Travelling From Bkk To Ko Lanta

Eastender

Hi,

I'm planning for next years trip, which will hopefully include a side trip to Ko Lanta. I need to plan it by the day before booking flights in and out of Thailand as I'll also be meeting friends and relatives in BKK and Nakhon Sawan.

So, assuming flight times are favourable, is it theortetically possible to leave BKK in the morning and get on Ko Lanta by afternoon evening? Where's the nearest airport, Krabi or further south? Is there likely to be an afternoon ferry. Thanks for any help.

Robin.

I think it's possible. You may catch a TG's morning flight to Krabi, departing about 8 am and arriving about 9:15 am. Also, a low cost airline Air Asia offers a morning flight to Krabi but it departs later, around 9 something. But air asia is not recommended as there is a high possibility of a delay. After arriving at Krabi airport, you may take about 45 mins or and an hour to get to the pier and another 2.30 hrs to get to Koh Lanta. The ferries leave daily from 0830-1830. So if you leave BKK in the morning, you will sure make it to Lanta by the afternoon or evening.

Have a wonderful trip!

Sky

what most people do not realise hat there are far quicker and more frequent ways t reach that isle. yes kra airpt is best/closest by. also note you do NOT need to go into town (unless you really want only that ferry) but

1.at MAIN rd (some 1 km away from term. airport) many local pickups run to the Ferryharbor for lanta jus off main road south, askpeople at stop (do NOT cross main road), untill about 18.00, take short carfarry across, then other pickup or motosy tro accomm.

2.when I passed though, but thats some time ago, they ere also selling ''seats in van'' direct to lanta at airpt, but that of course may be seasonal/to demand.

Here is the update info for you - I go there every year for my diving trip.

Infact from Krabi airport they do have taxi or also mini van go directly from airport to Koh Lanta - actually from airport to the pier take time about 45 minutes and from the pier to Koh Lanta take time only 30 minute for both piers.

The route will be: krabi airport - pier, take first ferry to Koh Lanta noi - pier at Koh Lanta noi and take ferry to Koh Lanta yai!

The easier way just take mini van, then don't have to worry about anything - you will be at Koh Lanta in the same day.

Really nice and beautiful there, you will love it!

The best season to Koh Lanta is around Nov. til end of April.

• 2 years later...
Infact from Krabi airport they do have taxi or also mini van go directly from airport to Koh Lanta - actually from airport to the pier take time about 45 minutes and from the pier to Koh Lanta take time only 30 minute for both piers.

The route will be: krabi airport - pier, take first ferry to Koh Lanta noi - pier at Koh Lanta noi and take ferry to Koh Lanta yai!

I am headed to Koh Lanta next week, taking the 0800 flight from BKK, arriving Krabi about 0915. Does anyone know the current status of getting a minibus from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta? When can I buy a ticket, where do the busses load at the airport?

Thanks for any info.

I am headed to Koh Lanta next week, taking the 0800 flight from BKK, arriving Krabi about 0915. Does anyone know the current status of getting a minibus from Krabi Airport to Koh Lanta? When can I buy a ticket, where do the busses load at the airport?.

Frankly, you worry far too much (a quite un-Australina ting)-KRA airport is small and its just a matter of using eyes and look. Or using muth and ask. It would be hard to miss the desk seling the tickets-and this is Thailand, so they will make sure yue are also on their bus-besides the other minibus to KRa town there wont be much to choose in between. As it goes: any plane will deliver ike 150/160 pax-so there will be enough to fill that bus. NO, you cannot book online and there is also not any reason to do so. On the reverse-also never no worry-ay place you stay will know the ropes and ask you when you tel them to check out, if you have it arranged-if not they gladly do that for you to. pick up at their place-deliver at airprot or in KRA-town, or bussation-you can choose.

UPDATE: There is no direct minibus service from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta. At least there is not now, mid-February 2009. It might have existed last year, but it does not exist now. The options are:

- taxi or bus to Krabi town, then minibus to Lanta

- taxi or minibus to pier, then boat to Lanta

- taxi to Lanta

In asking around here on Koh Lanta, I have found that the reason for this is the "strength" of the taxi operators. A direct minibus would cut into their operation, and the "fees" that they pay are commensurate with them not having competition from a direct minibus.

I was able to split the cost of a taxi with a woman and her daughter, and bargained down to 1700, this made it not too bad.

There are frequent direct minibuses from Lanta to the airport.