Phuket Town mops up tonnes of trash after Loy Kratong

rooster59

Phuket Town mops up tonnes of trash after Loy Kratong

post-247607-0-74848600-1448691521_thumb.

Officials and volunteers cleaned up 13 tonnes of kratong and other rubbish at Saphan Hin alone. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Officials and volunteers cleaned up an estimated 13 tonnes of kratong from the clogged waterways at Saphan Hin in the mass clean-up operation held on Thursday (Nov 26) in the wake of this year’s Loy Kratong Festival on Wednesday night.

Under a campaign called “Big Cleaning Day”, organised by Phuket City Municipality, about 600 officials and volunteers joined forces to carry out the mass clean-up.

A further 2.6 tonnes of kratong and rubbish were collected at Suan Luang (Rama IX Park), also in Phuket Town.

The clean-up teams comprised officials from Phuket City Municipality, Rassada Municipality, Koh Kaew Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor), Phuket Provincial Administration Organization as well as local businesses.

The teams removed kratong, picked up trash, cut grass and cleaned the streets.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-town-mops-up-tonnes-of-trash-after-loy-kratong-55169.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-28

I hope that at some point, Thailand wakes up, and realizes that the way Loy Krathong and Songkran are celebrated is no longer environmentally sustainable. I also hope that farangs come to the realization that they should observe, but not contribute to such damaging activities.

come on, the krathongs are all made of biodegadable natural material ! The use of styrofoam has long been banned !

The amount of other trash like plastic bags, candy wraps and drinking cups, is not more or less present on every other weekend, when thais swarm the beaches for a holiday.

They love to litter the beaches and the beachwalk with trash. It should be publicly declared by the government as being a "part of our local culture", as it is so obvious.

Maybe putting up more rubbish bins will help, or am I dreaming the impossible?

Edited by crazygreg44

I hope that at some point, Thailand wakes up, and realizes that the way Loy Krathong and Songkran are celebrated is no longer environmentally sustainable. I also hope that farangs come to the realization that they should observe, but not contribute to such damaging activities.

come on, the krathongs are all made of biodegadable natural material ! The use of styrofoam has long been banned !

The amount of other trash like plastic bags, candy wraps and drinking cups, is not more or less present on every other weekend, when thais swarm the beaches for a holiday.

They love to litter the beaches and the beachwalk with trash. It should be publicly declared by the government as being a "part of our local culture", as it is so obvious.

Clearly, it's been a while since you were back home. Unless that happens to be Singapore, having a go at littering Thais is a case of pots and kettles.

...one cannot say that even observing the festival is fun any more....let alone that ghastly aftermath...

...thieves on one hand swiping peoples hopes and wishes as soon as they hit the water....

...an ecological nightmare on the other.....

...a little naive to think that the tonnes will just float away and disappear...

...at least innovate....some people use flour...why not make it completely edible...and end up feeding the fish at the same time...

......as for the giant flying lanterns...duhhhh...

Edited by SOTIRIOS

Clearly, it's been a while since you were back home. Unless that happens to be Singapore, having a go at littering Thais is a case of pots and kettles.

He is correct though. They need to have rubbish bins located every 20-30m along the beaches and streets. This will certainly help. What do you expect people to do with rubbish when there are no bins available anywhere?

He is correct though. They need to have rubbish bins located every 20-30m along the beaches and streets. This will certainly help. What do you expect people to do with rubbish when there are no bins available anywhere?

Take it home. Next question pse.

...one cannot say that even observing the festival is fun any more....let alone that ghastly aftermath...

...thieves on one hand swiping peoples hopes and wishes as soon as they hit the water....

...an ecological nightmare on the other.....

...a little naive to think that the tonnes will just float away and disappear...

...at least innovate....some people use flour...why not make it completely edible...and end up feeding the fish at the same time...

......as for the giant flying lanterns...duhhhh...

Of course one can say that, I think that the festival is fun.

I'm still waiting for your first post which shows any kind of fun though, so I understand why you don't have any fun.