UK Tesco Hudl 2 not working

malct

going up to Chiang rai tomorrow, for what ever reason my Tesco Hudl 2 won't start or charge, I have tried to reset it, but nothing, disconnected the battery from the motherboard and nothing, bought a new 2A charger and still nothing, it could be the mini USB port for connecting the charger cable but where do I get one of those from in Thailand? I was thinking about taking it into a computer repair shop, but since these hudls are only for sale in the UK, I won't be able to get proper parts and I guess a computer repair shop could charge what they like because I don't know what's wrong. I still have a month touring Thailand, so any tips on a good repair place in Chiang rai or Chiang mai or better still how to get the tablet working again. Thank you Malc

If it's the mini USB port then don't be surprised if you get told to replace the whole motherboard, which on a Hudl means it won't happen in Thailand. Sometimes the solution is simply to keep wiggling the connector at different angles until you hit the sweet spot.

Yesterday it did start to charge minus the charge light, found that the charger was getting warm, put you need to be connected to the power in order to do a reset. If only I could find that sweet spot again. Yes tescos have stopped selling the hudl, so might be better looking for a tablet that's avalible worldwide, least if I get a problem, I can get it fixed.

Ive had the charge USB repaired on my phone befor at Tuk com in Pattaya but only lasted 4 weeks...not original part, paid 400 Baht....as it was a removable battery I bought a charger that could charge it that way until I could transfer all info. Try the Chiang Mai/Rai forum for repair shops...Ive just bought a new tablet and whist researching the Tesco came up with fantastic reviews for the price range.

I've changed one of these.

You can buy the mini socket in the tablet, very cheap, (10 Baht??) but a pig and half to fit. Mine worked for a bit then the connection failed again.

You can get on ebay the board with the socket already attached. Not so cheap but under £10 plus a bit for postage. It is small and light.

It is not part of the motherboard so not a problem there.

Recomendation -

Look at the videos on uTube and find out how to open the Hudl. Not easy but not impossible.

Get a meter and check the battery voltage. If discharged you can use any suitable charger to charge it up (and a few bits of wire) and check that your hudl is working.

If battery OK and Hudl works then get a new board with the mini USB or take just the little board to a local shop to fit a new socket.

By the way the battery is just glued in, carefully pull it up to get it out and don't bend the battery.

Thank you for the feedback, I have had the case open a number of times now disconnecting the battery from the motherboard but made no difference, I have seen the videos on YouTube and looks easy to change with buying the part from eBay, that's plus the board. I might check out a computer place while up in Chiang rai/mai over the next week, but I have been caught out once before in bangkok with fake parts when I took my mobile in to have a new case fitted due to a scratch on the glass, the following day the new glass had more scratches on it that the old one, it would be interesting to know if there is life in the battery since it was half full the last time it worked.