Is Kuala Lumpur Issuing Multiple-entry Tourist Visas?

Hello Fellow Thai Visa-Uncertainty Sufferers!

I am currently in Penang, Malaysia but am considering going to Kuala Lumpur in order to get a Thai multiple-entry tourist visa (Penang is only issuing single-entry tourist visas currently).

Is anyone there in KL now? What's the story?

I'll settle for a single-entry if I have to, but since I would like to use Bangkok as a hub to visit Angkor Wat, Burma, and Laos in the coming months, as well as explore various parts of Thailand, so a multiple-entry visa would make it easier.

Don't the Thais love us anymore? Don't they want us to spent money there? I promise I won't work or cause trouble...

Don't the Thais love us anymore? Don't they want us to spent money there?

Well, seems TH isn't interested anymore in being a nice and friendly host for foreigners & tourists.

It's a big mistake, if you want to use TH as base for holiday-trips to neighbor-countries, or if you're playing with the idea to bring your money here and to settle down.

In the last years many things are coming down, and TH's neighbors offers very great and more comfortable regulations.

Of course, have fun in TH for a couple of days, but it isn't really worth to accept of being ripped off constantly.

About your question, it seems that KL and Singapore are the only places, which offers multiple-entry-visas...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

:o

Edited by hunter2000

Hello Fellow Thai Visa-Uncertainty Sufferers!

I am currently in Penang, Malaysia but am considering going to Kuala Lumpur in order to get a Thai multiple-entry tourist visa (Penang is only issuing single-entry tourist visas currently).

Is anyone there in KL now? What's the story?

I'll settle for a single-entry if I have to, but since I would like to use Bangkok as a hub to visit Angkor Wat, Burma, and Laos in the coming months, as well as explore various parts of Thailand, so a multiple-entry visa would make it easier.

Don't the Thais love us anymore? Don't they want us to spent money there? I promise I won't work or cause trouble...

I don't believe any consulates, anywhere offer multple entry tourist visas. Penang and KL last month would issue 2 and 3-entry tourist visas, but now will issue only single entry tourist visas.

If you plan to skip in and out of Thailand, why would you need a visa. You can just get 30-day stamps whenever you enter. There's no limit on the quantity of stamps, only the days...and they're free.

I don't believe any consulates, anywhere offer multple entry tourist visas. Penang and KL last month would issue 2 and 3-entry tourist visas, but now will issue only single entry tourist visas.

If you plan to skip in and out of Thailand, why would you need a visa. You can just get 30-day stamps whenever you enter. There's no limit on the quantity of stamps, only the days...and they're free.

The reason I want a tourist visa is because if I want to stay longer than 90 days, I believe I can. I believe with the VOA (visa-on-arrival) "visa exemption" at the border, I could be excluded for three months after three 30-day stamps (AKA 90 days), and I don't want that.

The frustrating thing is that none of us know for sure (maybe not even Immigration) and the whole thing might change in a month or so.

By the way, where did you hear that KL wasn't issuing multiple-entries?

By the way, where did you hear that KL wasn't issuing multiple-entries?

We need to clear up some confusion first. Thai consulates/embassies don't issue "multiple-entry" tourist visas. They issue 1, 2 or 3-entry tourist visas. "Multiple" implies that one can enter and exit as many times as one wishes and such is not the case.

My information regarding KL (Malaysia) not issuing 2 and 3-entry tourist visas came from recent media releases and also directly from visa run businesses in Pattaya.

They are still available from the country of a passport's origin.

I am in Kuala Lumpur right now. I went to the Thai Embassy here today and they ARE issuing single-entry tourist visas for 100 Ringgits (One US Dollar is 3.65 Ringgits), double-entries for 200, and triple-entries for 300.

The Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur is located at 206 Jalan Ampang, a 15-minute walk from the Ampang Park Sky Train station. Their phone numbers are: 03-248-8222, 8350, and 8420.

Their website says the Visa Section is open from 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM, Mon-Fri. This is not true. They only accept visa applications (the form, plus one photo and the fee) from 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM. You then return the following day between 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM to pick it up.

I am in Kuala Lumpur right now. I went to the Thai Embassy here today and they ARE issuing single-entry tourist visas for 100 Ringgits (One US Dollar is 3.65 Ringgits), double-entries for 200, and triple-entries for 300.

Thanks for the info!

Did you use an agent or did you go yourself to the embassy?

MichaelMF

Thanks for the info!

MichaelMF

okay so they are still issuing multi entries but will they issue to a non malaysian? or more specifically will they issue to a Yankee thai girl pirate like myself?

Better question: are there any visa agents in Kuala Lumpur similar to those used in Penang? I don't recollect any reports ever discussing agents used to procure visas in KL.

Better question: are there any visa agents in Kuala Lumpur similar to those used in Penang? I don't recollect any reports ever discussing agents used to procure visas in KL.

Maybe it's an "embassy" in KL whereas Penang has only a "consulate". A different level of formalities. If you don't work through an agent, I believe your chances for success are reduced.

I think what has actually happened in Penang - local agents has achieved with Colsutate staff mutually convinient and profitable agreement: to make all visu-runners to come every 3 months instead of every 6. because it is obvious that 6 months double entry visa enables one to simply hop to the border, cross it and re-enter, and get 2nd round of its allowed 2 months + 1 stay - WITHOUT any profit going into agents' AND colsular's pocket (this is also obvious that Consulate in Penang get their share - especially from those "urgent" next day visas, for which agents charge 50RM service instead of normal 20RM). so, my guess is (since last trip to Penang in Sep when I got only single entry - even a week or so BEFORE whole visa talks started here in this Forum) that agents were not so happy that such 6 months doulbe entry visa cuts their profit.

that last time I have given agent guy (Mohammad, bro of Ali - both in N.J. book shop, next to Swiss guest House on chulia) my passport, paid him money (+50RM), next day called him (to check if everything was OK - coz he said my photo might be not good enough) - he told me "not sure you'll get double or Single entry". I was upset: "please make sure that it is DOUBLE entry. I don't want single. please ask them first, since I'm sure you have well established relations with them - IF they issue only single then please DON'T submit my passport but retunr it to me. I have time - I'll rather go to KL and try to get double entry there". he said - alright, will do that. alarmed, I went back to my hotel, on the way checking couple of other places - is such info is true that ONLY single entry is available - where they have said it is a total nonsence and one German guy has given me his passport to see his fresh TRIPLE entry visa issued tat same very day.

however next day I got to NJ shop , waited nervously half hour extra (was promised to get passport at 12pm so that I have enough time to check out from my hotel and catch my train in Butterworth - AND paid 50RM for THAT "courtesy"). finally at about after 12.30pm guy on motorbike came with bundle of passports. and .... Single entry visa in mine ! I was totally pissed off. so as a bunch of others, whose whole planes for travel in and out Thailand within next few months were completely ruined. I kept quite listening to what Ali was trying to say to all of them. I know this guy since '99 and often rented a bike from him and didn't want to make him "loose face". however I asked him a straight question : WHY didn't you tell us all that only Single entry is available BEFORE you've accepted our money for visa and your service ? his assistant satarted to make some show of telling him something urgent in Tamil and Ali tried to re-treat inside his booth, pretending that he is busy and must attend to some important business. his assistant started talking to me and other guys in English then, sort of exlaining how it wasn't their fault. he said: "please understand - we are in the same position as you" - trying to imply that they were neither informed of nor had any control of this Consulate's decision; and their usual stuff - like "main officer gone on vacation and this new one is always like that". I told him : "BS ! of course you are NOT in the same position as us: first, you DON't even need Thai visa; and then second - for you it doesn't change anything - you still get your 50RM which I paid you! have you wondered - WHY, for what I am willing to pay that much? I know where the Consulate is, I can easily go there and apply myself. the only reason I DON'T mind to pay you, even 50RM instead of normal 20RM, - for your service of MAKING SURE THAT I GET WHAT I WANT, DOUBLE, NOT SINGLE ENTRY. I pay you extra for THAT - so that if necessary you give a tip or bribe or "makan" to those guys in Consulate. I don't pay you just for trivial and very easy (by motorbike it takes max. 10 min from Chulia street) job of going to the Consulate for me ! this is your "makan", interest to ensure that your customers, people who use your service, get what they want - otherwise what they need you for at all ?"

I left to catch my train, totally pissed off and disgusted, leaving behind a small crowd of Aussies and few others, holding their passports at loss, thinking what to do about it.

I swore to myself though that I'll never ever again use these agents again. I watned to right this all much earlier - but whole Visa change issue has started on this Forum and I wanted to see first what's the result of this re-shuffle. finally I've read somewhere here that the decision of NOT issuing other than Single visas was NOT a new rule imposed by Immigration Head office - but it is entirely decision (more like a whim?) of local officers in each and every particular Consulate.

so, this piece has fallen in to my earlier understanding of this whole affair - that simply GREEDY agents has made certain arrangements to make it certain that local Colnsulate officer issued such order.

P.S.

BTW - have anyone ever wondered if the whole issue of visa rules change had had somewhat similar cause? :o

I mean - some companies which obviously profit from all those fees they charge their customers, had decided to bring it to "professional level" and influence the Immigration, whom obviously they work very closely with, to re-consider and change all these rules so that more people would pay more fees to both Immigration AND all those agencies ? because if all the border-hoppers are eliminated - then either one must go to Embassy / Consulate and pay them fees (as well as some local agents there) to obtain NOT FREE tourist visa or .... make arrangements with agencies here to obtain long-term visa.

I think this is smart and very logical step for them, oh, and VERY highly professional one ! :D eliminate entirely or at least reduce drastically the number of those who DON'T pay anybody for visa, make them come to us and pay for long-term visa. oh, and make sure that there are no "unwanted" elements among those ("not serious about investing into country"=not paying us all the fees associated with processing all sorts of visas).

well, after all, this whole website and Forum is named Thai Visa - isn't it ? :D most probably (and even logical) since the beginning its whole idea and very purpose has been to ensure that sooner or later it will come to this present point - Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules ! :D and more is to come as I've noticed was mentioned more than once in here !

I think what has actually happened in Penang - local agents has achieved with Colsutate staff

So and what do we learn from all this: Corruption is bad and using agents instead doing it yourself is bad to.

A wise man should know this. But maybe you are only an old man not a wise one.

Mr. aaaaaa, there was a newpaper announcement back in September that ALL Malaysia consulates/embassies have decided to issue only singe-entry tourist visas.

It's likely that if you had taken the time to travel to KL, you would have done no better.

I find it very amusing that you are concerned about the difference between a 20 MR fee and 50....that's an $8 difference!

You should be more concerned about whether or not you will be able to get even a single-entry visa in the future...rather than ranting about your inability to obtain a 2-entry visa and worrying about paying $8 extra to your "agent".

Most of us are worried that back-to-back tourist visas from neighboring countries might in fact be a thing of the past. I'd be happy just to know that I can get any visa in Penang this coming year.

Edited by tropo

Most of us are worried that back-to-back tourist visas from neighboring countries might in fact be a thing of the past. I'd be happy just to know that I can get any visa in Penang this coming year.

Indeed thats much more important. But the question is who is in charge for the changes and why did they make them. If they still issue non limited back-to-back visas in the future then maybe some of aaaaaa's arguments are not wrong. We will see.

Indeed thats much more important. But the question is who is in charge for the changes and why did they make them. If they still issue non limited back-to-back visas in the future then maybe some of aaaaaa's arguments are not wrong. We will see.

I just called KL and asked about multiple entry Tourist visa's and they said no. Also seemed to imply no multiple entry visa's of any kind. They will just issue a single and if its the type that can be extended then you would need to go to immigration in Thailand and extend.

I just called KL and asked about multiple entry Tourist visa's and they said no. Also seemed to imply no multiple entry visa's of any kind. They will just issue a single and if its the type that can be extended then you would need to go to immigration in Thailand and extend.

Yes, that's true. I came back from KL two days ago. I got my Non-O multiple without any problem but my friend applied for a tourist-visa triple entry and he didn't get it. He only got a single entry Tourist-Visa. The Embassy told him that they don't issue tourist-visa with more than one entry anymore.