Can't Prove Income to renew Non-O by Dec 28 - What can I do? Please help

PLease help, I'm shaking in my sandals with uncertainty.

The Story:

This year I can't prove income (due to a US employer illegally witholding my wages)

My Non-O visa ends Dec.28th, 2015

I have a work permit offer for March 2016

I've renewed based on marriage the last 4 years

I have 2 children who are thai citizens as well

I am Canadian living on Koh Phangan with my family

* It's been suggested I do a visa trip to Kota Bharu, Malaysia and apply for 90 day tourist visa. Comments? I'm scared to leave Thailand without knowing if I can get back in, to my family

* Can I apply for 90 days extension in Nathon, Samui based on anything? Kids? Work permit offer for March? Anything other than proving income? (best possible option if possible)

* Can I apply for 90 days extension based on an employers letter of intent to do me up a work permit in March?

Please help, this mess is seriously doing my head in.

Thank you!

Short term. You can apply for a 60 day extension of stay on the basis of being married or having children. No financial information needed. It will cost 1,900 baht.

• You can apply for that anytime between now and the 28th Dec. The extension will start from the 28th regardless of when you apply.
  • If you sort out your income issue within the 60 days you can still apply for a 1 year extension (during the 60 days) to start from the end of the 60 days.
  • The 60 day extension is only available one time for your current permit to stay.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

As an alternative....

• You could go to Savannakhet, Laos and get a 1 year multi entry non 'O' visa based on marriage. No financial proof needed. You would need to exit every 90 days but you can extend each 90 day stay by 60 days if needed.
  • You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay towards the end of any 90 day stay at anytime during the year.
  • This visa plus a 60 day extension will give you nearly 17 months before needing a new visa/extension of stay.

p.s. You can be issued with a WP/work with a non 'O' (marriage) visa.

You really appear to know your stuff on Non O's so can I please add to the above and ask the following?

I am currently here on a Non B, this expires end of January 2016. Myself and my Thai partner wish to now get married and convert to Non O. I do not have sufficent proof of monthly Income so have instead transferred 400,000 baht to my Thai account today from savings back home. Next week I will go to my Embassy and get a letter showing I am free to marry then planned to go to the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok. I have tried to search and find out what then happens or requirements regarding bank funds when initially applying for this Non O but to no avail! Will they accept just seeing a bank letter and statement showing the funds are there or will they demand the funds be there for initial 2 months or does the 2 month rule get enforced when you extend the initial 90 days up to 1 year? Do I require any paperwork from my current Non B named employer if not using monthly income route becuase they are not communicating at present with me knowing I plan to leave and take up aleternative employment at the end of this contract. Is it better, seeing as I am leaving the current employer as soon as, to maybe exit Thailand via airport and cancel visa that way, come back in on tourist visa then apply for non O? My current passport is rather full also so was also considering leaving for a short break and replacing said passport with new and the returning here and if so how long is tourist visa when you come back in?

So sorry for extended version, many question, head is spinning and being a weekend cannot contact the MFA in Bangkok as now closed sad.png

Much appreciate any advice, support help on this matter after reading many of your replies to foreigners concerns on here, thank you in advance

Edited by Robstar

You really appear to know your stuff on Non O's so can I please add to the above and ask the following?

I am currently here on a Non B, this expires end of January 2016. Myself and my Thai partner wish to now get married and convert to Non O. I do not have sufficent proof of monthly Income so have instead transferred 400,000 baht to my Thai account today from savings back home. Next week I will go to my Embassy and get a letter showing I am free to marry then planned to go to the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok.

I have tried to search and find out what then happens or requirements regarding bank funds when initially applying for this Non O but to no avail! Will they accept just seeing a bank letter and statement showing the funds are there or will they demand the funds be there for initial 2 months or does the 2 month rule get enforced when you extend the initial 90 days up to 1 year?

Do I require any paperwork from my current Non B named employer if not using monthly income route becuase they are not communicating at present with me knowing I plan to leave and take up aleternative employment at the end of this contract.

Is it better, seeing as I am leaving the current employer as soon as, to maybe exit Thailand via airport and cancel visa that way, come back in on tourist visa then apply for non O?

My current passport is rather full also so was also considering leaving for a short break and replacing said passport with new and the returning here and if so how long is tourist visa when you come back in?

So sorry for extended version, many question, head is spinning and being a weekend cannot contact the MFA in Bangkok as now closed sad.png

Much appreciate any advice, support help on this matter after reading many of your replies to foreigners concerns on here, thank you in advance

• You don't need to provide any financial proof (at many embassies/consulates) when you apply for the single entry non 'O' visa outside of Thailand. Vientiane or Savannakhet or Penang are good choices.
  • You only need to have the 400k in your bank for two months prior to applying for the 1 year extension of stay.
  • The only documents required for the non 'O' (married) visa is your original marriage certificate plus copy, and copies of your wife's ID and house book (Tabien Baan).
  • No need for a tourist visa. Just go and get a non 'O'. You can legally work with a non 'O' (marriage) visa or extension of stay plus WP.
  • Getting a new passport doesn't really affect anything. Any permits to stay can be transferred to the new passport as necessary.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Have you been getting extensions of stay at immigration or getting multiple entry non-o visas at an embassy or consulate.

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration. No financial proof is needed.

Not sure why somebody would tell you to get a tourist visa when you can easily get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

I have been renewing my 1 year Non-O visa for the last 3 years at Samui Immigration. Not multiple entry visa's from any other method.

The person who gave advice about getting a tourist visa was trying to help, just that's all they were familiar with I guess.

You think I can just pop over to Nathon and apply for the 60 day extension, no income or money in the bank proof needed?

Thank you very much.

As an alternative....

• You could go to Savannakhet, Laos and get a 1 year multi entry non 'O' visa based on marriage. No financial proof needed. You would need to exit every 90 days but you can extend each 90 day stay by 60 days if needed.
  • You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay towards the end of any 90 day stay at anytime during the year.
  • This visa plus a 60 day extension will give you nearly 17 months before needing a new visa/extension of stay.

Agreed, I did that a few months ago. Its nice and easy and fairly low-key to get a 1 year Multi Non-O. You put in you application in the morning and get it the afternoon the next day.

I do have a WP issued on my Non-O visa, and I have been doing that since 2004.

• Like 1

Have you been getting extensions of stay at immigration or getting multiple entry non-o visas at an embassy or consulate.

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration. No financial proof is needed.

Not sure why somebody would tell you to get a tourist visa when you can easily get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

I have been renewing my 1 year Non-O visa for the last 3 years at Samui Immigration. Not multiple entry visa's from any other method.

The person who gave advice about getting a tourist visa was trying to help, just that's all they were familiar with I guess.

You think I can just pop over to Nathon and apply for the 60 day extension, no income or money in the bank proof needed?

Thank you very much.

Yes you can easily get the 60 day extension unless you have gotten one before for the entry you have been extending.

Your wife will need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. They may also want proof of residence.

I am currently here on a Non B, this expires end of January 2016. Myself and my Thai partner wish to now get married and convert to Non O. I do not have sufficent proof of monthly Income so have instead transferred 400,000 baht to my Thai account today from savings back home. Next week I will go to my Embassy and get a letter showing I am free to marry then planned to go to the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok.

I have tried to search and find out what then happens or requirements regarding bank funds when initially applying for this Non O but to no avail! Will they accept just seeing a bank letter and statement showing the funds are there or will they demand the funds be there for initial 2 months or does the 2 month rule get enforced when you extend the initial 90 days up to 1 year?

Do I require any paperwork from my current Non B named employer if not using monthly income route becuase they are not communicating at present with me knowing I plan to leave and take up aleternative employment at the end of this contract.

Is it better, seeing as I am leaving the current employer as soon as, to maybe exit Thailand via airport and cancel visa that way, come back in on tourist visa then apply for non O?

My current passport is rather full also so was also considering leaving for a short break and replacing said passport with new and the returning here and if so how long is tourist visa when you come back in?

• You don't need to provide any financial proof (at many embassies/consulates) when you apply for the single entry non 'O' visa outside of Thailand. Vientiane or Savannakhet or Penang are good choices.
  • You only need to have the 400k in your bank for two months prior to applying for the 1 year extension of stay.
  • The only documents required for the non 'O' (married) visa is your original marriage certificate plus copy, and copies of your wife's ID and house book (Tabien Baan).
  • No need for a tourist visa. Just go and get a non 'O'. You can legally work with a non 'O' (marriage) visa or extension of stay plus WP.
  • Getting a new passport doesn't really affect anything. Any permits to stay can be transferred to the new passport as necessary.

Thank you for the quick reply and detailed info :-) So...... appologies for my stupidity, after getting my freedom to marry letter from my Embassy in BKK, the Thai MFA will issue documents required for us to then go to any Amphur where the marriage can be registered and marriage certificate issued? After which I can then do as you suggest, off to Laos for example and do change from Non B to Non O? Last part, best advice on exiting via a land border crossing to Laos if still on current Non B and work permit? Should I first get a re-entry permit for this from local immigration to save any exit hassles at the border or will they just cancel if close to the end of my Non B without any school or WP documents? Sorry to ask so much again

Edited by Robstar

Thank you very much.
Yes you can easily get the 60 day extension unless you have gotten one before for the entry you have been extending.
Your wife will need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. They may also want proof of residence.

THank you, no I have not ever got extension, always just renew (truly, a re-do) the non-o yearly on Samui and address verification every 90 days.

I have the things I would need, that you've mentioned. Thank you very much @ubonjoe

Edited by fractrain

Thank you for the quick reply and detailed info :-) So...... appologies for my stupidity, after getting my freedom to marry letter from my Embassy in BKK, the Thai MFA will issue documents required for us to then go to any Amphur where the marriage can be registered and marriage certificate issued? After which I can then do as you suggest, off to Laos for example and do change from Non B to Non O? Last part, best advice on exiting via a land border crossing to Laos if still on current Non B and work permit? Should I first get a re-entry permit for this from local immigration to save any exit hassles at the border or will they just cancel if close to the end of my Non B without any school or WP documents? Sorry to ask so much again

• Yes, as soon as you have the marriage certificate you can go to Laos for the non 'O".
  • A re-entry permit is not necessary if you plan to re-enter with a non 'O' visa.

Do you currently have a single entry or multiple entry non 'B' visa or do you have a 1 year extension of stay for work?

Edited by elviajero

• Yes, as soon as you have the marriage certificate you can go to Laos for the non 'O".
  • A re-entry permit is not necessary if you plan to re-enter with a non 'O' visa.

Do you currently have a single entry or multiple entry non 'B' visa or do you have a 1 year extension of stay for work?

I'm on a single entry Non B, this initial Non B i got back in January and then extended it after 3mths to 1 year based on employment presently which is due to expire end of January coming but the school I have my work permit with are not speaking to me, feel like im in limbo and they wont give me any documents I might need upon exiting I fear, have read many stopped at border trying to exit and refused, I just want to go out and in a sense start afresh with a Non O' come back in and then attempt to get a new work permit when i start with new employer. I'm leaving for a short break overseas at Christmas and not sure whether best to cancel when leaving airport as usually less questions asked, return via airport on a tourist visa and then go to Laos and get Non O with appropriate marriage documents issued before i take trip back home?

Edited by Robstar

I'm on a single entry Non B extension based on employment presently which is due to expire end of January coming but the school I have my work permit with are not speaking to me, feel like im in limbo and they wont give me any documents I might need upon exiting I fear, have read many stopped at border trying to exit and refused, I just want to go out and in a sense start afresh with a Non O' come back in and then attempt to get a new work permit when i start with new employer. I'm leaving for a short break overseas at Christmas and not sure whether best to cancel when leaving airport as usually less questions asked, return via airport on a tourist visa and then go to Laos and get Non O with appropriate marriage documents issued before i take trip back home?

Have you resigned or had the employment terminated?

• If your job hasn't been terminated and the WP hasn't been canceled before you leave for Christmas then your extension of stay is still valid until the end of January so you could use a re-entry permit when you go on your trip.
  • You could leave the country for Laos in January just before the extension expires, let it expire and re-enter with the non 'O'.

If you had the WP you could cancel it and the extension of stay yourself. I would suggest that you try to settle the dispute with your employer and then you can get your WP and extension cancelled.

I'm on a single entry Non B extension based on employment presently which is due to expire end of January coming but the school I have my work permit with are not speaking to me, feel like im in limbo and they wont give me any documents I might need upon exiting I fear, have read many stopped at border trying to exit and refused, I just want to go out and in a sense start afresh with a Non O' come back in and then attempt to get a new work permit when i start with new employer. I'm leaving for a short break overseas at Christmas and not sure whether best to cancel when leaving airport as usually less questions asked, return via airport on a tourist visa and then go to Laos and get Non O with appropriate marriage documents issued before i take trip back home?

Have you resigned or had the employment terminated?

• If your job hasn't been terminated and the WP hasn't been canceled before you leave for Christmas then your extension of stay is still valid until the end of January so you could use a re-entry permit when you go on your trip.
  • You could leave the country for Laos in January just before the extension expires, let it expire and re-enter with the non 'O'.

If you had the WP you could cancel it and the extension of stay yourself. I would suggest that you try to settle the dispute with your employer and then you can get your WP and extension cancelled.

I did my last 90 day report online, if they have cancelled contract and informed labour office then am i right in assuming my 90 day would have been denied? I think best i go to labour office 7 days before flight just in case and ask my status, if not cancelled then i will plead with labour office to have WP cancelled and pay whatever due tax wise, go to immigration and pay for 7 day extension hopefully and leave via airport and return on tourist visa and then go Laos for Non O with paperwork and start again...... I hope and pray as would wish to gain employment on my return without outstanding problems preventing :-/

I did my last 90 day report online, if they have cancelled contract and informed labour office then am i right in assuming my 90 day would have been denied? I think best i go to labour office 7 days before flight just in case and ask my status, if not cancelled then i will plead with labour office to have WP cancelled and pay whatever due tax wise, go to immigration and pay for 7 day extension hopefully and leave via airport and return on tourist visa and then go Laos for Non O with paperwork and start again...... I hope and pray as would wish to gain employment on my return without outstanding problems preventing :-/

The labour office don't inform immigration of anything so your 90 day report would have been accepted regardless.

I think it would be a good idea for you to check with the labour office asap. Your employer has no right to withhold your WP. They should either cancel it with the labour office or give it back to you. In case you are unaware as soon as your WP is cancelled your extension of stay is invalid and you are on an overstay. Good luck. thumbsup.gif

As an alternative....

I saw that you in a later post said Vientiane and Penang are decent options … I would like to add that in addition to giving you a 1 year multiple non-o marriage visa without proof of income, the people working at the Savannakhet consulate are absolutely outstanding, probably the most pleasant immigration officers I've ever encountered! It's such a nice experience, especially compared to Vientiane that I personally find quite clinical at best.

Edited by Sirbergan

Based on this post, my prospective employer has agreed to 2 instead of 3 month trial before making my work permit, therefor going to Nathon with my wife and kids for a 60 day extension.

Thank you all very much. Besides my state of mind you've helped save me money and time away from my family. :)

• Like 1

Based on this post, my prospective employer has agreed to 2 instead of 3 month trial before making my work permit, therefor going to Nathon with my wife and kids for a 60 day extension. Thank you all very much. Besides my state of mind you've helped save me money and time away from my family. smile.png

So just working illegally for 2 months, not 3. What a considerate employer.

Based on this post, my prospective employer has agreed to 2 instead of 3 month trial before making my work permit, therefor going to Nathon with my wife and kids for a 60 day extension. Thank you all very much. Besides my state of mind you've helped save me money and time away from my family. smile.png

So just working illegally for 2 months, not 3. What a considerate employer.

What this employer is doing is reprehensible. Be aware, tinat, that they are asking you to break the law to work for them. This treatment, and disregard for their nation's laws, does not set a good precedent for the quality of this employer, vis-a-vis their care about their employees (and their employees' families) well-being.

As an alternative....

If you have a 1yr extension based on marriage you only need to do your 90 report, not leave every 90 days. Multiple Entry allows you to go and come back without the need for a re-entry permit.

As an alternative....

If you have a 1yr extension based on marriage you only need to do your 90 report, not leave every 90 days. Multiple Entry allows you to go and come back without the need for a re-entry permit.

You still have to leave every 90 days if you dont show 400k or proof of income when you have a 1 year multiple entry marriage O visa. No problem coming back with a new O when you previuosly had a B. Immigration will cancel the B when you come back. Dont worry about the two months trial. It sometimes takes an employer a couple of months to get the paperwork organised especially if they have not employed a farang before. Provided you pay your tax it it will be ok.

• Like 1

Thank you very much.

Update: Yes they want - in Samui - proof of residence *in the form of Landlady's ID copy & House Reg copy*. Mail with my name & address + rental contract was not enough because we rent, not own. They said my wife doesn't have to come back with me. One more trip to Samui then :)