Bike for Dad Won’t be a Public Holiday, Cabinet Rules

snoop1130

Bike for Dad Won’t be a Public Holiday, Cabinet Rules
By: Sasiwan Mokkhasen

14495710131449571069l.jpg
Cyclists pedal through a Bike for Dad dry run on Nov. 22 in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Roads will close throughout the capital city and elsewhere for a nationwide cycling event honoring His Majesty the King, but the day won’t be made a public holiday, the junta cabinet decided today.

Despite some hopes that the Bike for Dad event would be cause to add another long weekend to December, a government spokesman today dismissed the idea, as he said officials believe the private sector will support the event, the second since an August cycling event honoring Queen Sirikit, by giving employees the day off.

Promotion for the event has saturated public and private channels, and labor officials Monday said they’ve asked the private sector to let employees join the cycling event without counting it as taking leave.

More than 500,000 registered cyclists are expected to join the ride dedicated to His Majesty the King, whose birthday was Saturday. Taking place at the same time across Thailand and in some major cities aboard, the Bangkok cyclists will be lead by Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn.

National police chief Chakthip Chaijinda today told reporters that police preparing the event’s security plan were confident there would be no incidents or attempts to disrupt the event.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1449571013

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-08

I dont think its Thai bashing to say.. What a total cluster <deleted> of epic epic proportions..

Come ride.. But we dont officially give you the day off.. but businesses are encouraged to give a day off.. but may still be open.. but probably not able to do any business..

On this auspicious day to honor His Majesty the King you'd think that this would be enough reason for a joyous 4 day holiday, but not for the Big P. Pm Prayuth shows everyone whose boss and calls Friday a normal working day, nothing to celebrate, get back to work slaves.

Prayut's administration has some heavy hitting conglomerates backing it. Public holidays cost these companies.

The tourism industry would welcome a 4 day break. Sad that some companies controlling the administration can't see that. I was going to go for a long weekend break myself but not now I have to go to work on Friday.

Not a public holiday but companies are"lent on" to have a holiday. All in aid of what? A bike ride in a city that in 5-10 years time will literally grind to a halt with volume of traffic and the only way to get around will be shanks pony and pushbike

21 teachers and administrators (including me) from the college where I work will join Bike for Dad so it's not an official holiday but still... Those students who are normally staying in the college dormitory was absent today (about 50% of the students) as they where only scheduled to study today and tomorrow this week, so for them it's 9 days to spend with their families. And last week most students attended Future Farmers of Thailand so no lessons last week either... So some of my students will basically have a total of 16 days off from school!

And how are our dear car drivers gonna go to work now, when the roads are blocked???? Lol...

I miay have mis-understood, but I got the impression that driving to work in the morning would be no problem, only getting back the same day rolleyes.gif

Anyone have a link on road closures?

I tried searching on line... Could

Only find articles advising "24 roads will be closed" but then they only name 3 of the roads in the article

They also mention "43 cross streets" will be closed... But no names or locations given ???

So I k ow I will be able To Drive to work, but have no idea if I can drive home or not??!

Or maybe just have to drive to work and if find out my road is closed ... Then just have to sit around the office until 10 pm?

Archived