Alcohol 'school safety zones' unnecessary, says Phuket poll

webfact

Alcohol 'school safety zones' unnecessary, says Phuket poll
The Phuket News

1450793414_1-org.jpg
Officials raid a night venue near an 'education institution' in Phuket earlier this year. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- The government campaign to ban the sale of alcohol anywhere near schools and other “educational institutions” is unnecessary, according to a huge majority of people who voted in the latest online poll by The Phuket News.

Following the cocktail of heady confusion brewed by the double whammy of a loosely worded government regulation coupled with a just-as-vague direct order by the National council for Peace and Order (NCPO), businessfolk who sold alcohol near “education institutions” have been left stumped over whether or not they can sell alcohol.

Central to the issue is whether the 300-metre “no alcohol zone” ordered by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is appropriate in all areas as well as the confusion over what exactly was the definition of an “education institution”.

Highlighting how confused even officials are over the issue was the latest development in which the Phuket Excise Office, which also acts as the local licensing authority, being sent back to the drawing board and ordered to literally redraw the map show where the proposed alcohol-free zones in Phuket are to be.

To this, Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornrat said plainly that every “education institution” must have some booze-free perimeter. Apparently, the Phuket Excise Office misunderstood that by trying to rely on “appropriate distance”.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-school-safety-zones-unnecessary-says-phuket-poll-55519.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-23

An unnecessary, moralistic attempt to prove the junta are on top of the job and doing everything it can to ' protect ' the nation.

IF, and it's a big one, this is ever fully applied look at how many businesses and jobs that will be affected.

Meanwhile the BIB and local govt officials must be rubbing their hands at being handed yet another easy way to get more tea money.

I don't understand. They produce a poll that says 99% of people are very happy with the

governments performance an they want people to listen to that poll but they don't want to

listen to a poll that shows the vast majority of people think this alcohol exclusion zone

around schools is unnecessary. Reminds me of the expression "If I want your opinion, I

will give it to you" blink.png