Armed 'patriots' in US turn protests toward Muslim Americans

Jonathan Fairfield

Armed 'patriots' in US turn protests toward Muslim Americans

REESE DUNKLIN, Associated Press

EMILY SCHMALL, Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) — They are known as "Three Percenters," followers of a movement that has rallied against gun control efforts nationwide, patrolled the U.S. border with Mexico and recently begun confronting Muslim Americans.

Followers describe themselves as armed "patriots." But some of their leaders have been blamed for threats and vandalism against lawmakers, police and Muslims. One prominent member from Phoenix prompted an FBI alert in November after posting an expletive-filled Facebook video saying he was headed to New York state with guns to challenge a Muslim group.

In suburban Dallas, a protest at a mosque by armed, masked men, led by a Three Percent member, highlighted tension with the Muslim community. It plans a similar protest Saturday.

"We will interfere with every move they (Muslims) make towards taking over our country," Dallas protest organizer David Wright said in response to questions The Associated Press sent to his Facebook page. "We are ready to fight back if they come at us violently."

Wright hasn't advertised the "Three Percenters" name in his activities, but he claimed membership in comments on Facebook and told the AP he was a leader in a Texas chapter.

The Three Percenters movement began in 2008, galvanized by President Barack Obama's election, followers and researchers say. The name comes from the disputed percentage of colonials who armed themselves and fought the British during the American Revolution.

The number of Three Percenters is unclear partly because anyone can ascribe to the movement. The man credited as the founder has claimed 3 million on his blog. One national Three Percenters' Facebook group has about 12,000 members.

Followers appear to consist mainly of white, male, conservative gun owners who believe that some in the government aim to disarm them, strip their constitutional rights and take their property, according to groups that track anti-government movements.

The Three Percenters' founder, a former militia member named Michael B. "Mike" Vanderboegh, stresses what he calls "armed civil disobedience."

Vanderboegh, 63, a one-time nurse's aide who lives in Alabama, looks like an elderly professor. He blends references to God and fist-banging disdain for "predatory government."

A 2009 Anti-Defamation League report called Rage Grows in America featured Vanderboegh and the Three Percenters as a growing "anti-government" movement. The Southern Poverty Law Center has labeled him an extremist.

Wright borrowed from Vanderboegh's tactics last month, posting the names and home addresses of Muslim residents and other "Muslim sympathizers" who spoke against a city of Irving resolution they called discriminatory. Vanderboegh once shared similar information on Connecticut state senators who supported gun control measures after the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting that killed 26, mostly children.

Some Three Percenters, such as Kaleb Hill, say they don't share Vanderboegh's "extreme ideology."

"We are more concerned about exposing corruption and preserving the Constitution and our God-given freedoms," said Hill, who runs a Three Percenter group and Facebook pages from Mississippi.

In response to AP questions, Vanderboegh did not specifically address characterizations of him as an extremist. He said, generally speaking, that not "all folks claiming to be 'Three Percenters' are."

Little is known about Wright's past. He has posted pictures of himself armed and talks tough about jihadists on Facebook. In July, Wright wrote: "We should be setting traps for them and exterminating them."

Wright's group promises a "peaceful" event Saturday, Richardson police spokesman Sgt. Kevin Perlich said. The group staged a demonstration there in October with less than 10 people.

"We have never hurt anyone," Wright said. "We are careful to work within the law at all times as we prepare to defend our homes and communities from any offensive forces."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-12

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't understand the difference between an extremist who is a terrorist and a person with a religion apart from what they're commonly used to, there's no hope for the country, none at all.

Good point.

Only problem, few muslims are proactive in stopping their brethern...who are using this religion to perform evil. This makes it very hard to trust any. Even though I do know there are many peaceful ones. Problem is...they are cowering in fear over of retaliation...just as anyone else. Add to this, that they fear going against their religion, to save an infidel.

Sort of like...they are mostly stuck inbetween a rock and a hardplace. Cannot move either direction. That is what I call a "Stalemate". So we must deal with the entire idealogy..which permits terrorists to act in their name.

No Western Government has come out and said all muslims are bad...or all are terrorist. Where are you getting your info? Obama is pretty much in line with what you are saying. Just these few 3 percenter, are proactive. Fair enough. So no reason to say no hope for anyone else. However...my opinion is that this religion is self defeating, by nature. It allows things to happen.

In any case...Australia is also forming movements (perhaps not with guns...but confronting their government on many issues involving the protection/immigration/tolerance of muslims. Many Western Nations will soon tire of this threat..and join together. That is what ISIS is pushing for. A final standoff might weaken the West more than the Radical Muslims. Perhaps their goal is to divide and conquer....using weak liberal countries to counter the strong, fighting countries (few of us that there are).

Edited by slipperylobster

slipperylobster, on 12 Dec 2015 - 12:54, said:
chiang mai, on 12 Dec 2015 - 12:24, said:

If they don't understand the difference between an extremist who is a terrorist and a person with a religion apart from what they're commonly used to, there's no hope for the country, none at all.

Good point.

Only problem, few muslims are proactive in stopping their brethern...who are using this religion to perform evil. This makes it very hard to trust any. Even though I do know there are many peaceful ones. Problem is...they are cowering in fear over of retaliation...just as anyone else. Add to this, that they fear going against their religion, to save an infidel.

Sort of like...they are mostly stuck inbetween a rock and a hardplace. Cannot move either direction. That is what I call a "Stalemate". So we must deal with the entire idealogy..which permits terrorists to act in their name.

No Western Government has come out and said all muslims are bad...or all are terrorist. Where are you getting your info? Obama is pretty much in line with what you are saying. Just these few 3 percenter, are proactive. Fair enough. So no reason to say no hope for anyone else. However...my opinion is that this religion is self defeating, by nature. It allows things to happen.

In any case...Australia is also forming movements (perhaps not with guns...but confronting their government on many issues involving the protection/immigration/tolerance of muslims. Many Western Nations will soon tire of this threat..and join together. That is what ISIS is pushing for. A final standoff might weaken the West more than the Radical Muslims. Perhaps their goal is to divide and conquer....using weak liberal countries to counter the strong, fighting countries (few of us that there are).

Dig in, dig in.

The barrage is on route wink.pngwink.png

slipperylobster, on 12 Dec 2015 - 12:54, said:
chiang mai, on 12 Dec 2015 - 12:24, said:

Good point.

Dig in, dig in.

The barrage is on route wink.pngwink.png

Bring it on...

3 percent against 97 do nothings is even odds

2073a9be948ed9bf14423bd912521685.jpg

Edited by slipperylobster

The legacy of Obama's failure to tackle Islamic terrorism and those preaching extremism. There may at present be only a small minority who explicitly threaten to use force, but the direction the wind is blowing is plain to see.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/12/09/most-americans-dislike-islam/

Yeah, blame Obama for right wing gun-totin' freaks.

Nice try.

clap2.gif

Added:Almost 60% disagree with Trump's ban.

Of course that figure drops drastically when you get to the white supremacist party.

Edited by Chicog

They aren't used to people of other religions because they are indoctrinated bigots.

Before it was Muslims, it was Latinos and Blacks.

Check out the guy at the very back he is 70 plus , and they wonder why there are so many shootings..

what does that comment mean? he might be the best in the group......and might of actually done some good...already..(and on his own). How would you know? Perhaps you think older guys can't hit a target?

Hate will be met with hate. This ain't no solution and will only exacerbate the problem.

I guess ISIS and Muslim Americans met their Match crazy Americans What can the Muslim Americans it is about only one percent crazy Americans

Let us hope no American or Russian Generals are crazy

Check out the guy at the very back he is 70 plus , and they wonder why there are so many shootings..

what does that comment mean? he might be the best in the group......and might of actually done some good...already..(and on his own). How would you know? Perhaps you think older guys can't hit a target?

You're being serious aren't you?

Video has been released of the moment a reserve police officer in Tulsa, Oklahoma, shot and killed a man by mistake.

The reserve officer, Bob Bates, a 73-year-old insurance executive, told police he had thought he was firing his Taser stun gun at Eric Courtney Harris, 44, a convicted felon who a police report on the incident said was being arrested after having sold a gun to an undercover officer.

The video, which came from a police officer’s body camera, was released by police on Friday. It shows Harris running down a suburban street, away from his pursuers. The officer catches up with him and Harris is brought to the ground. A shot is heard and Harris gasps in pain.

A voice, presumably that of Bates, says: “I shot him. I’m sorry.”

Yes and he as well might have benefited from good feelings, actions, skills, thoughts, helping hands , of fellow american citizens who might also be of muslim culture / belief - would he ignore it or not.

Edited by Opl

Hate will be met with hate. This ain't no solution and will only exacerbate the problem.

I guess ISIS and Muslim Americans met their Match crazy Americans What can the Muslim Americans it is about only one percent crazy Americans

Let me tell you about crazy...

Hitler was crazy......crazy enough to have enough people believe he could actually make another German Empire. lol

Whatever crazy is....it does not mean stupid.

Stupid is like...lets get rid of all our weapons...talk happy talk....kiss everyone on the cheek.

Stupid is like...lets let them win....lets not support the Western Capitalism that we hate. (You folks don't remember your grandmas and grandpas were plucking potatoes....and barely scraping a living. Now...we eat good and play good. So stupid is...let's throw that system out.

Stupid is saying Putin, Bush, Obama...Clinton, Reagon.....are devil bandits and terrorists are saints.

Watch all the stupid replies. You guys aren't crazy....you're stooooooopid.

The legacy of Obama's failure to tackle Islamic terrorism and those preaching extremism. There may at present be only a small minority who explicitly threaten to use force, but the direction the wind is blowing is plain to see.

Yes, thank baby Jesus for these brave white guys tackling this imminent danger. facepalm.gif

I probably should note here that since 9/11, 16 people have been killed by "Islamic Terrorism" making your chances of being killed twenty million to one. See, Islamic terrorism isn't a thing except in the minds of wingnuts.

Idiots. The TV teabaggers are going to love this.

Yes, thank baby Jesus for these brave white guys tackling this imminent danger. facepalm.gif

I probably should note here that since 9/11, 16 people have been killed by "Islamic Terrorism" making your chances of being killed twenty million to one. See, Islamic terrorism isn't a thing except in the minds of wingnuts.

Idiots. The TV teabaggers are going to love this.

Beside it is nonsense, it goes into the millions if you look outside your home town.

But if it would be true I am allowed to shoot you in the leg?.....should be OK with you, because the chance of being shot in the leg by me is just 1:8.000.000.000.

Let me tell you about crazy...

Hitler was crazy......crazy enough to have enough people believe he could actually make another German Empire. lol

Whatever crazy is....it does not mean stupid.

Stupid is like...lets get rid of all our weapons...talk happy talk....kiss everyone on the cheek.

Stupid is like...lets let them win....lets not support the Western Capitalism that we hate. (You folks don't remember your grandmas and grandpas were plucking potatoes....and barely scraping a living. Now...we eat good and play good. So stupid is...let's throw that system out.

Stupid is saying Putin, Bush, Obama...Clinton, Reagon.....are devil bandits and terrorists are saints.

Watch all the stupid replies. You guys aren't crazy....you're stooooooopid.

blink.png

I thought those Americans who fought us Brits in the war of independence were called 'minutemen" on the basis they could be out of the house and ready to fight in a minute.

I have no idea how many of these armed groups there might be. However,watching TV over the years it seems the US has certainly a lot of 'preppers' taking steps to safeguard themselves from whatever.............

I am eminently non racist and consider myself a liberal. However, until I see the "million Muslim march against Islamist extremism" I can also not really trust any Muslim person hiding in fear of speaking out against Islamic terror.

All Muslims are guilty until they rise up against their terrorist brothers, as all Germans were guilty because they quietly accepted nazism.