Father Leaving with Kids

Sawan Chan 7

Not really direct related but still.......

When i take my children out of Thailand to Laos,to visit mother and family, i don't have to show anything on the Thai side, but get a surprise at the Lao side.

Father AND children entry fee 35 dollars....(non Lao passport holders!) only when the Lao mother is present they can get a gratis (free) entry.

Now my wife will takke the kids to Laos this monday..........free of questions and fees.

Parenthood Lao style.

So you've never been asked for any official papers?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roles reversed.

I was a single parent in the UK, 4 kids aged 3 -11.

We went abroad every year and never once was I stopped and asked if I had permission.

I had full custody as it happened, but never asked for any proof.

Same surnames on Passports.

I suppose it helps if they call you 'Dad' at the appropriate moment.

Edited by Faz

Interesting. Lots of different suggestions. What happened to me was different again. facepalm.gif

One thing everyone should be aware of is that child kidnapping has become a very hot topic in Thailand during the last 12 months driving the Thai Authorities to tighten up their immigration inspections to prevent this heinous crime.

The above being said, this is what I was instructed to prepares by government officials so as to ensure a smooth pass through immigration at SVM. Airport

Plan: For the Father (me) to take a dual citizen (UK/Thai) 10 year old child to the UK for a 1 month holiday, and for my mother(UK citizen) to bring her back to Thailand.

Reguirement(Thailand end)

1. The Whole family goes to the ampheur office for the wife to dictate a letter to the 'Nai Ampheur' on official 'Garuda' government paper in Thai language giving permission for the trip.

2. Wife and daughter have to go to the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok (FMB) with the Thai permission letter.

3. The Thai letter has to be officially translated at the FMB into English

4. Both the Thai and English versions of the permission letter have to 'officiated by the FMB.

5. During the registration of the permission to travel letter, The FMB enter the childs name, together with starting permission to leave date and ending permission date onto the immigration computer for checking at the airport when you pass through.

At SVM - all went smoothly - we were taken to one side to check the FMB letter and the kiddies name on the computer - all was in order. through in a couple of minutes.

At London Heathrow LHR .... err whistling.gif I assumed that with us both being UK citizens and passport holders that entry would be easy. NOT SO.

Immigration wanted to know where the mother was and why she wasn't travelling with us together. We were both taken out the Que and interrogated. Shit got very real very quickly.

It was looking very much like we were not going to be let us into the UK and would have to return to Thailand.facepalm.gif

Then, I showed them the FMB letter and its official English translation - then suddenly all the peaked hats smiled and wished us good luck and we were on our way.

The only conclusion I can come to is this :-

• There is a proper procedure to go through together with official forms to obtain that need to be officiated at the highest level if you do not want to risk falling into a sticky situation explaining yourself to suspicious customs officers trying to establish if you really have permission to take the child overseas.

Background info on how serious child parental kidnapping is considered to be as a world wide crime... there are plenty of John and Jane Doe's convicted of parental kidnapping (Their only crime) on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

Sorry one more question - does the daughter have your surname on her passport and does she look Thai or farang?

Something doesn't seem clear here - you are the only person saying that these documents are required.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

And I someone would like to find out if piut on on a blacklist with immigration by their other half.

Where would you go ?

Airport, chaeng wattanna?

Also wouldn't this be better to check before buying tickets ?

Good idea,except if you were to approach Chaeng Wattanna and ask if your children are on a black list, and the answer came back NO. What do you think might happen then, perhaps they would then contact the Thai mother and ask if she was in agreement or not.

As I have asked previously, what would happen to a Thai mother if she were to leave the country with Faranged named children,without the father. Is there a different set of rules?

And I someone would like to find out if piut on on a blacklist with immigration by their other half.

Where would you go ?

Airport, chaeng wattanna?

Also wouldn't this be better to check before buying tickets ?

Good idea,except if you were to approach Chaeng Wattanna and ask if your children are on a black list, and the answer came back NO. What do you think might happen then, perhaps they would then contact the Thai mother and ask if she was in agreement or not.

As I have asked previously, what would happen to a Thai mother if she were to leave the country with Faranged named children,without the father. Is there a different set of rules?

Myself I believe I have all the nessecary documents as I have sole custody of children.

Just wouldn't like to be surprised at the airport.

What about the guys whose ex wives have disappeared ? What can they do ?.

My ex wife took the kid to Laos she wasn't asked for anything .

But the family name was the same.

Also does it make a difference if you have one way or return tickets ?

These are all questions that we should get answered.

I'd like to know where SteveB2 got his information and if he thinks that Immigration in London could have refused him entry if he didn't have the letter, translated etc. it is a big inconvenience for my family to go to Bangkok to prepare such a letter if it is not required.

If my daughter(13) and I were taken aside at Heathrow, couldn't we refuse to leave, both being UK citizens. Claim asylum due to their being a military dictatorship?

Do Thai fathers need this letter when leaving the country?

Do expat fathers in other countries need letters when travelling alone with kids?

I'm going to call British Airways and see if they can offer any help on this matter.

Interesting. Lots of different suggestions. What happened to me was different again. facepalm.gif

One thing everyone should be aware of is that child kidnapping has become a very hot topic in Thailand during the last 12 months driving the Thai Authorities to tighten up their immigration inspections to prevent this heinous crime.

The above being said, this is what I was instructed to prepares by government officials so as to ensure a smooth pass through immigration at SVM. Airport

Plan: For the Father (me) to take a dual citizen (UK/Thai) 10 year old child to the UK for a 1 month holiday, and for my mother(UK citizen) to bring her back to Thailand.

Reguirement(Thailand end)

1. The Whole family goes to the ampheur office for the wife to dictate a letter to the 'Nai Ampheur' on official 'Garuda' government paper in Thai language giving permission for the trip.

2. Wife and daughter have to go to the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok (FMB) with the Thai permission letter.

3. The Thai letter has to be officially translated at the FMB into English

4. Both the Thai and English versions of the permission letter have to 'officiated by the FMB.

5. During the registration of the permission to travel letter, The FMB enter the childs name, together with starting permission to leave date and ending permission date onto the immigration computer for checking at the airport when you pass through.

At SVM - all went smoothly - we were taken to one side to check the FMB letter and the kiddies name on the computer - all was in order. through in a couple of minutes.

At London Heathrow LHR .... err whistling.gif I assumed that with us both being UK citizens and passport holders that entry would be easy. NOT SO.

Immigration wanted to know where the mother was and why she wasn't travelling with us together. We were both taken out the Que and interrogated. Shit got very real very quickly.

It was looking very much like we were not going to be let us into the UK and would have to return to Thailand.facepalm.gif

Then, I showed them the FMB letter and its official English translation - then suddenly all the peaked hats smiled and wished us good luck and we were on our way.

The only conclusion I can come to is this :-

• There is a proper procedure to go through together with official forms to obtain that need to be officiated at the highest level if you do not want to risk falling into a sticky situation explaining yourself to suspicious customs officers trying to establish if you really have permission to take the child overseas.
Background info on how serious child parental kidnapping is considered to be as a world wide crime... there are plenty of John and Jane Doe's convicted of parental kidnapping (Their only crime) on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

Like I said everyone's situation is different.

If you don't have sole custody of the said child .then you do need a letter from the mother I believe.

However I don't think you really need to do all that stuff.

As for LHR , surely if you're only staying a month shouldn't be a problem.

If moving for good .then maybe a different story, like immigration passing your details onto social services.

I'm interested to know

why on earth would any retired man want to start a family at retirement age only to find himself abandoned by the Thai wife to return to his home land to raise the kids alone.

Off topic but .........

In the UK, single parent family gets income topped up to 15kgbp/year (tax free).

And jumps to 1st place in the free housing queue.

Not to mention assorted little bonus like,

Free NHS, free dental, free glasses, free council tax, free NI contributions.

It's a great little earner.

all courtesy of the tax payer for someone's foolish mistakes ???????????

Having children is never a mistake.

I'd like to know where SteveB2 got his information and if he thinks that Immigration in London could have refused him entry if he didn't have the letter, translated etc. it is a big inconvenience for my family to go to Bangkok to prepare such a letter if it is not required.

If my daughter(13) and I were taken aside at Heathrow, couldn't we refuse to leave, both being UK citizens. Claim asylum due to their being a military dictatorship?

Do expat fathers in other countries need letters when travelling alone with kids?

I'm going to call British Airways and see if they can offer any help on this matter.

My pal abducted his Thai daughter, and flew with her back to the UK.

No questions, no problems.

He had her UK passport, Thai passport and Thai birth certificate with him.

Most of the worry warts on here have no real experience and just spout PC nonsense.

Forget them, just go.

As for Heathrow, they can't refuse a British citizen entry.

Don't forget to mention your wife isn't with you because British Immigration wouldn't give her a VISA.

'British Immigration breaks up family', is a great news story, and Social Services are VERY sympathetic.

It's a fast track to every possible entitlement you could think of (true or not).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

My pal abducted his Thai daughter, and flew with her back to the UK.

No questions, no problems.

He had her UK passport, Thai passport and Thai birth certificate with him.

Most of the worry warts on here have no real experience and just spout PC nonsense.

Forget them, just go.

As for Heathrow, they can't refuse a British citizen entry.

Don't forget to mention your wife isn't with you because British Immigration wouldn't give her a VISA.

'British Immigration breaks up family', is a great news story, and Social Services are VERY sympathetic.

It's a fast track to every possible entitlement you could think of (true or not).

Correct, when I entered the UK earlier this year with my two children, no questions asked, simple showed our UK passports. Thai wife obviously had to go through a different channel,they had no idea she was with us.

Off topic but .........

In the UK, single parent family gets income topped up to 15kgbp/year (tax free).

Don't get me going on that one!

15K a year is being conservative.

My middle daughter has 4 kids, 3 different fathers, never worked a day in her life and gets over £800 a week in benefits and allowances (£41,600 + pa) and she gets cash in hand from the Fathers. Just told me she's trading her 2 year old car in in April for a new one.

Off topic but .........

Don't get me going on that one!

15K a year is being conservative.

My middle daughter has 4 kids, 3 different fathers, never worked a day in her life and gets over £800 a week in benefits and allowances (£41,600 + pa) and she gets cash in hand from the Fathers. Just told me she's trading her 2 year old car in in April for a new one.

Complete nonsense. 41 K PA.

Only way to get this amount is if there is a disability in the family.

There is a cap now about 20K outside London and 25K inside or there abouts.

Not everyone on benefits is like the sad cases we see on benefit st ( CHANNEL 4 )

And if I'm wrong . I will be straight back to the UK for £800 a week.

why on earth would any retired man want to start a family at retirement age only to find himself abandoned by the Thai wife to return to his home land to raise the kids alone.

Off topic but .........

At least he is a British citizen, not some bugger turning up from Europe with his tribe!

I have written several posts on this topic in the past. Historically, leaving Thailand with small children always resulted in scrutiny of birth certificates and otherwise related documentation. When Thai passports were used, an affidavit from the missus was always required. And until yesterday I have NEVER been able to enter UK immigration without proving the required relationship in a similar fashion.

But yesterday, for the first time, we left Thailand and made it through immigration at Suvarnabhumi without any hassle, despite using their Thai passports. In addition, we entered Blighty without as much as a question. Perhaps the children have now reached an age were they are expected to formulate some sort of protest if they are subject to something dodgy.

Personally, I have never been bothered by having to prove my relationship to my children, especially since this is regulated by The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. And to be perfectly honest, Thailand shines like a beacon of light when it comes to enforcing the rule. Hat's off!

I guess the only thing I dont like by travelling out of Thailand is not being able to spend evenings with an ice cold Singha overlooking the Andaman Sea.

Safe travels.

I have written several posts on this topic in the past. Historically, leaving Thailand with small children always resulted in scrutiny of birth certificates and otherwise related documentation. When Thai passports were used, an affidavit from the missus was always required. And until yesterday I have NEVER been able to enter UK immigration without proving the required relationship in a similar fashion.

But yesterday, for the first time, we left Thailand and made it through immigration at Suvarnabhumi without any hassle, despite using their Thai passports. In addition, we entered Blighty without as much as a question. Perhaps the children have now reached an age were they are expected to formulate some sort of protest if they are subject to something dodgy.

Personally, I have never been bothered by having to prove my relationship to my children, especially since this is regulated by The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. And to be perfectly honest, Thailand shines like a beacon of light when it comes to enforcing the rule. Hat's off!

I guess the only thing I dont like by travelling out of Thailand is not being able to spend evenings with an ice cold Singha overlooking the Andaman Sea.

Safe travels.

My kids are adults now but are you saying the OP needs the birth certificate of the kids and an affidavit? How old are your kids now?

I never needed anything when I took my kids alone when they were about 10-16.

Safe travels.

A few years ago a friend of mine asked the appropriate government department in BKK, if Thailand was a signature to The Hague Convention.

Seems the answer was NO.

Safe travels.

A few years ago a friend of mine asked the appropriate government department in BKK, if Thailand was a signature to The Hague Convention.

Seems the answer was NO.

Thailand never signed but is till bound by - and indeed enforce - the Hague Convention.

https://www.hcch.net/en/states/other-connected-states/details2/?sid=130

Safe travels.

My kids are adults now but are you saying the OP needs the birth certificate of the kids and an affidavit? How old are your kids now?

There are no rules, but chances are that you will be asked to prove your relationship as well as the mothers approval to take a child out of Thailand. In my case it's worse because the children dont have my surname.

I have made in the region of 20 trips in an out of Thailand the past 4 years (when the youngest was 2) and have NEVER been able to leave with the children without going through this process. Not until yesterday, that is.

Safe travels.

There are no rules, but chances are that you will be asked to prove your relationship as well as the mothers approval to take a child out of Thailand. In my case it's worse because the children dont have my surname.

I have made in the region of 20 trips in an out of Thailand the past 4 years (when the youngest was 2) and have NEVER been able to leave with the children without going through this process. Not until yesterday, that is.

You must be very unlucky or suspicious looking, as I have also made numerous trips out of Thailand, with the youngest one being 3. Never asked until my most recent departure, when my wife was in the other queue.

Safe travels.

You must be very unlucky or suspicious looking, as I have also made numerous trips out of Thailand, with the youngest one being 3. Never asked until my most recent departure, when my wife was in the other queue.

Haha, no I dont think I'm more suspicious looking than anyone else, but if a man travels with a small child that doesn't have his family name, it'd be strange if questions were not asked.

you need a letter from the wife that she is ok with them leaving the country, birth papers.

are you the legal father?

I was in October with 3 of my sons from two different Thai mothers with 8,10 and 13 years young at Suvarnabhumi Airport to spend time at the MotoGp Race in Malaysia.

As I went with all my children, one by one or two together on different occasions to Lao (border runs) or also to Malaysia some years ago with the oldest, I was not well prepared, as until now, never had been questions asked.

Bur I was short stopped and questioned

the brought Supervisor would have liked to see Birth certificates from all three.

I presented, my so I thought "Legal father paper" from the Amphoe for the two younger boys,

but as it turned out,

was useless, maybe was no "Legal" father paper from Amphoe.

Until now nobody on Thaivisa.com could or would tell me what the wording in such Amphoe paper has to be.

A similar question asked in the Udon Thani Immigration office showed Thai smiles and no answer.blink.png

Would be helpful, when I would get some information about that =Legal father paper= from Amphoe wording. whistling.gif

At the Suvarnabhumi Immigration Passport control I went fast into my grumpy mood mode

and as all my boys have my family name in their Thai Passports,

2 have even the same given name,

I could produce 2 birth certificates had my special -Legal father paper-

and offered to call the mothers of the boys, what was declined, the officer lady let us move on.

Not before to ask my youngest son, if his father is always so easy agitated and loud,

my son said, yes that is his style, always.

And that she can see that I am the father of six boys from three mothers, as I am so -handsome- what I am sure not anymore, if ever.wink.png

I lectured her, that children do not come from to be "handsome" and I would tell her what is necessary to have children if she needed to know. rolleyes.gif

Off topic but .........

Please stick to the topic and show respect to other members.

I've started a new topic about UK Benefits http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/882388-uk-benefits-farce/?p=10247145 if anyones interested.

Thailand never signed up.

They had talks but never got round to joining.

The UK has no agreement with Thailand, some Counties may have.

Child abduction in Thailand is not a Criminal offence, but a Civil case between the parents.

Child_Abduction_-_thailand.pdf

I'm still none the wiser. One says I need translated official letters and won't even get into the UK without it even though we are both citizens. He has yet to confirm if the child has his name and how old the child was. Hasn't replied to a PM which makes me think there were some unusual irregularities but who knows.

Where can I find out for sure? Immigration or amphur? Does anyone know the actual law? British airways say the child(13) could travel by herself. I am confused. I think I'll write a letter in Thai and English and get my wife to sign both and hope that will be more than enough. I'll also ask Immigration when I go to do my 90 day reporting. Maybe there is an national immigration number I can phone who could answer my questions?

The UK has no agreement with Thailand, some Counties may have.

Child abduction in Thailand is not a Criminal offence, but a Civil case between the parents.

Thank you, some interesting info on there especially - I do not need my wife's consent when I take my daughter out the country unless there is a court order.