Four killed and one injured in a car race accident in Thailand

webfact

And Thailand is NOT serious about addressing the issue of traffic safety. I am not sure I have ever been in a country that is less serious about traffic safety. The so called police do not engage in traffic safety. I just spent 10 hours on the road yesterday, driving over 700 km, and not once did I see a highway patrol car, except at one of those ridiculous traffic stops, where who knows what is accomplished, if anything. One thing I do know for sure. Those stops are NOT about traffic safety.

Not once did I see anyone pulled over for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, going 50kph in the fast lane, cutting other cars off when entering onto a highway at slow speed, etc, etc. Not once. How do you label yourself as a serious nation, when you do not take the safety of your citizens seriously? How do you label yourself the Royal Thai Police, if you are not willing to do real police work?

This carnage will continue, and eventually Thailand will overtake Libya, to take over the number one spot as the most traffic fatalities in the world, per capita. Number one. Currently number two. Not a proud accomplishment. Congratulations to the current administration for doing NOTHING about this enormous problem. Congratulations for doing nothing to reform the police, nor protect the people.

I think it is a safe bet to say Thailand is well clear in the number one position.From the headline it says 4 killed,but only 2 were killed at the roadside and 2 later at the hospital.The statistics will only show 2 road deaths,the later ones at the hospital will not count towards the overall yearly statistics.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my travelling experience in Asia too high a proportion of minivan drivers carrying passengers drive recklessly..... But in Japan they were very proficient and professional can't comment on Singapore or Malaysia .... But certainly in the Philippines and Indonesia they are crazy!

The headline does not do justice to this story. I expected to read about a bunch of teenagers.

I once encountered two cement trucks racing each other on a highway in Chachoengsao province. I kept well left and let them pass but it was scary all the same.

Maybe these incidents occur because of the "me FIRST" mentality of the average Thai. Oh and then there's the lack of law enforcement too - which is the NORM.

I experienced the same thing about 3 weeks ago, mini van from Rayong to Pattaya he was driving a little fast but not too bad,

about half way we where past by another mini van, he just went crazy trying to past this guy, I could not beleive that he would

risk the lives of all the passengers, so I told him to stop and got out with my girlfriend and he just took off racing after him, from

now on I will never take a mini van, they are reckless and don't care about anybody they just care about money and are willing

to kill you for it, and the thing that bothers me the most is that we where the only ones to get out people where terrified but stayed

in ???

Crushed on the steering wheel? I thought modern cars had collapsible steering columns for just such things? Are vans different or did the driver just go so far in it didn't matter?

When the front of the van meets the drivers seat, wouldn't you think and expect the steering wheel to inflict some injury?

And to think we actually pay these guys to take us places! I hope they families Sue the company of the driver for huge amounts in damages. RIP to the poor souls that trusted their lives to that man and that company

Sadly we live in a lawless country. Not Thai bashing just stating fact, anyone believe different they are dreaming,

A few years back, wasn't there a news story that vans will be fined over 2000 Baht or something like that for speeding over 90?

That obviously needs to be enforced tho.

It wasn't even a few years back it was much more recent. Why don't they fix a speed control unit to every mini bus. then it might be safer to travel in one.

That suggestion would embrace a concept known the world over as common sense, reason, concerns about safety, regard for human life and limb, and concern over lawsuits and liability. Either none of that exists here, or it exists barely, to the point where it is not considered an important factor.

Surely, if the van companies really felt a serious pinch, every time one of their dummies kills himself and his passengers, it would be an issue for them. But, they do the math. Ten thousand baht here, twenty thousand baht there, all taken care of. Problem goes away. The "Authorities" (a word that must be used in a very, very loose manner here) barely register a concern, every time this happens.

Only when there is enough pressure from outside of the country, do these imbeciles leading the ministries take notice. Only then. And then, only for a few days. Transport Minister Arkham Termpittayapaisit is completely, and totally asleep at the wheel. There are a hundred ways to address this emergency issue. How many are being considered, addressed, implemented, or followed up on? How concerned is he, over the safety and welfare of his people. How much sleep does he lose, every time a mini van crashes, and people are slaughtered, by these nearly insane drivers?

Thailand is ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities, with 44 deaths per 100,000 people (5.1 percent of Thailands overall deaths), according to statistics from the World Health Organization and The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in the United States.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/

In Southeast Asia the title of Asias deadliest roads is firmly held by Thailand with 44 deaths per 100,000 population, followed by: Malaysia with 30; Vietnam with 24; Indonesia with 21; Laos with 17; Cambodia with 15; Brunei Darussalam with 14; Myanmar with 10; Philippines with 9; and Singapore with 6.y

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

The 2000 baht fine was dropped because people refused to pay it, and there was no plan as part of thr scheme on how to make people pay the fine, the whole silly thing simply lasted a few weeks, amazing Thailand.

A few years back, wasn't there a news story that vans will be fined over 2000 Baht or something like that for speeding over 90?

That obviously needs to be enforced tho.

It wasn't even a few years back it was much more recent. Why don't they fix a speed control unit to every mini bus. then it might be safer to travel in one.

That suggestion would embrace a concept known the world over as common sense, reason, concerns about safety, regard for human life and limb, and concern over lawsuits and liability. Either none of that exists here, or it exists barely, to the point where it is not considered an important factor.

Surely, if the van companies really felt a serious pinch, every time one of their dummies kills himself and his passengers, it would be an issue for them. But, they do the math. Ten thousand baht here, twenty thousand baht there, all taken care of. Problem goes away. The "Authorities" (a word that must be used in a very, very loose manner here) barely register a concern, every time this happens.

Only when there is enough pressure from outside of the country, do these imbeciles leading the ministries take notice. Only then. And then, only for a few days. Transport Minister Arkham Termpittayapaisit is completely, and totally asleep at the wheel. There are a hundred ways to address this emergency issue. How many are being considered, addressed, implemented, or followed up on? How concerned is he, over the safety and welfare of his people. How much sleep does he lose, every time a mini van crashes, and people are slaughtered, by these nearly insane drivers?

Thailand is ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities, with 44 deaths per 100,000 people (5.1 percent of Thailands overall deaths), according to statistics from the World Health Organization and The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in the United States.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/

In Southeast Asia the title of Asias deadliest roads is firmly held by Thailand with 44 deaths per 100,000 population, followed by: Malaysia with 30; Vietnam with 24; Indonesia with 21; Laos with 17; Cambodia with 15; Brunei Darussalam with 14; Myanmar with 10; Philippines with 9; and Singapore with 6.y

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

The 2000 baht fine was dropped because people refused to pay it, and there was no plan as part of thr scheme on how to make people pay the fine, the whole silly thing simply lasted a few weeks, amazing Thailand.

Quietly confiscate the vehicle late at night. Leave a note that the vehicle can be picked up for an additional "you screwed up and did not pay the fine penalty" of 10,000 baht. And an additional 1,000 baht per day for procrastination. After 30 days, the vehicle is auctioned, and the funds are used for much needed road repair. The word will spread like wildfire, and the entire nation wil know the authorities are serious for once. The fines will begin being paid immediately, without question.

The reality is, if you do not do anything, you are admitting you are incompetent, negligent, indifferent, foolish, stupid, ignorant, scrawny, weak, incapable, and unworthy of a position of leadership. So, do something. Do anything. But, don't do nothing. If you do nothing, you are admitting that you are a good for nothing.