We need to cooperate and avoid conflict, Prayut says

rooster59

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still trying to figure out the time he mentions about when the people had peace and tranquility?

If you ask Thai people, not the elites, they will tell you it was when Thaksin ran things.

If you are talking only about the people in the North them perhaps you are correct. But when Thak was here the south was not happy as well as bangkokonians. Hence! My initial comment.

Dear Prime Minister,

It was the traditional peaceful nature of Thai culture that, in part, attracted me to retire in Thailand. I had considered other countries but have found a home here. I can understand your frustration with the position you have chosen to place yourself. Democracy is a messy business and constantly changes. In my humble opinion, Thailand is not alone in the stress within its society. If there is to be peace there must be basic economic and legal fairness and that is lacking. Again, Thailand is not alone in this issue in today's world but if Thais want political peace, this is what must be changed. Those with power must give more power to those who are economically disadvantaged.

Everything you wrote was great until the last sentence. May I intervine and suggest, 'Those elected democratically by the people must use that power to improve the lives of the poor.'

Of course corruption is still an ongoing problem so to add 'in a transparent way.'

Then there is the human rights issues at the moment. So to add further 'and the rights of workers and working conditions must be regulated and adhere to international standards'.

Okay, that should do it. Now thats what I want. Imo.

"Anything can be achieved if we cooperate. Don't contest each other and avoid resorting to conflict, then everything will work out," he said.

"The same thing goes with reform. If people are still arguing and think that their opinions are the best and must be the way, then we will not be able to do anything."

Prayut said "nothing will move forward" if conflicts remain, which would lead to a lack of confidence among investors and tarnish the country's ability to compete.

So why didn't you arrest the mad monk and the protesting nationalists?

What's so sad about this is that the guy probably can not see the irony and that his way or the attitude adjustment way is NOT the way forward.

There must be dissension and conflict for various opinions to be aired.

Does he really believe that he is infallible?

Yes that is the answer he does not understand the irony in his statements. Also the Abbott and Costello humor he projects. It has taken me 4 years to get my g/f to catch the one line zingers (I am famous for clap clap) and burst out laughing. She is now looking for a humor teaching job but sadly none seem available here. She is finally reaching her true potential which sadly is lacking here. At least she has a fighting chance after I snuff it.

"Anything can be achieved if we cooperate. Don't contest each other and avoid resorting to conflict, then everything will work out," he said.

"The same thing goes with reform. If people are still arguing and think that their opinions are the best and must be the way, then we will not be able to do anything."

Prayut said "nothing will move forward" if conflicts remain, which would lead to a lack of confidence among investors and tarnish the country's ability to compete.

So why didn't you arrest the mad monk and the protesting nationalists?

You never keep pit bulls on a leash. They are attack dogs.

By "cooperate", of course he means "OBEY!"

That is the same in every country.....You must obey Obama, Merkel, Putin etc

But Obama,Merkel and even Putin are legitimate leaders of fairly and democratically elected governments.The same cannot be said of tinpot dictatorships.Some may cite China but that country's government makes a trade off between freedom and rapid economic progress for the people.So in The US, Germany, Russia and China it is reasonable to obey all lawful direction.

In countries where governments seized power illegally and presided over corruption, incompetence and economic stagnation it is quite reasonable to resist and for those with courage to strike back hard.

China? some trade off between freedom and economic progress. From what I have seen on TV if you live in Beijing you will be lucky if you breath long enough to enjoy your "freedom"

I saw the talk last night. It was the usual awkward and disjointed presentation. The PM is not a natural speaker. My wife said, "He looks old." To me, he looked tired.

His calls for cooperation were delivered in a dead-pan way; no intensity.

He talked mainly about transportation issues. Mostly he just described how the government is implementing a few more light rail lines in Bangkok, and how parking garages might help alleviate traffic congestion. In the middle of his parking garage subject, he looked lost. He also spent a few minutes explaining why new buses might need to be imported, but over time, might have more local manufacturing content. As transportation was the "headline" topic, it was lacking in scope or vision, and focused on odd details. (I attribute these odd details to his reactionary style of governing, in which he attempts to address the issues of the week. This, of course, is a leadership no-no, as it allows his critics to set the agenda.)

All told, I would say he is either "mailing it in", or his support team is incompetent, or both.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Tell that to farangs that are getting bashed or treated like pieces of dog <deleted> everyday by locals. Maybe, the tourists, they do not understand that all that is part of peace and tranquility of Thailand. To be ripped off and scammed at every opportunity. If you want peace and tranquility then get the country back to a lawful one. As long as it stays the wild west then it is never achievable. Give the people a police force they can respect. Basically start all over again..

Fine words of course but cooperation is a two-way street unless the person directing traffic wants a one way flow only.

It is indeed. And neither of the two main factions will give up on their aspirations for total control. It's their way, all for themselves or nothing.

Neither is anymore interested in co-operation than they are in democracy, justice for all and a fair and free society.

A Junta or a Kleptocracy - what a charming choice.

Tell that to farangs that are getting bashed or treated like pieces of dog <deleted> everyday by locals. Maybe, the tourists, they do not understand that all that is part of peace and tranquility of Thailand. To be ripped off and scammed at every opportunity. If you want peace and tranquility then get the country back to a lawful one. As long as it stays the wild west then it is never achievable. Give the people a police force they can respect. Basically start all over again..

What are you talking about? Back to a lawful one - do you think that was the case under the previous regime?

I saw the talk last night. It was the usual awkward and disjointed presentation. The PM is not a natural speaker. My wife said, "He looks old." To me, he looked tired.

His calls for cooperation were delivered in a dead-pan way; no intensity.

He talked mainly about transportation issues. Mostly he just described how the government is implementing a few more light rail lines in Bangkok, and how parking garages might help alleviate traffic congestion. In the middle of his parking garage subject, he looked lost. He also spent a few minutes explaining why new buses might need to be imported, but over time, might have more local manufacturing content. As transportation was the "headline" topic, it was lacking in scope or vision, and focused on odd details. (I attribute these odd details to his reactionary style of governing, in which he attempts to address the issues of the week. This, of course, is a leadership no-no, as it allows his critics to set the agenda.)

All told, I would say he is either "mailing it in", or his support team is incompetent, or both.

He's finding life at the top ain't so easy. Whether your elected, run by proxy, or come to power through a coup, running things ain't easy.

It is not like the Army where he could order everyone, and never will be. More like herding cats.

He certainly needs a much better PR team, professional lobbyists and some top advisers. If he wants to be a PM he's got to behave like the politicians not like the former top general.

A corruption free government, a safer place to live and visit, a bustling economy, a free and liberal society, better rights for workers, closer international relations, reconciliation amongst divided political parties, improved morale of Thai citizens and foreigners living here, etc. I could go on. Well done PM Prayuth. Keep up the good work. ;)

Edited by tukkytuktuk

Dear Prime Minister,

It was the traditional peaceful nature of Thai culture that, in part, attracted me to retire in Thailand. I had considered other countries but have found a home here. I can understand your frustration with the position you have chosen to place yourself. Democracy is a messy business and constantly changes. In my humble opinion, Thailand is not alone in the stress within its society. If there is to be peace there must be basic economic and legal fairness and that is lacking. Again, Thailand is not alone in this issue in today's world but if Thais want political peace, this is what must be changed. Those with power must give more power to those who are economically disadvantaged.

Those with power will never give it up as long as their backsides point to the ground! That has been their way for 100's of years and it will not change anytime soon (unless they learn from Singapore).

And the leadership will continue to tell the ordinary Thai citizen "we are doing this for your benefit and happiness" - oh, really? Unfortunately the disadvantaged buy it! Corruption goes unchecked and until that is changed no amount of differing Government styles (democratic or otherwise) will advance the rights and aspirations of the ordinary citizen.

Dear Prime Minister,

Those with power will never give it up as long as their backsides point to the ground! That has been their way for 100's of years and it will not change anytime soon (unless they learn from Singapore).

And the leadership will continue to tell the ordinary Thai citizen "we are doing this for your benefit and happiness" - oh, really? Unfortunately the disadvantaged buy it! Corruption goes unchecked and until that is changed no amount of differing Government styles (democratic or otherwise) will advance the rights and aspirations of the ordinary citizen.

Singapore? Democracy? Try 'benign' autocracy, with most of the peoples fawning support. Support forthcoming because the money tree is in full Bloom. Much to laud about Sin, granted, but democracy is not 9new of them.

They also counter sued the victims families of the Silkair disaster for daring to seek compensation after the FAA and black boxes proved the captain murdered the first officer with the crash axe in the flight deck, then flew the plane into the ground. Their judge found an electrical system was at fault. Majulah Singapore!

Edited by dhream

A corruption free government, a safer place to live and visit, a bustling economy, a free and liberal society, better rights for workers, closer international relations, reconciliation amongst divided political parties, improved morale of Thai citizens and foreigners living here, etc. I could go on. Well done PM Prayuth. Keep up the good work. wink.png

What Thailand do you live in?

Wait a minute...djjamie, is that you?

Dear Prime Minister,

Singapore is an interesting case study in Asian authoritarianism. A single party state masquerading as a democracy. Singapore's success was largely due to the single character of Lee Kwan Yueh. A strongman, who against the odds wasn't actually out to feather his own nest but truly believed in his role to develop Singapore.

The closest Thailand has ever got to a LKY was Prem. Unfortunately he was only a shadow of LKY and couldn't find it within himself to actually see outside of the boundaries of the status quo, and chose to work within those boundaries, much to the detriment of Thailand.

Maybe, had he found that ability to see beyond the confines of his class and clique, this country may well have been able to emulate the Singapore of Lee Kwan Yueh

So NASA space agency explain to screen watches via an old programming of Carl Sagan on your IPad jetting into Thailand the escape velocity of the voyager was achieved from the Jupiter asteroid belt by gravitational sling shot physics ( see maths equation)

Meanwhile in Thailand as cows settle into rest and millions of Thais hear the general report via their screens that Farangs don't understand...........

Edited by Plutojames88

What are you talking about? Back to a lawful one - do you think that was the case under the previous regime?

I was not talking about any past regime. I was suggesting it gets back to when Thailand was lawful. However many years ago that was. I have seen it get progressively worse day by day in the last 5 years I have been here. I feel it starts by the example of those at the top. Also having a proper paid and not corrupt police force will also make the country recover. Nowadays no one has repect for the law or enforcers of it. Being judges, police or politicians.

I am still trying to figure out the time he mentions about when the people had peace and tranquility?

If you ask Thai people, not the elites, they will tell you it was when Thaksin ran things.

It was well before Taksins time. Taksins time was also full of conflict too, if you were around at that time and remember? I remember it well. People were rather upset about his dictator style. Edited by MaiChai

Dear Prime Minister,

Sorry, as an American, I am inclined to remember revolutions...

• 1 month later...