Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

....I'm wondering if out of the two (you know who's) they made an application for a new Simm Card. If they lost the it in phone left behind on the beach. Should not be too hard to find that info out. I'd say check records a day or two later. It would be all too easy to just check the bloody Simm Card in the found phone to know who owns it. I know how the procedure works. I've lost mine a few times while in Thailand. The number can be transferred to the new card too no problem. The coincidence of ANY of the suspected guilty party obtaining a new Simm Card and phone reg during this time period is just too astronomical to comprehend. One has a better chance of finding a Black phone on a beach lit up on a 3/4 moonlit night....Which I've also done! I found one just like as I said once on a beach....didn't work....was soaked by the sea.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the official plot here?

Forgive me, I have not read all the aspects of this cruel crime, as much as other experts here.

D&H at the beach.

D has all his clothes stripped down without one shoe?

H has on all her clothes?

Then the perpetrators come after drinking 2-3 beers and beat with the Hoe D unconscious?

Raping H 1 time vaginal and 2 times anal?

Then they hack their victim barbarous to death and go home sleep?

Is this the official Plot?

Well that does seem to fill in the blanks of their story which is.

We were drinking and suddenly decided to take a swim at 1 o'clock in the morning, whilst it was raining. Our clothes were then stolen, but not the guitar or Wei Phyo shoes. We left those behind and went back to room to sleep. We can't remember anything between 1am and 5am because oh we were overcome by the alcohol. At 5 o'clock in the morning Muang Muang woke us up and Wei Phyo and Muang we innocently went back to the beach to get our things. We looked for a long time but could not find the guitar, so we separated. As I (Wei Phyo ) was walking along the beach looking for my shoes, I stumbled upon a telephone that is similar to David's but probably not David's, some other person must have left it on the beach. I don't know, I'm confused. Just in case it might be David's we decided to get rid of it and destroy it, because we thought we might get accused of the crime that we had just heard about this morning.

"it refers primarily to cctv footage that was never made public,"

Is it? I think you are just making assumptions.

In any case the man in the footage looks (at least the hair), very much like Wei Phyo:

attachicon.gif10255664_167427003616827_1542313092971708374_n.jpg

Hair completely covering the ear, pronounced forward pointing sideburns, the length at the back and the overall volume of the hair.

IMO anyone that denies the close similarities is not paying attention, at best.

Picture perfect match thumbsup.gif

A few posts back their was a discussion about the infamous lost , used up dna and some extracts from the reporting was provided.

For the sake of clarity I think the following link is the article

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Forensic-evidence-not-lost-police-chief-30264238.html

' Meanwhile, national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompunmuang dismissed reports that the DNA evidence in the case could not be re-tested as some of it had either been "used up" or lost.

' Thawatchai agreed, saying the BBC had misunderstood the officer and that the evidence had not been lost. However, he said, some DNA samples may have been used up in accordance with the examination process. '

here we have Somyot saying dna not used up whilst Thawatchai samples may have been used up .

what do we make of this statement

"This report may have resulted from a mistranslation of the officer's statement," Somyot said, adding that maybe the officer wanted to say that the evidence had been handed over to the Institute of Forensic Medicine after the investigation finished.

Are we to assume that some evidence was not forensically tested untill after the investigation

Let me correct that for you.

NO, here we have Somyot saying dna not be used up whilst Thawatchai say SOME samples may have been used up

some
səm/
determiner
determiner: some
  1. 1.
    an unspecified amount or number of.
    "I made some money running errands"
  2. 2.
    used to refer to someone or something that is unknown or unspecified.
    "she married some newspaper magnate twice her age"

The Cruncher

here we have Somyot saying the DNA evidence is still available to be retested , because he is dismmising the BBC report that some of the dna is used up or lost.Whilst the prosecutor states some of the dna is used up.

In addition we have Somyot suggesting that it was a misunderstanding from court testimony when the reality it was the officer giving a statement to the BBC

Whatever your views on this case......

To find a mobile phone lying in the middle of a murder scene and not make any attempt to find the owner, recover data , and do a complete data trail on the said phone is at best incompetent and at worst gross misconduct.

Has there been any data trails on any phones carried out that night? .....NO simply and utterly incredible.

This investigation was an International embarrassment to Thailand and more importantly to the victims.

I am sorry to say but if the Miller family is happy with the investigation , I am totally dumbfounded!

I agree with everything you said except for the last sentence

Just remember the Millar family are just ordinary people who likely have never in their lives had to deal with a court - lawyers - murders - police - justice systems - dna - evidence - investigations ........the list is endless, if one of them had been a law practitioner or in the police their opinion might have been vastly different

They also come from a country were it is generally expected and accepted that the police will make a determined effort to investigate and bring to justice those suspected of committing crimes, although not perfect we generally trust the justice systems in our own countries and have faith in law enforcement crime prevention and crime investigation, if police in the UK say they have a dna match to a murderer it is seldom challenged and if it is challenged the "original samples" will be made available to the court in evidence for retesting along with proper documentation with all the procedures and protocols strictly followed - becaue if they are not followed the evidence could be dismissed and that would generally mean a case being thrown out of court

Thailand seems to have adopted the western science of dna but has failed to impliment the strict protocols associated with such evidence, one does not work without the other, it isn't even the science or procedures, it is just very simple common sense, if police want to submit dna as evidence they need to keep some of the original sample so that (if they choose) the defence can verify it - stupidly simple and air tight

There are exceptions were dna evidence is a very small sample, in that case the defence team are brought in to be part of the testing process, in the case of these murders the claimed dna samples would have been huge by dna standards and likely taken multiple times both at the crime scene and during autopsy, the claim that an original smaple no longer exists is quite frankly rediculous

I would advise the Millar family to have a long talk with a legal expert who I'm sure would be more than happy to walk then through this case from start to finish and point out the weaknesses and irregularities and why they exist

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.

He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.

He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman. But he has already to Bangkok.

He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.

He said the southern police were coordinating with the metropolitan police to hunt him down, and expected to apprehend him today.

The southern police chief also assured the public that there was no arrest of scapegoats in this murder case as it now is a focal attention of the world.

He also dismissed any suggestion of local mafias or influential people that could twist the investigation with promise that local influence would pose no obstacle to the police investigation.

Instead the police will eliminate all these mafias, he said.

Meanwhile a police source said the police are also looking into the cooperation of those who helped to arrange the suspect to escape. They also will be arrested.

Question to the Glee Club (alig,lucy11,desperate dan etc)

I've the highlighted sentence's I need your views on, Why would the police make this statement that they had seen both Mon & Nomsod on cctv ?,Surely they couldn't of made a mistake or there eyesight was that bad to make such a huge error!.

I would love to see the cctv footage and the evidence they had! ......Pretty sure that's long gone now!

The chain of events as far as I have pieced it together was the police asked for help from the public to identify the man on the CCTV footage, AKA the running man; the people at CSI-LA didn't like when Nomsod went to their page to contend their BS and decided he looked like that man, then the police used that supposed ID to make their statement.

You know, the same way that people here decided that anyone that doesn't jump in the "Scapegoats" bandwagon must be connected with the murders or the supposed cover up.

This was posted last year by the man running the CSI-LA page "Nom Sod" and his friends had posted comments on CSI during the time that Sean leaked out a statement that he was being threatened and bullied by the mafia. In many ways, this allowed Admin and people on CSI LA page to. see the suspicious behavior and we were able to recognize the close similarity in the physical features of the suspect betweem the CCTV video and "Nom Sod"."

Sorry don't believe any of that crap you've just spewed out there!..... Then again you and your buddies only believe anything that fits in with your agenda!.. Sad to say!.

Real police would not make a statement like the above without real evidence and if they had any common sense go on whats presented on social media!

Sorry don't buy it as the RTP are real pros!

That same real police also went to the press to announce that Chris Ware was a prime suspect and cited blood in his trousers as evidence... except that there was no blood, oops.

And I'm the one supposed to believe everything the police said. rolleyes.gif

The police jumped the gun naming suspects multiple times during the investigation, that's a fact, not an agenda.

It's not about taking things on belief, it's about using the thing between the ears to evaluate information.

So your basing your 100% guilty verdict on police hearsay on their dodgy DNA. Because you need to get it into that thing between your ears that DNA evidence has verified by a independent source, Not on a scribbled piece of paper prepared in house by your great RTP!

To find a mobile phone lying in the middle of a murder scene and not make any attempt to find the owner, recover data , and do a complete data trail on the said phone is at best incompetent and at worst gross misconduct.

Has there been any data trails on any phones carried out that night? .....NO simply and utterly incredible.

This investigation was an International embarrassment to Thailand and more importantly to the victims.

I am sorry to say but if the Miller family is happy with the investigation , I am totally dumbfounded!

Just remember the Millar family are just ordinary people who likely have never in their lives had to deal with a court - lawyers - murders - police - justice systems - dna - evidence - investigations ........the list is endless, if one of them had been a law practitioner or in the police their opinion might have been vastly different

They also come from a country were it is generally expected and accepted that the police will make a determined effort to investigate and bring to justice those suspected of committing crimes, although not perfect we generally trust the justice systems in our own countries and have faith in law enforcement crime prevention and crime investigation, if police in the UK say they have a dna match to a murderer it is seldom challenged and if it is challenged the "original samples" will be made available to the court in evidence for retesting along with proper documentation with all the procedures and protocols strictly followed - becaue if they are not followed the evidence could be dismissed and that would generally mean a case being thrown out of court

Thailand seems to have adopted the western science of dna but has failed to impliment the strict protocols associated with such evidence, one does not work without the other, it isn't even the science or procedures, it is just very simple common sense, if police want to submit dna as evidence they need to keep some of the original sample so that (if they choose) the defence can verify it - stupidly simple and air tight

There are exceptions were dna evidence is a very small sample, in that case the defence team are brought in to be part of the testing process, in the case of these murders the claimed dna samples would have been huge by dna standards and likely taken multiple times both at the crime scene and during autopsy, the claim that an original smaple no longer exists is quite frankly rediculous

I would advise the Millar family to have a long talk with a legal expert who I'm sure would be more than happy to walk then through this case from start to finish and point out the weaknesses and irregularities and why they exist

Ok, but anyone attending that court and listening to the evidence given by the RTP "experts" can only have been left open mouthed and bewildered.

If the trial was at the Old Bailey then NONE of us would be hear now arguing and debating.

The trial was in Thailand, with one of the worst, corrupt ....(edited out).

I am an ordinary person, but followed the investigation and trial closely, it left me bewildered and confused, so lord knows how the FOUR VICTIMS family's feel.

I find it incredible that they the Millers were totally satisfied, I only hope they are privy to information that is not in the public domain and if they are and the evidence is damming...I humbly apologize.

Edited by Scott

A few posts back their was a discussion about the infamous lost , used up dna and some extracts from the reporting was provided.

For the sake of clarity I think the following link is the article

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Forensic-evidence-not-lost-police-chief-30264238.html

' Meanwhile, national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompunmuang dismissed reports that the DNA evidence in the case could not be re-tested as some of it had either been "used up" or lost.

' Thawatchai agreed, saying the BBC had misunderstood the officer and that the evidence had not been lost. However, he said, some DNA samples may have been used up in accordance with the examination process. '

here we have Somyot saying dna not used up whilst Thawatchai samples may have been used up .

what do we make of this statement

"This report may have resulted from a mistranslation of the officer's statement," Somyot said, adding that maybe the officer wanted to say that the evidence had been handed over to the Institute of Forensic Medicine after the investigation finished.

Are we to assume that some evidence was not forensically tested untill after the investigation

Let me correct that for you.

NO, here we have Somyot saying dna not be used up whilst Thawatchai say SOME samples may have been used up

some
səm/
determiner
determiner: some
  1. 1.
    an unspecified amount or number of.
    "I made some money running errands"
  2. 2.
    used to refer to someone or something that is unknown or unspecified.
    "she married some newspaper magnate twice her age"

well that clears that one up, now everybody has a clear understanding of what "some" means. well done

can you also clarify what "I don't know" means - also used many times by police giving testimony during this trial lol

In any case the man in the footage looks (at least the hair), very much like Wei Phyo:

Hair completely covering the ear, pronounced forward pointing sideburns, the length at the back and the overall volume of the hair.

Picture perfect match thumbsup.gif

how difficult do you think it would be to work out the height of running man in this footage, we have a fixed camera and angle, a known distance from the camera - and for added accuracy we have fixed structures in the background, I would say it could be worked out to within 1cm, not rocket science - a simple set of fixed points known distance and a couple of angles

One post has been edited. Please remember this from Rule # 2:

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

We would like to make sure that neither the forum nor any of our members get into trouble with the Thai authorities. We are quite well aware that this limits what can be said, however, this is an aspect of the law that we must abide by.

TO -: JL Crabb

Ref ; Your Post #2333

There was a time when I thought your obtuse posts were cleverly crafted, but I now have serious doubts after what you just wrote. You obviously know a lot about what makes LOS 'tick', but don't you ever read about the the failures of the Thai police to follow up and prosecute cases where HiSos are involved. I'll start you off with an easy clue....Energy Drink. BTW, I've lived in LOS for 10+ years, and know there are laws here just like many other countries. However, the populace ignore most of them and the authorities usually only enforce them when it is to their financial or political gain. Surely it's not that difficult to see and comprehend, is it?

Ok, but anyone attending that court and listening to the evidence given by the RTP "experts" can only have been left open mouthed and bewildered.

If the trial was at the Old Bailey then NONE of us would be hear now arguing and debating.

I am an ordinary person, but followed the investigation and trial closely, it left me bewildered and confused, so lord knows how the FOUR VICTIMS family's feel.

I find it incredible that they the Millers were totally satisfied, I only hope they are privy to information that is not in the public domain and if they are and the evidence is damming...I humbly apologize.

it was pretty well covered on these forums and couple that with a considerable contribution from people that have experience in these matters, there is generally a good and well informed understanding of what took place, I personally have been very consistent with my observations that were mostly concerned with the dna - Davids injuries - and how the investigation should have progressed starting from the AC bar were the victims were last seen alive, also the fact that Mon knew the hoe had been moved and had it put back which itself was interfering with the crime scene and critical evidence, and the hoe was positioned some distance away from the bodies, not easy to connect it to the crime scene until the whole area was thoroughly searched and the fact that is was missing - what hoe ? the one that was placed right there

His Phone records were shown in court

DiscoDan

I am unaware such a disclosure took place do you have a link

I was under the impressin the lead investigator on Khao Tao requested a report of Nomsods interview but never recieved it

Havn't got the link but will have a look I think it was right at the start of the tirial,

Ref ; Your Post #2333

There was a time when I thought your obtuse posts were cleverly crafted, but I now have serious doubts after what you just wrote. You obviously know a lot about what makes LOS 'tick', but don't you ever read about the the failures of the Thai police to follow up and prosecute cases where HiSos are involved. I'll start you off with an easy clue....Energy Drink. BTW, I've lived in LOS for 10+ years, and know there are laws here just like many other countries. However, the populace ignore most of them and the authorities usually only enforce them when it is to their financial or political gain. Surely it's not that difficult to see and comprehend, is it?

Thanks for explaining things for me.

I feel so sorry for the Millers. I can only imagine what this has been like for them. They seem to have closed their eyes and ears to the media and social media over this because they really didn't want to know what had happened to their son. It looks to me that we know much more about what happened than they do.

Mon was photographed inside the crime scene a few hours after the bodies were discovered also on a Thai TV News reprt footage aswell as I remember.

So why the hell was he not a witness for the defence? A member of the public inside a crime scene? Why?

He has to tell why he was inside that police line!

The chain of events as far as I have pieced it together was the police asked for help from the public to identify the man on the CCTV footage, AKA the running man; the people at CSI-LA didn't like when Nomsod went to their page to contend their BS and decided he looked like that man, then the police used that supposed ID to make their statement.

You know, the same way that people here decided that anyone that doesn't jump in the "Scapegoats" bandwagon must be connected with the murders or the supposed cover up.

This was posted last year by the man running the CSI-LA page "Nom Sod" and his friends had posted comments on CSI during the time that Sean leaked out a statement that he was being threatened and bullied by the mafia. In many ways, this allowed Admin and people on CSI LA page to. see the suspicious behavior and we were able to recognize the close similarity in the physical features of the suspect betweem the CCTV video and "Nom Sod"."

it refers primarily to cctv footage that was never made public, you think the only footage from all the cameras on that Island that night/morning consisted of about 20secs in total, another alarming fact is why police did not seize cctv footage from AC bar, the place the victims were last known to be alive which should have been the starting point for the police investigation

Astounding, that is definitely the SAME person!!! Anyone disagreeing with this needs to go to see an optician.

Is this the running man? I haven't paid too much attention to this CCTV footage aspect. Well dug out AleG - interesting to see what the 'scapegoat' posters say about this.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

< big snip >

I feel so sorry for the Millers. I can only imagine what this has been like for them. They seem to have closed their eyes and ears to the media and social media over this because they really didn't want to know what had happened to their son. It looks to me that we know much more about what happened than they do.

... or does the UK Embassy in Bangkok

Ref ; Your Post #2333

The laws and associated justice system of Thailand are not visible to the naked eye.

But JLC, at least you have had the foresight to bring along a very powerful pair of binoculars, are you on to anything yet that you can report or are the runners still in the back straight?

Ref ; Your Post #2333

The laws and associated justice system of Thailand are not visible to the naked eye.

But JLC, at least you have had the foresight to bring along a very powerful pair of binoculars, are you on to anything yet that you can report or are the runners still in the back straight?

No.

< snip>

From the above letter:

"The original message of the Ambassador is: "Even though we do not wish to meddle with the Justice system of Thailand, we would like to request the Prime Minister for review and reconsideration of the case."

However, what's a little meddling among friends. huh?

Edited by JLCrab

Mon was photographed inside the crime scene a few hours after the bodies were discovered also on a Thai TV News reprt footage aswell as I remember.

So why the hell was he not a witness for the defence? A member of the public inside a crime scene? Why?

bcase it was 50 m from hes back yard,he is the land owner and he was the one who quided the police there.

What u suggest he shud of grow pair of wings and fly away from the crime scene,so off course he was in picture. After police was escorted by him , police did close the area .how do i know this.bcase i was there.

75 % of stories written in paper about this case was un true and only written&published to sell papers.

1502488_912146038882485_4305921244700316

Those two quotations are very similar in nature - easy to misquote them!! I think the corrected statement even has one or two words the same out of the 30 or so words in the original quote, so it is understandable really. It's almost as if he cocked up on what he was supposed to say once hearing the verdict but I guess misquoting is what it will have to be.

Is he still the envoy?

bcase it was 50 m from hes back yard,he is the land owner and he was the one who quided the police there.

What u suggest he shud of grow pair of wings and fly away from the crime scene,so off course he was in picture. After police was escorted by him , police did close the area .how do i know this.bcase i was there.

75 % of stories written in paper about this case was un true and only written&published to sell papers.

He was inside a crime scene....period

It does not matter if it had happened inside his front room, it's a crime scene...Law enforcement only!

He was inside a crime scene....period

It does not matter if it had happened inside his front room, it's a crime scene...Law enforcement only!

But but but, don't you know who I am? .....

Why is Mon so worked up presently if nothing to worry about? Threatening people online, tisk tisk, Uncle.

Land owner or no, The man shouldn't have been within the crime scene period, as few people as possible should be allowed for obvious reasons. I really want to see the killers put in jail, so bad.

That post is BS, it claims that the victims were murdered at the place they were staying, they were sharing rooms with friends.

Unfortunately it's the kind of BS that is consumed with gusto by those that don't want to accept reality for what it is instead of what they wish it would be.

Besides that, a man claiming to be Burmese, using a Thai celebrity photo taken from Panthip as his image creates an account to make one post... Say, anyone wants to buy a bridge?

Talk about clutching at straws, cheesy.gif