Buying Advice, Computer For Thailand

boatguy

I'm interested in getting a new computer for my lady friend in Thailand. It can be either a desktop or laptop unit, primarily for email communications between the two of us, and for use by her son, a very good jr high student of science.

I live in the USA at this time and there are a hugh number of sources for discounted computer purchases in this country, both on line and in stores. I have not had a chance to look thru the sources available within Thailand itself, so my question of this forum is what deals might I expect to find in Thailand??

Can I find a better deal in Thailand or USA??

In Khon Kaen what is my best option for hi-speed service??

boatguy - First.....Welcome.

From the limited information you provided, it would be difficult to give recomendations as to a specific type/make/model/cost.

First, there's the question of your budget. Then, in addition to those uses you did mentioned, does the sons "science" studies involve things like Computer Aided Design (CAD)? Is he into gaming? Does the son or his mother (or you) plan to use the computer for photo/video editing? All these and many, many other factors will determine what minimum system will be need, and its cost.

Perhaps you could post back more details as to future useage and your budget, so readers can post their recomendations.

waldwolf

I would suggest buying a PC/laptop in Thailand if it is to be used by Thais. That gets you a dual English/Thai keyboard and bundled software that has both English/Thai capabilities. You won't find that in the US. The downside is that it will be more expensive in Thailand - maybe 25 - 50% more. The upside is that you can usually get some kind of support for a Thai bought product in Thailand - forget about that if you buy one in the US.

I would suggest buying a PC/laptop in Thailand if it is to be used by Thais. That gets you a dual English/Thai keyboard and bundled software that has both English/Thai capabilities. You won't find that in the US. The downside is that it will be more expensive in Thailand - maybe 25 - 50% more. The upside is that you can usually get some kind of support for a Thai bought product in Thailand - forget about that if you buy one in the US.

I concur. Trying to use stickers for thai keys they wear off within weeks. And Acer for instance gives you 3 years warranty within Thailand which is also nice. But yes, price is going to be higher in Thailand.

I would probably opt for a laptop in this case; a nice compact and portable solution. Check out Acer's web site for prices and selection within Thailand. It doesn't sound like very high requirements so about any new system should do. If you are looking to squeeze as much longevity as possible out of it, I'd recommend getting Core 2 Duo (Intel) or any AMD dual core. Intel should run a little cooler which is notable for the climate.

Buying a desktop in the USA:

postives: cheaper, perhaps more selection

negatives: must bring through Thai customs possibly paying duty, must buy and install Thail software* for wife/son, and also buy Thai keyboard, no warranty/tech support

Buying a desktop in Thailand:

positives: the operating system and software (if installed) will already be Thai as will be the keyboard, warranty & tech support in Thailand

negatives: price**

Buying a notebook in USA: probably cheaper, but unable to swap keyboard

Buying a notebook in Thailand: more expensive, but preloaded Thai software, warranty service & tech support

*If she or her son are not computer geeks, installing Thai Windows and/or other software might be something you'd want to avoid. Even if you are a geek, when Windows/software prompts for info, decisions, etc during installation you will have to rely on their translations of the screen messages. I am a geek, and used to pull my hair out installing Japanese Windows & software and trying to have a Japanese housewife make her best stab at translating the technical terms. :-)

**And, even though in general computers are more expensive in Thailand, you can still get decent basic computers at places like Big C and Tesco for about B16,000. Decent prices can also be had at Pantip Plaza (BKK) and Tukcom (Pattaya).

Another possible caveat of buying an inexpensive computer in USA: make sure the power supply is switchable, and not a 110V-only one. I don't think many manufacturers would scrimp to that level, but make sure!

Thanks for the help thus far. I was unaware that I had responses to my posting as I did not receive any notification of those postings. I participate in several BoatDesign forums and they notify me whenever there is a posting on any subject I have contributed to.

It does appear as though I should look at purchasing in Thailand for the dual language software sitution, even though she speaks english very well (having been a teacher of english and science). I had thought that an english version might prod the son to learning more english quicker, and with science in mind as a career he needs to be more Singaporian in his approach to the really worldly use of english as the worldwide communication language in business and science.

I don't need a CAD capability for him at this time even though many of todays units certainly have quite the capabilities in stowage and processing. I'm certainly NOT a computer geek, so I would not want to try installing dual language software, but I figured I could certainly find a young Thai person with these skills.

Speaking of that, as I spend more time over there I thought I might find a young Thia (or expate)computer geek to help with updating my boatdesign website,

<www.RunningTideYachts.com>

It does appear as thief can be a real problem, so I thought maybe a desktop unit would be less of a target than a notebook unit?? And are desktop units several hundred dollars less than laptops, as in the USA?

I just looked at the power supply for my Dell laptop and noted it stated "100-240V input", and notable "Made in Thailand". So I guess with a change in the plug-in end, this could be operable in Thailand? The Made-In had made me think that computers might be purchased cheaper over there.

How about hi-speed service in a residence in Khon Kaen?

It does appear as theft can be a real problem, so I thought maybe a desktop unit would be less of a target than a notebook unit?? And are desktop units several hundred dollars less than laptops, as in the USA?

You are correct, a heck of a lot cheaper, so spend a bit extra and and buy a 19" flat screen monitor to go with it . Check that the monitor can be secured to something. :o

Bring it from the usa and buy the Thai software in bkk, if you want to save a lot of $$$$$ :D

Yes, so True.

...I concur. Trying to use stickers for thai keys they wear off within weeks.....

You can go to Fortune or Pantip and get a USB Thai Keyboard starting at 200 Baht

.....negatives: must bring through Thai customs possibly paying duty, must buy and install Thail software* for wife/son, and also buy Thai keyboard, no warranty/tech support....

I used to travel very frequently to Thailand and I always had High-End Laptops with me. I had them slung over my arm and I have only ever been asked what it was for..... My response email and work.

:o What is he cost of a laptop in Thailand a standard wifi/dvd player?

Starting at 25k Baht

My advice, If you buy a global brand say HP, they will honor a warranty from outside their market. Make sure ou get a letter from the dealer stating the machine has a world wide warranty.

Desktops and Laptops these days are just an assembly of OEM Parts. So it really isn't the brand on the outside, rather the warranty support and the features the model has. Without a doubt a laptop will break one way or another, as they are moved around and subjected to more knocks and bumps than a desktop. Also the environmental issue of heat, humidity dust etc means a laptop will have a harder life. So in the end you of your partner will be in the service department.

I have had my Laptop at the service department at HP twice and their service has been fantastic. As for another brand I have I tried getting it fixed at Pantip and never again.

I use a desktop but I have an old IBM Thinkpad for emergencies and for my Thai wife to use. I think all the laptops will accept a remote keyboard. I bought a remote keyboard for the IBM that has both Thai and English letters on it. I have also loaded the Thai fonts so it works with both English and Thai.

The remote keyboard solves the problem so I wouldn't place a premium on a dual language computer just for the keyboard. A laptop is great for a novice because the user doesn't need to worry about a jungle of wires. My desktop DOES look like a wire jungle. LOL!

Do not buy a laptop, unless you really need the portability.

They are much more expensive and difficult to up grade in the future.

Go for a locally assembled desktop in Thailand.

It will have a Thai keyboard, essential, and Thai based sw.

If something goes wrong then take it back to the shop to be fixed.

I used to travel very frequently to Thailand and I always had High-End Laptops with me. I had them slung over my arm and I have only ever been asked what it was for..... My response email and work.

Try wheeling a luggage trolley packed high with a desktop computer and monitor still in their original boxes, and see how far you get.

I build my own systems and when I moved my desktop system to Thailand, the computer was in the box the Lian Li case came in. The Customs guy stopped me and asked what was in the box, and I said "A computer case" and he let me go. Heck, what's a little half-truth between friends. :o