the most idyllic places to live

johnsmith1

As for Hua Hin, great if you like being surrounded by aged Skandies. Its lost all its charm, was a great place, that was 15yrs ago. Half built housing developments, dodgy developers and "real estate" agents.

Traffic is a nightmare, especially at w ends.

Edited by roo860

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, the really wealthy Thais don't live in one place, but are almost always somehow based in Bangkok.

Close friends of mine have three houses in bkk alone, and a couple more at outside for vacation purposes. They don't really need to stay in bkk, but prefer it for it's variety, it's position as the only real business hub that matters in Thailand and to keep an occasional eye on the companies they own. And yes, they are Chinese-Thai.

Edited by ThailandLOS

With that amount of cash and income ( assuming it's not a troll posting ) I would be renting in Thailand, Mexico, Spain, France, Italy - wherever the fancy took me. I certainly would not be buying property here. A number of falangs have found to their cost it's very easy to buy, and very difficult to sell. Some of the houses here stay on the market for years, particularly those in the 10-15 million baht area.

Up around Chiang Rai, Loei and Petchabun there is some idyllic scenery; however, the exclusively Thai cuisine can get boring after a while. I eat mainly Thai food, but do like the occasional excursion into other cuisines.

I had the same concerns. Where to settle down in Thailand. I was born and raised in New York, lived in Tokyo for 6 years and have a home in San Francisco since 1985. Money is not an issue. I enjoy a big city but have lived in some of the biggest. But I don't want that at this stage in life, yet I want access to it for entertainment, shopping, etc. I enjoy living near the ocean, but would get Island Fever in Phuket. Hua Hin is far too dull for my tastes.

I found that Na Jomtien was perfect for me. You can purchase million dollar homes or condos, have the ocean at your doorstep, be only 2 hours from Bangkok and all the entertainment and shopping you need, be a few minutes away from the insanity of Pattaya should you desire that. There are wonderful restaurants, theaters, different venues to choose from and a nice life for me and my girlfriend. I am only a short drive to U-Tapau Airport and 1.5 hours from Suvanabumi. That's OK for me. I spend about 1 week every three months in my girlfriend's village. That is more than enough for me. I built a very comfortable home there and have internet and satellite TV. Without those I couldn't make it past the third day. BORING!

Na Jomtien works for me. I have friends that would not want to be any place other than Bangkok. One good friend has a beautiful condo at the Watermark right on the river and wouldn't want anything else. Another friend living in Hua Hin and thinks it is perfect for his needs and wants. To each his own.

Think of what you enjoy.

I'm Always Confused.

Why feel so compelled to BUY?

Just rent a nice place, travel (like others have said here), get a "feel"

for an area, visit other areas and rent.

The World Is Your Oyster!

You don't have to BUY to feel complete.

It truly is not a sin to rent.

PS - sounds like you are not only new to Thailand but new to all the choices that open up with having money. Proceed slowly. Spending big on a house will only tie up a bunch of money and you may never be able to find a customer to buy that house. Resale can be extremely difficult here.

There are many hi-so expensive moobaans in BKK but you won't see them from the main roads.

You can just go there uninvited and see the baan-office. The salesgirls will drive you around in the golfcarts and show you the houses.

If you have never been into a moobaan then do it, it's not comparable with the rest of BKK.

Also don't get fooled by the pictures they put on their websites, they are all photoshopped.

With that amount of cash and income ( assuming it's not a troll posting ) I would be renting in Thailand, Mexico, Spain, France, Italy - wherever the fancy took me. I certainly would not be buying property here. A number of falangs have found to their cost it's very easy to buy, and very difficult to sell. Some of the houses here stay on the market for years, particularly those in the 10-15 million baht area.

Up around Chiang Rai, Loei and Petchabun there is some idyllic scenery; however, the exclusively Thai cuisine can get boring after a while. I eat mainly Thai food, but do like the occasional excursion into other cuisines.

The REALLY wealthy Thais have property in what is called 'Little Switzerland' - the hilly area just off route 12, between Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

A delightful area surrounded by mountains, large open spaces and close to the main arteries to BKK and the beaches south of there.

hello my idea would be somewhere outside bkk nice house we don't really do bars and clubs but enjoy live music English and thai

one poster suggested west of the River ?? could you give me a district please many thanks

Look at Nonthaburi. We hava a comfortable pool villa here at Prikpirom Regent (5 bed including office). Obviously the price reflects the quality of the property. The surrounding area is pleasant and close to the river with plenty of good restaurants and places to shop including Central westgate.

I would Suggest looking at Q House and Land and House website for Prukpirom and Ladawan respectively.

Best of luck to you.

Hawaii. What you're looking for doesn't exist in Thailand.

Re:expensive..

I live on, try to live on $9000 a year,surrounded with million dollar estates, over 20 acres.

4 Seasons Homes are 6 miles past Kona International Airport.. just over the Ridge.. just out of Your price range.

You can eat fresh from orchard and garden

and share Vanilla and other herbs, etc.

with upscale restaurants.

Ride horses and shoot guns..

On Hawaii Island.

Kidding about the Guns..I love Animals..

Find a Secluded Island..semi.. in Thailand. Or come on over.

Aloha. The Water is Blue

Hawaii. What you're looking for doesn't exist in Thailand.

Re:expensive..

I live on, try to live on $9000 a year,surrounded with million dollar estates, over 20 acres.

4 Seasons Homes are 6 miles past Kona International Airport.. just over the Ridge.. just out of Your price range.

You can eat fresh from orchard and garden

and share Vanilla and other herbs, etc.

with upscale restaurants.

Ride horses and shoot guns..

On Hawaii Island.

Kidding about the Guns..I love Animals..

Find a Secluded Island..semi.. in Thailand. Or come on over.

Aloha. The Water is Blue

I am only in Thailand for about 2 months now. I have settled in Pai. I really love it here. Rented a beautiful house in the mountains. The scenery is beautiful, I wake up overlooking a mountain valley untouched by people except for a couple of dirt roads. Town is only 4km away.

Its a shame people replying here couldn't just give opinions about nice places in Thailand to live rather than complain about how much money the guy makes.

In San Francisco the ocean (Pacific) is at your doorstep. In Na Jomtien the gulf (of Thailand) is at your doorstep.

In SF (actually Foster City just south of SF) my home is on a canal right next to SF Bay. The biggest difference is the temperature of the water. You will freeze your nuts off when bathing in the Bay or Pacific...even with a wet suit. No problem with the water in the Gulf of Thailand.

In San Francisco the ocean (Pacific) is at your doorstep. In Na Jomtien the gulf (of Thailand) is at your doorstep.

In SF (actually Foster City just south of SF) my home is on a canal right next to SF Bay. The biggest difference is the temperature of the water. You will freeze your nuts off when bathing in the Bay or Pacific...even with a wet suit. No problem with the water in the Gulf of Thailand.

In the 1980's used to live on Shoreline Drive in Alameda and across the street was the Crown State Beach on SF Bay. I used to swim and go windsurfing. Never owned a wetsuit. Nuts still intact.

Edited by JLCrab

I am sorry, but idyllic places in Thailand.

Better you lookfor in another country.

The problem will be your Thai wife, will be able to live in another country?!?!?!?!?

Haven't met a Thai woman yet who would not like to travel.

Your speaking badly about Pattaya and Hua Hin a BIG NO NO here. But if you enjoy freak shows these are the two places to live as a bonus you have a filthy beach with little or no trees.

In the old days it seemed Thais dreamed of retiring in Chiang Mai. Don't think so anymore. Hua Hin seemed quite nice and especially clean 15 20 years ago. The traffic is turning into a nightmare there now nd it's hard to find clean water unless you get pretty remote.

I lived in Samut Prakan off Soi Bearring on Soi 8 for about 9 months. It was pretty quiet and clean and the SkyTrain was just down the street.

I wanted to be near the ocean though so I moved to Naklua, Bang Lamong. It's actually quite nice and just 10 15 minutes outside the Central Pattaya Circus. I don't think I could live anywhere esle around Pattaya. It really is a "freak show."

Been here 3 months and I want to start venturing out looking for clean water and beaches. Sadly the beaches are trashed here as well. The water is very dirty too... Thinking maybe koh Phi Phi or Koh Chang or Krabi...

Well go somewhere but never ever decide to stay in Thailand to live a great life the way you can do in Europe.....it's all far from that! So better go to Italy and spend your time there, enjoy the great food, the sun, the culture, the music and much much more...(i am not Italian):-))

Liking all Your posts..

Surfer Magazine called Nias, Sian.

Took me 10 years to figure out.

Great photos.

Phi Phi, h is Silent, is great.

Koh ... etc.

Check 3 bees guesthouse videos on YouTube.

Drone videos by an Italian.

Spectacular!

And don't forget Kauai,Maui ($$) and Hawaii..

I'm outta bandwidth..

laterz

As i travel the world i see a significant shift in the haves and have nots,,

in the UK the wealthy are just that and they like to show it off,, i was in

Düsseldorf once and i witnessed the same wealth show off, the big cars

and bigger wallets,, yet i go to other countries and i see people with not

much to eat,,, my income in various countries i invest in have shrunk

considerably,, so what am i ranting on about,,, today i am in the business

of liquidating because i foresee i huge shift in wealth and i believe the world

as we know it will change,,, to buy and settle down in one place i think is

very dangerous,, the thinking of the old days don't apply any more, i'm not

here to tell anyone what to do or give advice just to think of the future and

how it would apply to you,, outside of your own county you are a fish out

of water, no matter how much money you have,, the only difference is that

you will be a bigger target than me so i thank you for that, i now lead a very

low profile life,, i don't show or flaunt wealth, i don't look poor but i don't

have any bling,, i don't want to attract any unwanted fools in my direction.

Thanks for some more thoughts from all of you ,I do apologies to some members at mentioning the money ( northern working class English ) a bit tactless I,m afraid I have been lucky financially over the past ten years .60 years old now built a new house in Uk this year all modern but I,m not keen it's a bit soulless ,places mentioned I never heard of ie Maui I must go WOW. and until I just looked at the map someone posted I thought Hau Hin was quite close to Pattaya Lol .

Taking an overall view I would think the general consensus would be to take a good look round ,maybe don't buy and rent a nice place in the ares I might try to settle ,one of the reasons I am keen on Thailand is its people they do seem to show so much respect to others ,here in the Uk it's just a constant moan and whinge ,road rage etc etc ,Thai,s until you really provoke them are I feel much more laid back .Enjoy your lunches in the Los. Full English breakfast for me with HP sauce, I,m sure some you will know the brand