Frenchman found dead with throat slashed in Udon Thani

webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like suicide. He was able to cut his throat and throw away the glass and knife afterwards. w00t.gif RIP. coffee1.gif

And no traces.....please Google how many foreigners got killed in Udon Thani.Scary.bah.gif

I am a regular traveller around Thailand and a visitor to many provincial areas, particularly in Isaan, to enjoy the culture and visit long time friends. I guess I should now cross Udon Thani off my list. My list is getting shorter and shorter by the year so I guess eventually it will be so short there will no point in me coming to Thailand anymore and bringing my spending money with me. If the reports in Thai Visa are anything to go by it seems increasingly certain I will be rewarded with death either on the roads or at the hands of a violent desperado mugger or raving lunatic or yaba addict if i continue with the same lifestyle in the LoS. I think I need to reconsider my travel arrangements. TAT please take note.
I do not know where you come from, but I am from UK (not the poshest part), and have lived in Isaan for 10 years, in fact, I have never been back during my time here.

I read my local newspaper online everyday, and a lot more goes on there over a period of a few weeks, than anything you read about over here over a couple of years.

The whole world can be a dangerous place, it is up to the individual to work out the 'do's and 'don't do's wherever the choose to visit.

Very graffic pictures on Stickboy site.

Off topic, I know, but what's even more unpleasant are Stickboy's ads for the boiler room pubs and restaurants. He must be on their payroll.

Edited by Alration

Sounds like suicide. He was able to cut his throat and throw away the glass and knife afterwards. w00t.gif RIP. coffee1.gif

Add it up...

Slashed throat

Cuts to his fingers (defensive wounds)

Broken glass

Conclusion: no sign of a struggle

Actually cuts to his fingers would most likely have occurred should he be holding it as a suicide weapon too.

I don't think we will ever know about this one. The only way to find out is if there were other peoples prints on the glass or blood etc on an exit window.

Just for those trolls who like to make up their own version of the reports that have actually appeared here and in the Chiang Mai media, nowhere was the word suicide used by the police neither did they state that suicide was what caused the man's death. They did say that they were investigating his death

Edited by Alration

another sad story that happened to a foreigner in Thailand. I cannot recall any other country having so many deaths happen to tourists, and I am well traveled.

I've been to Udon Thani several times on my way to Laos. It is one of the biggest cities in Issan. I cannot imagine what would happen to a marked tourist in one of the poorer Issan cities.

Use caution! And don't get too drunk..that is when the most problems happen.

Suicide or not, it is sad. And the French embassy, as well as other suicides by foreign nationals, should investigate.

Edited by DanceAllNight

As I am living and staying in Isaan for a while already I think he was murdered. Interesting would be to know how long he has been staying in Udon already. Was he broke and possible asked for his money back from his lady? Maybe he had to move from his mansion to a cheap room after he got screwed my his lady and the family.

The investigation should just start but it wasn't a suicide.

Read the report, the investigation is under way and the police didn't say it was suicide. The only people using the word "suicide" are ThaiVisa posters

Another open and shut case of suicide for this guy. Chained on the inside will be their reasoning. Forget that it is one of the hardest ways to kill yourself. Slicing your own throat is not an easy task both physically and mentally

How do you know all this." Not an easy task both physically and mrntally"...wow would never have thought this without your knowledge based upon experience!!!!

RIP poor guy.

Clearly, it's better for the tourist industry if they say he was a distraught foreigner, rather than say the perps went out the window. We all know the deal here. coffee1.gif

It`s still a big problem for the Thai Tourist Industry, because it seems the moment Falangs set foot in Thailand they become distraught.

Obviously there must be a Falang blues bug floating about in the air.

And no traces.....please Google how many foreigners got killed in Udon Thani.Scary.bah.gif

a long time ago i had a girlfriend from udon thani.

she wanted to marry me. then i discovered that her family owed 200,000 THB and that i was expected to pay this off.

i discused the matter with another farang and his girlfriend who were in a nearby house.

i should not have done this. she told my girlfriend who then refused to sleep with me and threatened to have me killed.

it was late afternoon and too late to catch a bus out of the area so i stayed in the family house.

i left the lght on all night, put pillows in the bed, and sat in an armchair facing the door but hidden.

in the morning i just left. she later finished me and i believe is still working in pattaya looking for a victim.

the father was peaceful enough but you never can tell.

it is always money and lots of it.

falungs do get attacked if the money is not paid.

Presumably, you were a newbie at the time and had no understanding of the significance of Thais losing face. They always cause their own loss of face but can only redeem themselves by revenge against whomever made the issue public that they suffered lost face from. It is as if it was such a falsehood that they had to kill you and everybody understands and the face needle returns to zero.

Just so I can avoid this ever happening to me, how could the gentleman above have better handled that situation? A polite no and let the issue go without gossip? Or are you just born to lose once a Thai girl asks you for that kind of money?

I wonder if he was left or right handed??

according to the police reporting,

"Pieces of broken glass were also found there. There were no traces of a struggle, police said.

The man had sustained a severe wound to the right side of his throat which was about 10cm long, There were also wounds to the fingers of both hands, forensic officers said. "

So, cuts on both hands are never signs of struggling with somebody who holds a knife ready to slash your throat?

Where did the forensics learn their job, in a kindergarden building LEGO castles?

No report on a knife found, so how do you slash your throat left handed with a piece of broken glas, if the glas was the weapon?

These are not forensics the police employs, these guys should do a different job as they are obviously not fit for doing forensic research.

The report also shows a picture of the room, it is on ground level, and there's a large slide door leading to the outside, and guess what, i bet it was just pushed close after the murderer left, but our forensics didn't mind because the chain indicated a better motif which would be a quicker end to all the work they are supposed to do. Give the press an easy explanation and close the case, everything else would be too much work.

amazing how foreigners in Thailand make amazing ways at suicide, like jumping from roof tops, slashing ones own throat, jumping from bridges with roaps tied around their necks, and David caridone managed to strangle himself with hands tied behind his own back inside a wardrobe. LOL

Another open and shut case of suicide for this guy. Chained on the inside will be their reasoning. Forget that it is one of the hardest ways to kill yourself. Slicing your own throat is not an easy task both physically and mentally

How big was the window ???

Was there a balcony ???

Whats really sickening about this is the total disregard for peoples dignity and the feelings of relatives etc?

Why oh why in the name of some god somewhere is it deemed perfectly normal to show these type of photos?.

A truly appalling custom of this country!

........What are you talking about? Scary? Hardly any compared to most western cities of this size!......Only 2 others mentioned on google plus the Koh Tao copycat murder mentioned by someone on here, which, I grant you was worrying.

You are at far greater risk of being killed on the roads in Thailand!

.........And at much greater risk of murder in tourist areas.

Left or right handed , slash ? Self hypnosis ? A thousand years of Samurai culture of committing seppeku ( hair kari ) and most of them could not complete the ritual of plunging a knife into the stomach ,

how some one slashes their own throat what would the odds be on being able to do that 1-6million ?

"A thousand years of Samurai culture of committing seppeku ( hair kari ) and most of them could not complete the ritual of plunging a knife into the stomach"

Most of them didn't have 7 bottles of Chang (or whatever) down their necks before picking up the blade...........................wink.png

Silly comments, IMO especially when talking about someone who might just have been that one in six million (??) and taken their own life. Depression can be a terrible thing. .

I guess you have all the information,of autopsy and stomach contents , blood alcohol , etc, and you knew personally that he was depressed,

Yes outrageous suggestions Chrisinth. The self topper was obvlously really happy. This is a forum for strange subjects for strange people.

Udon can be a great place...but tourists/single guys....the older gals here are wise and experienced. Some of these gals have years of "working" behind them...both overseas and within Thailand. Alot of aggression....comes out in a heartbeat. Do your homework well. You won't find anything "fresh" up this way.

How big was the window ???

Was there a balcony ???

Patio door, ground floor.

B)

Edited by roo860

I am a regular traveller around Thailand and a visitor to many provincial areas, particularly in Isaan, to enjoy the culture and visit long time friends. I guess I should now cross Udon Thani off my list. My list is getting shorter and shorter by the year so I guess eventually it will be so short there will no point in me coming to Thailand anymore and bringing my spending money with me. If the reports in Thai Visa are anything to go by it seems increasingly certain I will be rewarded with death either on the roads or at the hands of a violent desperado mugger or raving lunatic or yaba addict if i continue with the same lifestyle in the LoS. I think I need to reconsider my travel arrangements. TAT please take note.

'Same Lifestyle'??? It is possible to enjoy a beer (and girl) or 2 in Udon Thani, where I feel very safe, and anywhere else in Thailand without indulging in the farang 'booze and bargirl' scene. Not driving or riding motorbikes,not taking minibuses or night buses, I would say also drastically reduces the risk of a serious road accident.