When is Duty/Vat collected?

dia1

I've ordered several packages from overseas but never been charged duties or vat, probably because they are less than $50 each.

However I recently ordered a fairly expensive item $2000+ which according to customs is exempt from duty, but is subject to a 7% VAT.

Last night the package showed in BKK customs and then this morning it shows as "Customs Clearance Complete" and then a few hours later it shows arrived at my local DHL delivery facility.

Since it's already at the delivery facility does that mean I was not charged any customs or is vat/duty collected upon delivery? For some reason, I expected I'd have to make a trip to customs and make payment before it was cleared.

Anyway, I live in a condo, so if VAT is collected by DHL upon delivery it worries me since the front desk usually signs for my packages and the VAT would be kind of expensive... probably more than they'd be willing to pay in case I refused the package or something.

Anyone with experience know how/when duty and vat is collected when shipping DHL?

The DHL / FedEx / UPS man will collect the cash on delivery.

If he can't he will (should) leave an invoice so you can either give cash to the receptionist to pay when he re-delivers or (depends upon your local office) you can go to the office, pay and collect your package (or get it re-delivered with nothing to pay).