ED-Visa in Pattaya

Anyway I've paid and on 3rd January will go to Laos...

Assuming the paperwork, which must be provided by the school, is in order you will receive a single entry ED visa which will allow a stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days of that 90 day entry you must apply (with paperwork from the school) for an extension of stay at immigration and the fee is 1900Bht. The max extension period available would be 90 days.

Total time in Thailand (assuming extensions are obtained) cannot exceed one year.

Assuming the paperwork, which must be provided by the school, is in order you will receive a single entry ED visa which will allow a stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days of that 90 day entry you must apply (with paperwork from the school) for an extension of stay at immigration and the fee is 1900Bht. The max extension period available would be 90 days.

Total time in Thailand (assuming extensions are obtained) cannot exceed one year.

yes. exactly! every 3 month i will need to extend my ed-visa...

my additional payment -is 7500 THB for visa-run to Laos...

yes. exactly! every 3 month i will need to extend my ed-visa...

my additional payment -is 7500 THB for visa-run to Laos...

Are you sure Pattaya immi is still granting 3 months?

School will say so, but not necessarily true.

Didnt they change the rules regarding hours of study?

I think youve got to study quite regularly to qualify.

I also remember reading many times on here: 'the education visa's days are numbered in Thailand'

Looks an expensive option anyway.

Didnt they change the rules regarding hours of study?

I think youve got to study quite regularly to qualify.

I also remember reading many times on here: 'the education visa's days are numbered in Thailand'

Looks an expensive option anyway.

Requirements are purported to be 4 days/ wk - more than the attendence at any class at a normal university (usually 2 or 3 days / wk in the USA). So if you wanted to combine your ED with touring around and seeing Thailand (the point, for many), that is out. Supposedly, they are spot-checking at schools to verify attendence records are accurate. Perhaps some schools have made "arrangements" to minimize and/or receive advance notifications of these.

As to whether one actually gets 90 days, or has to show up at Immi twice in that 90 days - for a while, a "fee" system to avoid the 2nd visit existed. The "fee" used to be about 3000 Baht for a "hassle-free" full 90-day stamp. But I read at least one report here that this had ended, along with the "language tests" given by officers. Instead, attendence records seem to be the focus. But, of course, as with all Immi-matters, all policies may vary by what Region / Immi-office one's school falls under.

When your course of study is over, you may need to obtain a new passport to be able to get Tourist Visas easily from many nearby consulates, as consulate-personnel have been told that those on ED visas are "up to no good" / working illegally. How they are expected to know the difference between the 90%+ not working, and the "bad apples" is not clear, given only catching a violator at work would answer the question (and solve the problem).

Imagine if all the IOs being sent to Language Schools, to verify who showed up for class that day (instead of visiting a Wat or island), were instead sent to where Farangs are purported to be working? Imagine if a paid-tipline was used to help root out the violators? Food for thought.

"When your course of study is over, you may need to obtain a new passport to be able to get Tourist Visas easily from many nearby consulates, as consulate-personnel have been told that those on ED visas are "up to no good" / working illegally. How they are expected to know the difference between the 90%+ not working, and the "bad apples" is not clear, given only catching a violator at work would answer the question (and solve the problem). "

Hearsay or you have proof of this ?

• Like 1

"When your course of study is over, you may need to obtain a new passport to be able to get Tourist Visas easily from many nearby consulates, as consulate-personnel have been told that those on ED visas are "up to no good" / working illegally. How they are expected to know the difference between the 90%+ not working, and the "bad apples" is not clear, given only catching a violator at work would answer the question (and solve the problem). "

There are many posts here of those attempting to get visas and having consulate personnel see their ED visa and say, "You are working in Thailand...". The last I recall was just a few weeks ago in Vientiene - where the OP was refused a Double-Entry (this was just before those were ended). This was at the "most friendly" of local consulates:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868794-double-tv-still-available-in-vientiane-before-13-november/#entry10068480

Another fellow arrived on a valid ED, and was refused entry at the airport for "insufficient funds" - though he clearly had access to those funds, as he purchased an expensive air-ticket home to avoid imi-jail. This was at the very beginning of the "crackdown" on ED-Visas.

Of those reported here on this forum, how many more cases are not?

There are many posts here of those attempting to get visas and having consulate personnel see their ED visa and say, "You are working in Thailand...". The last I recall was just a few weeks ago in Vientiene - where the OP was refused a Double-Entry (this was just before those were ended). This was at the "most friendly" of local consulates:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868794-double-tv-still-available-in-vientiane-before-13-november/#entry10068480

Another fellow arrived on a valid ED, and was refused entry at the airport for "insufficient funds" - though he clearly had access to those funds, as he purchased an expensive air-ticket home to avoid imi-jail. This was at the very beginning of the "crackdown" on ED-Visas.

Having a return ticket in no way indicates that a person has enough funds to live here for however long.

Having a return ticket in no way indicates that a person has enough funds to live here for however long.

He needed to show 20K baht, though the IO did not disclose that as the reason for the denial of entry during their conversations. He later discovered the "reason" after having what the rejection-notice, written in his passport, translated. Under these conditions, one may not have access to an ATM machine - but he did not even know that was the reason, initially. In other words, the money was just the 'excuse'.

He did not have a return ticket at the time of arrival - his ticket back to Paris was purchased to avoid going to jail, and surely cost more than 20K baht. He was not permitted to purchase a ticket to another destination. Being French, he was stuck away from his home here for 3 months before he could re-apply for a new visa (the arbitrary rule at Thai consulates in France). I do not know if he lost all his personal belongings in the process. He certainly lost his tuition paid for school.

The issue was/is not about "having enough money to live here" - it was/is about arriving on an ED Visa, which has a strong "taint of illegality" now - not only at the border, but at Immigration offices across the country and at neighboring consulates. His story is the worst-nightmare all of us under 50s live with every time we leave the country - being denied entry, even with a "proper visa" in hand.

I am not saying people should not go the "ED-Visa" route if that will work for them. I am saying they should be prepared for these attitudes, and to get a fresh passport if they decide to go the "Tourist-Visas from neighboring consulates" route, later. That is what I would do - plus always carry 20K Baht in cash and travelers checks when crossing the border, and have documented proof that your money comes from overseas (his came from a Hong Kong business, which was also the reason for his trip).

Edited by JackThompson

i was one of the rare people that enjoyed going to school and didnt work, I was even fine with going the 4 days a week

but it just got to complicated and rules for this visa seem to change on the fly and every immigration officer you speak to seems to have his/her own rules as well. I gave up on it this year went home for a while, came back on tourist... be prepared for a ride, I hope it works out for you but I dont know anyone anymore that has a smooth 1 year ride with an ED visa. Good Luck

I am in the planning stages of doing a trip this year to learn Thai. I intend to check out some language schools when I come in March for a regular vacation and get the ball rolling on a school and ED Visa at that time. I know I have to leave and come back but sounds like this might be more complicated than I was thinking. Hopefully it all works out for me because I will likely arrange an apartment, pay for the school etc in March. Would really suck if I was still denied entry after all of that.

Edited by Haiguize
  • Like 1

I am in the planning stages of doing a trip this year to learn Thai. I intend to check out some language schools when I come in March for a regular vacation and get the ball rolling on a school and ED Visa at that time. I know I have to leave and come back but sounds like this might be more complicated than I was thinking. Hopefully it all works out for me because I will likely arrange an apartment, pay for the school etc in March. Would really suck if I was still denied entry after all of that.

If you have not already been staying here for an extended period, your first go-round should not be a problem. For those staying here long-term, it is another story. The "leave and come back" need only be a trip to Laos or Penang**, returning on the ED. If you have the 20K Baht in hand upon entry, and do not have a history of living in Thailand long-term prior, you would not be denied entry.

Someone currently staying on an ED in the area where you intend to live (Pattaya, as with the OP?) can give you the best information about what the local Immigration office will put you through to get your extensions during that year - though this process can, and has, changed. Perhaps, the $100 "fee" per extension, allowing one to comply with the rules in peace, is still an option in some areas. Its a small price for peace of mind.

**Check to see if the Consulate(s) in your home-country will give you a 1-Year Multi-Entry ED visa, which avoids the need to go to immigration, as you just do border-runs every 3 months - far superior if you can go that route. This type cannot be obtained nearby. You will need to supply them with the paperwork from the school.

Edited by JackThompson

hearsay, the time in the USA is irrelevant and the 3000 baht is BS

He needed to show 20K baht, though the IO did not disclose that as the reason for the denial of entry during their conversations. He later discovered the "reason" after having what the rejection-notice, written in his passport, translated. Under these conditions, one may not have access to an ATM machine - but he did not even know that was the reason, initially. In other words, the money was just the 'excuse'.

He did not have a return ticket at the time of arrival - his ticket back to Paris was purchased to avoid going to jail, and surely cost more than 20K baht. He was not permitted to purchase a ticket to another destination. Being French, he was stuck away from his home here for 3 months before he could re-apply for a new visa (the arbitrary rule at Thai consulates in France). I do not know if he lost all his personal belongings in the process. He certainly lost his tuition paid for school.

The issue was/is not about "having enough money to live here" - it was/is about arriving on an ED Visa, which has a strong "taint of illegality" now - not only at the border, but at Immigration offices across the country and at neighboring consulates. His story is the worst-nightmare all of us under 50s live with every time we leave the country - being denied entry, even with a "proper visa" in hand.

I am not saying people should not go the "ED-Visa" route if that will work for them. I am saying they should be prepared for these attitudes, and to get a fresh passport if they decide to go the "Tourist-Visas from neighboring consulates" route, later. That is what I would do - plus always carry 20K Baht in cash and travelers checks when crossing the border, and have documented proof that your money comes from overseas (his came from a Hong Kong business, which was also the reason for his trip).

buying a ticket to avoid going to jail, what a load of BS. Edited by FritsSikkink

Thanks for the reply Jack. Perhaps I should look into it here first. I am coming from Canada. I kind of wanted to go and check out the schools first hand before I made a final decision on which one to attend. I do indeed want to learn Thai so that would be important for me. I will give it all some consideration.

Thanks for the reply Jack. Perhaps I should look into it here first. I am coming from Canada. I kind of wanted to go and check out the schools first hand before I made a final decision on which one to attend. I do indeed want to learn Thai so that would be important for me. I will give it all some consideration.

If you truly want to learn the Thai Language then the ED Visa Schools that are aimed at Foreigners will only deliver the basics, the mickey mouse Thai for the most part and almost every school is pretty much the same. They might have different methods, one school might have a better teacher or if you plan to be in a group class I have been in classes where everyone is serious about learning and others where they didnt care about learning Thai at all.

If you want a better course I would look at the universities such as Payap Intensive Thai course where you go to school all week and get homework... It is a bit more intense for sure and of course the best way to learn Thai is to go out in the real world put your pride and shyness in your pocket and try to speak it with the locals which has always been a problem for me:).

Not saying the ED Visa Schools are bad but if you are a serious student you will probably out grown them pretty quick unless you happen to find a unique teacher that thinks out of the box and does not read from her textbook, however the the first year going to these schools is alright, like i said gives you the basics

... I do indeed want to learn Thai so that would be important for me. I will give it all some consideration.

If you truly want to learn the Thai Language ... I would look at the universities such as Payap Intensive Thai course where you go to school all week and get homework...

Important point in this option - a "real university" can get you a Full 1-year ED-Visa without all the immigration-hassles that the "Language School" obtained visas involve. If you have the time to put into the course, this could be an even better option than a Multi-ED from your home-country consulate.

• Like 1

... I do indeed want to learn Thai so that would be important for me. I will give it all some consideration.

If you truly want to learn the Thai Language ... I would look at the universities such as Payap Intensive Thai course where you go to school all week and get homework...

Important point in this option - a "real university" can get you a Full 1-year ED-Visa without all the immigration-hassles that the "Language School" obtained visas involve. If you have the time to put into the course, this could be an even better option than a Multi-ED from your home-country consulate.

Language Schools do not obtain or provide Visas !

Where is this "full year" visa issued ?

A university student may, with paperwork supplied by the university, obtain a one year "extension of stay"(it is not a visa) from immigration.

Language Schools do not obtain or provide Visas !

Where is this "full year" visa issued ?

A university student may, with paperwork supplied by the university, obtain a one year "extension of stay"(it is not a visa) from immigration.

Most schools prepare paperwork specifically for the Consulate to be used - Laos (either) or Penang if local. One cannot "obtain" a visa without the paperwork from the school. The OP already knows the "where the visa and extensions come from" info, from the earlier posts on this thread.

But to clear any doubt, it is the school-type which determines what one "obtains" from immigration - a full year ('real' university) or 1, 2 or 3 months at a time (language-school).