Driving test only has a 24% first time pass rate as well.