Watch out for meteor shower on the night of December 14

webfact

Watch out for meteor shower on the night of December 14

IMG_20151213_141039-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The biggest meteor shower of the year will grace the sky and can be seen with naked eyes in every part of the country from the night of December 14 until the next day, said the National Astronomical Research Institute.

The highly anticipated Geminid Shower is expected to send up to 100 meteors per hour crisscrossing the sky, according to NASA.
The National Astronomical Research Institute has arranged for three venues in Chiang Mai, Chachoengsao and Nakhon Ratchasima where members of the public can observe the celestial spectacle free of charge.

In Chiang Mai, the observation venue is located at Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai’s Chom Thong district whereas in Nakhon Ratchasima, the venue is at the observatory on the campus of Suranaree Technology University. In Chachoengsao, the observatory in Plaeng Yao district is chosen as the site of the star gazing event.

Starting from 8.30 pm until dawn of the next morning, the shooting stars can be seen in the night sky throughout the country provided that the sky is clear and cloudless, said the institute.

For more information about the three observation venues, interested enthusiasts can call the following numbers: 081-8854353 for the venue in Chiang Mai, 086-4291489 and 084-0882264 for the ones in Nakhon Ratchasima and Chachoengsao respectively.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/watch-out-for-meteor-shower-on-the-night-of-december-14

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-14

will be watching from bkk ......

You might miss a lot. City lights will overpower the light from most of the meteors perhaps. Best is to get far out of the city to a very dark sky area .

Professional and amateur astronomers are very conscious of city light "pollution" at night and how it really cuts down visibility of the stars and meteors.

I find that when I am far from city lights... I can see thousands more stars at night and have fantastic views of the "Milky Way". .. .and count meteors and even low orbit satellites, as they pass over..

A large city like Bangkok is going to have a lot of light entering the sky at night... very, very poor conditions for viewing the night sky.

Edited by Catoni

This doesn't match the general forecasts that the peak would be overnight 13th-14th. However from Sampran last night we only saw 4 meteors in an hour (11PM - midnight). Debating whether to drive back to Sampran tonight from BKK to try again, even though the date doesn't match.

Lights in the night sky, too early for Christmas, could be an omen for something else, need to go and ask the monk at the local temple what it all means.

Christmas?

There is no stinking Christmas in Thailand.

Thailand is a Buddhist country.

Haven't you heard?

Lights in the night sky, too early for Christmas, could be an omen for something else, need to go and ask the monk at the local temple what it all means.

Christmas?

Haven't you heard?

Tell Tesco to turn that stinking music off will yer.......everytime I go in, it started weeks ago

Christmas?

Haven't you heard?

Guess you don't live in Thailand as even the shops in remote Isaan have all the Xmas goodies for sale. So bah humbug to you sir where ever you are.

I wish that I could get out of BKK city to a nice dark country

setting and with the temps in the high 20s to early 30s this

evening, it would be very nice to see the Meteor Showers.

Even at a nice beach with a lounge chair and a Chang or Singha

in hand, it would be very enjoyable.

Guess I will just have to go to the top of our four plex and see

what I can see.

Stargeezer

post-247031-0-58204700-1450084949_thumb.Don't worry about the Christmas lights in the sky coming early we already had the 'morning star' there for a while (5-6a.m.) daaw phra suk, Venus, daaw phra phareuhat (sa baw dee) [colloquial], Jupiter and daaw phra angkhaan is there too, although light pollution has prevented me from seeing Mars. So cheer up and get up early Christmas morning and you can pretend to be one of the kings from the east, ha!

Seriously, I am not religious but I find this an ideal time to wish everyone well when I look at my Christmas tree (just symbolic);so to all posters, hope you have fun thinking about some childhood Christmas that was good.