Riding position / comfort: CBR300 vs CB300F and Yam/Kwak equivalents?

SooKee

Will doubtless be picking up a new bike in the new year. I have a Click for the 7 runs etc but the last big bikes I owned were a few years back now with the last two being Kawasaki GPZ 1000 RX and then a Honda VFR750 (which I thought was awesome). I guess the bike I buy will either be one of the naked or faired 300s (or maybe a 500) from Honda, Yam or Kwak as that'll be plenty for my needs. I have been thinking about 2 aspects of ownership though, both regarding the riding position on the current crop of bikes. I'm 57, 6'03" and have long legs.

Firstly which of the bikes might be a better fit overall? That's quite easily tested by running round the Honda, Yamaha and Kwak dealers and having a sit to see which I feel more comfortable on and which, if any, crunch me up too much.

The other, more important, issue though is the lean on the faired versions of the bikes. I like the look of the CB 300 F and it's Yam/Kwak counterparts BUT I have to say I LOVE the look of the CBR300 and the Ninja 300. Big question though is how comfortable are they long term, not something that can so easily be judged from sitting on one for 10 mins. Of the bunch, I gather that the CBR300 is less severe in its sports styling lending itself better to casual riding as well as longer distances. While I'm sure in a shop I will feel OK on any of them it'd be interesting to hear from anyone that's bought either of the styles and regretted it because of posture/comfort issues. It's the aching back, wrists and stiff neck after a 2-3 hour ride I want to avoid. I guess the unfaired bikes might be slightly better posture wise but I like the wind protection of a fairing on longer runs.

Edited by Pick of Penang

I had same problems as you, long legs and need some wind protection when going over 120km/h.

Sports bikes are not comfortable at all for me, my knees are bent too much and I has to get off before the fuel stop and stretch my legs.

I ended up buying a Kawa Versys 650 2015 (mk3) and it fits the bill nicely. The screen is awesome, on a long empty strait road I was doing 150-160 for quite a while and no problems.

The stock screen can be raised app 10 cm by 2 hand screws but you have to stop for doing this but I find it fine at lowest settings.

I have further improved the comfort buy lowering the foot pegs app 3cm. Found the kit in a Versys forum and bought them from the dealer in California (US) for 50$ + 50$ shipping.

I am overall very happy with the bike, just enough grunt for fun riding and cheap to buy/run and the tank can take 21 lit.

i had a ninja 300 ,i loved the bike great around town but on long rides not at all comfy ,i then bought a versys same as above and love the long rides now ,but the ninja was fun and i do miss it , i would not have a cbr again ,the ninja was by far a better bike of the 2 sports bikes

Brilliant. Thanks folks. So much for keeping the costs down 5555. Looks like it might be a Versys. Or CB500X.

One of those things where you almost know the answer really. Are the sports style bikes going to be comfy enough when doing a run of 2 hours plus. Answer: most likely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a CBR500R and a Ducati Scrambler. The Scrambler has a completely upright riding position, more than a CB300F which still has a little bit of lean.

For two-up riding I'll take a upright riding position any day of the week. On my CBR500R I hurt my wrists after a while especially when my pillion leans on me.

But when I ride alone, it's not an issue at all.

Personally I'd pick a CB650F. Totally upright ergos, big enough for tall falangs and power to have fun.

If it has to be a 300, then I'd take the CB300F. CBR300R looks nice but now I prefer comfier rides over looks.

If you value looks and a sporty ride, then it might be worth waiting for the CBR250RR.

Yeah I'd take ride over looks too, especially when factoring in a pillion.

I was kinda guessing it would have to be an faired option. I'm no so much into the fairing for looks, more wind protection really. As nice as the CBR/R3/Ninjas look I think I'd regret it. It doesn't have to be a 300 either. Indeed I first considered the CB 500 X. Contemplating buying new but if buying a good used on I guess I could pick one up for the same price as a new Ninja / R3. Didn't really consider the 650 TBH, worth a look I guess :)

Don't know how much riding you have done, but when new bike shopping I rented a 500X for a week. Low power put it out of the running. And I have never been a fan of the sport bike riding position as I tend to travel distance, not short distance quickly.

I drove the CB650F with pillion from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen (one day) and back (two days).

Was comfy enough though I had to stretch my legs every 1-2h. Don't think it would be better on any of the smaller bikes.

The wind protection that the 300cc faired bikes give you is negligible imho. It doesn't matter much for the speeds these bikes do usually.

A CB650F has very good wind ergos which make you not feel it until 140/150 km/h. A Versys will be even better.

As always, take all the bikes for a spin. Ideally a full day each. You can rent all these in Chiang Mai. Probably BKK too.

I drove the CB650F with pillion from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen (one day) and back (two days).

Was comfy enough though I had to stretch my legs every 1-2h. Don't think it would be better on any of the smaller bikes.

The wind protection that the 300cc faired bikes give you is negligible imho. It doesn't matter much for the speeds these bikes do usually.

A CB650F has very good wind ergos which make you not feel it until 140/150 km/h. A Versys will be even better.

As always, take all the bikes for a spin. Ideally a full day each. You can rent all these in Chiang Mai. Probably BKK too.

Thanks for that. Interesting. Wind and weather protection your probably right TBH. Especially as we get enough good weather here not to have to ride in bad weather, at least no freezing rain, sleet and snow 5555. Any reason you went for the 650 and not the 500?

Canthai55: Great info about POP rental, I'll certainly pay them a visit when I've managed to come up with a shortlist less than 10. 3-5 ideal. At about what? 1,500 - 1,800 per day?

Happy Grumpy: The Benelli 302 is actually on the list. Stunning look in black with the red frame and some great reviews of it too.

Check out Pop - he has all the bikes you are looking at for rent

http://popcarrent.com/ Website in English. Can book online. My go-to place when I want to try the new models

I can second Pop. That's where I rented my CB650F. Friendly old couple at the shop (not sure if they are the owners).

They got loads of bikes, probably the biggest fleet in Thailand.

Thanks for that. Interesting. Wind and weather protection your probably right TBH. Especially as we get enough good weather here not to have to ride in bad weather, at least no freezing rain, sleet and snow 5555. Any reason you went for the 650 and not the 500?

Canthai55: Great info about POP rental, I'll certainly pay them a visit when I've managed to come up with a shortlist less than 10. 3-5 ideal. At about what? 1,500 - 1,800 per day?

Happy Grumpy: The Benelli 302 is actually on the list. Stunning look in black with the red frame and some great reviews of it too.

I was looking for a bike to upgrade from my CBR500R and the CB650F and Scrambler were the finalists. At the time there weren't many alternatives with upright riding position. Didn't want another parallel twin.

The CB650F cost me 1200THB per day to rent from Pop. Rented 8 days iirc. Other bikes might cost more, the CB650F is good value as its very popular.

The Benelli TNT 300 , and the TNT 250 are both superb bikes. The naked Kawasaki may suit you better than the Ninja , and for something different , how about a KTM 390 Duke now the new importer has reduced the price to 199K. Choices choices.

I rented a cb500 last week did 500 km in 2 days,the bike is comfortable enough,but I found it's a bit low for my liking I'm 5'11 don't think it will be any good for you,they do feel very small......can't say I really like them and would defo choose a versys over them,live the versys for touring Thailand on.