UK: Lee Rigby murder: Michael Adebolajo suing over teeth lost in prison

webfact

Lee Rigby murder: Michael Adebolajo suing over teeth lost in prison

Michael Adebolajo lost two front teeth out while he was held in Belmarsh Prison

LONDON: -- One of the men who murdered Fusilier Lee Rigby is seeking compensation over a prison incident in which two of his front teeth were knocked out.

Michael Adebolajo claimed five prison officers assaulted him at London's high-security Belmarsh prison two years ago, but they were cleared of blame.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said it would "robustly defend" the claim.

Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are serving life for killing Fusilier Rigby near a London barracks in May 2013.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35058076

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-10

While I can sympathize with the commenters on here, you do have to be really careful when you condone the withholding of due process under the law for for individual cases, say denying someone you don't care his day in court and justice under the law. Particular examples have a horrible way of becoming generalized principles.

If 5 officers beat Michael Adebolajo up and broke his teeth, this is clearly against the law and even if he murdered 100 people he is entitled, the law to sue for compensation and to have the case heard by a court. If we don't respect the human and legal rights of people we don't like, then why on earth would anyone respect our own human and legal rights? If prison officers are entitled to beat this fellow up, why can;t they beat up others they don't like, pedophiles for example? Or you if you were unlucky enough to be sent to prison and the warders didn't like your face for some reason, why can't they just smash your teeth out?

On another issue, I am not altogether clear why a beheading death seems to be considered to be so worse than another death, say being bombed and dying a lingering death from shrapnel in the gut, or being hit with napalm or some other incendiary device, both of which would be much more painful to the person being killed. In medieval times it was a privilege reserved for nobility to be beheaded instead of being hanged, and in the French Revolution was done for speed. I would welcome any reasoned thoughts on what our revulsion at beheading is based on.

retarius, on 10 Dec 2015 - 17:30, said:

While I can sympathize with the commenters on here, you do have to be really careful when you condone the withholding of due process under the law for for individual cases, say denying someone you don't care his day in court and justice under the law. Particular examples have a horrible way of becoming generalized principles.

If 5 officers beat Michael Adebolajo up and broke his teeth, this is clearly against the law and even if he murdered 100 people he is entitled, the law to sue for compensation and to have the case heard by a court. If we don't respect the human and legal rights of people we don't like, then why on earth would anyone respect our own human and legal rights? If prison officers are entitled to beat this fellow up, why can;t they beat up others they don't like, pedophiles for example? Or you if you were unlucky enough to be sent to prison and the warders didn't like your face for some reason, why can't they just smash your teeth out?

On another issue, I am not altogether clear why a beheading death seems to be considered to be so worse than another death, say being bombed and dying a lingering death from shrapnel in the gut, or being hit with napalm or some other incendiary device, both of which would be much more painful to the person being killed. In medieval times it was a privilege reserved for nobility to be beheaded instead of being hanged, and in the French Revolution was done for speed. I would welcome any reasoned thoughts on what our revulsion at beheading is based on.

This POS who the police shot and wounded at the crime scene should never seen a court room.

There is no reasoned thoughts on this killing. There is plenty of video's online if you care to look.

I will stand by my statement, he should have died at the crime scene.

Lee Rigby did not quite have his head removed in the quick way a guillotine works. He was ran over and they then chopped at his neck with knives. Not the same at all I am afraid to say!

in theory you are right, and rules should not be changed because of what that POS did.

IN PRACTICE however, the court should just dismiss the case, "no evidence"... next.

What a prick!!

Beheading in France was done in one very swift move not multiple chops with a cleaver and stabs with a knife.

One of the principles of British justice is that any person accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Even if, as in the horrendous murder of Lee Rigby, the persons accused are obviously guilty, and have admitted their guilt, they are still entitled to their day in court.

I, for one, hopes that never changes.

If we dispense with that basic principle because the crime is as horrendous and revolting as Lee Rigby's murder was, or because we don't like the ideology of the accused then we are no better than the terrorists.

As for this compensation claim; the incident occurred whilst Adebolajo was on remand; so technically was still innocent as he had not been found guilty by a court.

At the time, it was said by the officers concerned that it happened while he was being restrained using approved methods; and the officers concerned were suspended while the incident was investigated and it was found that they had no case to answer.

However, that was an internal investigation by the prison service.

Maybe it is a good thing that this case will be heard by a court?

IF this was a deliberate and callous beating and we allow prison officers to act in this way with one prisoner and get away with it; who will be the next victim? An innocent person they don't like the look of?

Obviously, no one here knows the true facts of this; hopefully the court will find them out.

Adebalajo is by no means the first prisoner to make such a claim, and if he does win, as he has a whole life tariff, he wont see much benefit.

The MoJ said it had successfully defended two-thirds of prisoner claims over the last three years.

Prisoners only have limited access to any money they might claim while they are in prison. Limits are set depending on behaviour and money can only be spent in the prison shop.

Edited by 7by7

Maybe this POS will get his compensation and enjoy a good laugh about it, but he must be too stupid to see that that is another one he owes 'The System'. We can console ourselves that more unfortunate accidents may well be heading his way and that he will need eyes in the back of his head every waking moment.

'Sorry, son, no exercise. Looks like rain.' 'Did anyone see what happened? Sorry, fella, neither did we. Nothing we can do...'

I do believe you are serious.

One of the principles of British justice is that any person accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Even if, as in the horrendous murder of Lee Rigby, the persons accused are obviously guilty, and have admitted their guilt, they are still entitled to their day in court.

I, for one, hopes that never changes.

If we dispense with that basic principle because the crime is as horrendous and revolting as Lee Rigby's murder was, or because we don't like the ideology of the accused then we are no better than the terrorists.

As for this compensation claim; the incident occurred whilst Adebolajo was on remand; so technically was still innocent as he had not been found guilty by a court.

At the time, it was said by the officers concerned that it happened while he was being restrained using approved methods; and the officers concerned were suspended while the incident was investigated and it was found that they had no case to answer.

However, that was an internal investigation by the prison service.

Maybe it is a good thing that this case will be heard by a court?

IF this was a deliberate and callous beating and we allow prison officers to act in this way with one prisoner and get away with it; who will be the next victim? An innocent person they don't like the look of?

Obviously, no one here knows the true facts of this; hopefully the court will find them out.

Adebalajo is by no means the first prisoner to make such a claim, and if he does win, as he has a whole life tariff, he wont see much benefit.

The MoJ said it had successfully defended two-thirds of prisoner claims over the last three years.

Prisoners only have limited access to any money they might claim while they are in prison. Limits are set depending on behaviour and money can only be spent in the prison shop.

You are of course correct in all you state.

But believe me there would be public outcry if he was given compensation.

It's obvious he was given a good beating by said officers ,I would indeed like to shake their hands and buy them a pint.

This will be swiftly put to bed in the appropriate manner to which it deserves.

This POS who the police shot and wounded at the crime scene should never seen a court room.

There is no reasoned thoughts on this killing. There is plenty of video's online if you care to look.

I agree. There is only one outcome that befits a radicalised Jihadist and that is to grant their wish to go to Paradise (as soon as Possible)

I agree. There is only one outcome that befits a radicalised Jihadist and that is to grant their wish to go to Paradise (as soon as Possible)

The more we can help on the way, the merrier.

They don't want fair trials, let them at their virgins ASAP.

What do the women get, by the way?

TV name is "Retarius" or a mispelt "Retarded".

But believe me there would be public outcry if he was given compensation.

This guy is on a whole life tariff so there's not a lot else he can do to brighten up his miserable existence other than be a general pain in the butt.

Let Adebolajo enjoy his various compensation awards, for which there will be many, I just hope Lee Rigby's family claim every penny from his victory fund in a civilian court. Shouldn't take long to successfully redress the vexatious claims.

I think there is a big difference between using a Guillotine and a knife to behead someone!!!!