the most idyllic places to live

johnsmith1

I went to Thailand when I was 57 - got a nice small house and swimming pool for 1.000.000 baht, eat all the seafood I can possibly want, and have a huge garden.

That's cheap! I could not dream of that in Farangland.

....you definitely can't get this any more for 1 million Baht ! You pay 1 million for only the swimming pool nowadays! How long ago was that?
Reading that the thread starter has money, he could however afford renting for 35,000 Baht a month a nice house, garden and swimming pool, anywhere in a Bangkok mooban, on one of the islands, along the gulf or at the andaman sea shores.
Being a hard working Yorkshireman, he will probably be clever enough not to waste his hard earned money on a villa which he never will be able to sell.

6 years ago!

Free land (of my wife) - 6 rai of fruit trees and flowers.

I did not say mansion and Olympic pool.

Small house in European style, with bath and simple kitchen & big windows: 48 m2 living space.

Big enough for me & wife.

Swimming pool and water pipe 1km for free abundant mountain water: 5 X 2,5 X 2 m

Pool is built with the same concrete & air bricks as the house, and tiles - no major repairs in 5 years.

Of course all that is not built to last for generations, but we are 60 / 65, the house will outlast us.

In Farangland you build a house for children & grandchildren, here you are free to build it just for yourself, making it a lot cheaper.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of differing comments here, but the underlying theme seems to be cost restraints in the "west"

I worked in Australia until I was 67 but came to LoS 4 years ago.

1) my house was rented out, but negative geeing doesn't do much good with no income.

2) Australian pension sux

3) Private funds depleted following divorce

4) Rising cost of living in Australia (as many will testify)

Since here have built a house, which would have cost 5 times as much in Oz. Continue to travel. Cashed in old house.

Can live on 50k Bht pm.

Since the OP seems to have unlimited funds, he has the choice that few can afford. Good luck wherever he chooses to plant himself down. I'm happy here but must admit if I had that kind of $$$ it would be 6 month in TL and travel for 6.

No complaints, just don't try and tell your Thai wife how to drive :-)

thank you all for some more great replies ,they certainly have made me think ,I am lucky to have a choice of East or West but on balance because of the way

family life (certainly in my neck of the woods in the uk ) has deteriorated, and i have seen and experienced the caring attitudes of many thai people towards their

own friends and families ,I feel that however tempting the lure of a more temperate climate etc etc my main base will be in Thailand ( after a holiday at some of the places suggested on this board } I used to fish a little when I was a kid and I feel I would like to try my hand at this once again , I want to keep relatively busy but not business wise ( we have a holiday site in the uk which can take care of itself ) so maybe there are Fishing clubs in LOS ?? tried golf and I,m hopeless ,

off to Leeds now xmas shopping, I really do think the lights around Siam Center and Central World are fabulous nothing like that here that I,m afraid all very low key with Mr Camerons austerity cuts Merry Xmas

hi john,

its different for all mate as you know, what suits me wouldnt suit you,,a pig farm,,lol

im from lincolnshire from farming stock so that is really what i wanted to do, ive been in the oil and gas industry for years and still do the odd trip abroad and off shore if i get a good enough offer, but im happy with our pigs,ducks,chickens,budgies,caneries,finches, ect ect,

but this life of mine isnt for everyone, we go for weekens to a beautiful unspoilt beach that is 2 hours from us the kids and us love it, so its not all farming,

i grow most of my own veg, or try to, make my own sausage,lincolnshire of course,

you will find what your looking for mate, just have fun along the way finding it, itll drop in your lap when you least expect it,

take care

jake

better not buy anything and live like a cheap Charlie. .

I have never heard from rich people saying they were happy. instead they all complain that they have tax to pay, their house is too big, divorce,...

a monk is 1000x more happy than a rich farang.

Sour grapes perhaps? Do I detect an air of mendacity?

I believe that it is far better to be able to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

I don't consider myself rich as "Rich" is anyone who has more money than you do. I consider myself quite comfortable. I don't cry when paying taxes nor complain. My beef concerning taxes is all the wasted money that the government spends on uselessness.

My homes are not too big. They are just perfect for their purposes. As per divorce, I am still married to the same woman for the last 30 years. However, the reason divorce is so expensive is that it is WORTH it.

You don't become wealthy by being a fool or an idiot (unless you inherited it or won the lottery). Ergo you don't make the mistakes that some people make.

Many posters here said that the OP should rent and not buy. Yes, there is a possible downside on perhaps losing money on a resale of the property. But there are also tax advantages to that and one loss won't overtake other gains. Many people would rather not rent because of the uncertainty of remaining on that property. I enjoy fixing the property up to suit my taste and needs. I enjoy decorating it and furnishing it to my needs. I also like the idea of permanency, something lacking from a leased property where the owner may decide to sell the property leaving you seeking another place to live.

Leasing is good if you are not seeking permanent residency.

I have never heard from rich people saying they were happy. instead they all complain that they have tax to pay, their house is too big, divorce,...

I believe that it is far better to be able to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

I don't consider myself rich as "Rich" is anyone who has more money than you do. I consider myself quite comfortable. I don't cry when paying taxes nor complain. My beef concerning taxes is all the wasted money that the government spends on uselessness.

My homes are not too big. They are just perfect for their purposes. As per divorce, I am still married to the same woman for the last 30 years. However, the reason divorce is so expensive is that it is WORTH it.

You don't become wealthy by being a fool or an idiot (unless you inherited it or won the lottery). Ergo you don't make the mistakes that some people make.

Many posters here said that the OP should rent and not buy. Yes, there is a possible downside on perhaps losing money on a resale of the property. But there are also tax advantages to that and one loss won't overtake other gains. Many people would rather not rent because of the uncertainty of remaining on that property. I enjoy fixing the property up to suit my taste and needs. I enjoy decorating it and furnishing it to my needs. I also like the idea of permanency, something lacking from a leased property where the owner may decide to sell the property leaving you seeking another place to live.

well, you do what most all well off folks do.

buy a bigger house and more land and start building what you need there. what makes you happy? it could be an amusement park, pool, racetrack, wine cellar?

sooner or later you wont need to go out much and it wont really matter WHERE you are. you will also eventually find that if you can afford everything you could want any dissatisfaction is coming from within.

I don't think really rich people are generally all that happy.

Anyway, really rich people wouldn't live in Thailand, they need rule of law to protect their money.

Me,

If I were really rich I'd probably be in the USA, Sanibel Island is nice so is San Francisco.

How true

Lots of wealthy people riding bicycles,

I have 4 .......... riding one of them every day, no better way to live than a 30Km morning cycle ride to Wat Doi Suthep and back.

<snip>

<snip>

My homes are not too big. They are just perfect for their purposes. <snip>

Reminds me of John McCain's faux pas in the 2008 US Presidential election:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Wednesday that he was uncertain how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.

"I think — I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where — I'll have them get to you."

via Politco.com

^^ A lesson in not pontificating with the specific [12 direct references to 'self'] when the general is called for.

Relax Guy. The thread has been well received and few gone to into excesses. Until now....

Edited by optad

if you really do have that kind of money then just rent a villa, why buy ? you might as well tear it up and throw it away becuae you will never ever ever get your money back !!!

That's a ridiculous comment, i know plenty places where you can buy a big villa tomorrow and it will grow in value every year. Just buy along the new bts lines, why do you think all rich Thai do the same? They don't live there it's just investment.

^^ A lesson in not pontificating with the specific [12 direct references to 'self'] when the general is called for.

Relax Guy. The thread has been well received and few gone to into excesses. Until now....

Well said, thank you. It was one of those very dull days yesterday and I couldn't help stepping on the soapbox and pontificating. My bad. :)

if you have this feeling to be poor or wanting more in your miserable life , here I have a system to help you. go walk in a nice hotel, and think you own the place . or think you are the manager, and ask employees if everything is OK . just think you are a VIP like me, and you brain will think you are.

Edited by VIPinthailand

So many beaches or mountains to buy here and you wonder where to live...

Wealthy Thai live in Bangkok because they don't have more brain than the poor who have no choice but need to live there because of work.

I know incredibly people driving a ferrari (husband) and porsche panamera (wife) who do not understand why it could be better to live outside hell city...

i saw a ferrari in bkk just sitting still in never ending traffic, with a clutch.

seemed kind of funny, but they did not get the joke.

Well I,ve made what's become more of an informed choice thanks to the many posts on here ,I have decided to rent a Villa in a place called Ban Saray about 18k from Pattaya towards Rayong ,I will rent this for one year, it is (for me ) a good location to explore the offshore islands down there ,but also within easy reach of Bkk for the airports . I plan to take a trip to Sapa in Vietnam and have a good look round Asia but it will be nice to have a sort of permanent base to return to ,I won't put all my eggs in one basket and will keep my Uk house for visits to home as and when ,so many thanks everyone ,some great thoughts and ideas which have helped me at least take the next step I needed to do in my life ,I plan to move over there in Febuary of next year .

Merry xmas and a Happy New Year to all

Good starting choice. I think you will find that a useful place to get your bearings and assess the transition. Close to places of interest without total immersion. Will need a car next. Good luck.

Sir Geoff Boycott would be impressed.

Well I,ve made what's become more of an informed choice thanks to the many posts on here ,I have decided to rent a Villa in a place called Ban Saray about 18k from Pattaya towards Rayong ,I will rent this for one year, it is (for me ) a good location to explore the offshore islands down there ,but also within easy reach of Bkk for the airports . I plan to take a trip to Sapa in Vietnam and have a good look round Asia but it will be nice to have a sort of permanent base to return to ,I won't put all my eggs in one basket and will keep my Uk house for visits to home as and when ,so many thanks everyone ,some great thoughts and ideas which have helped me at least take the next step I needed to do in my life ,I plan to move over there in Febuary of next year .

Merry xmas and a Happy New Year to all

Excellent choice and just a few minutes from where I reside. I wish you much luck and happiness. Ban Saray is one of the beautiful places and has excellent access to the islands as well as the airports and Bangkok.