Mae Sai Visa Run + Border Run Question

Hello All,

I have family here that is visiting from a G-7 country. She received a 30 day visa exemption good until January 19th, 2016.

I also know that "Visa Runs" - ie getting visa exempt stamps at land crossings is not normal practice anymore.

Myself, my wife, and son have non-imm B visas. We typically take a flight somewhere for our 90 days extension on our existing visas.
Problem is that our Visas expire right in the middle of this family members visit. So we want to do a 'Border Run' with her, but are unsure if they will issue another exempt stamp to her on the way back in.

Question 1:

If we cross the border at Mae Sai and spend a day or two there will said family member be issued a visa exempt entry on return? She doesn't need another 30 days only a week or so extra and will be departing before January 19th (expiration of original stamp). So in this sense its not a really a 'Visa Run', more like a tourism exit and entry if that distinction even matters.

Question 2:

Will they issue another 90 day extension at the land border crossing on our existing visas? ie a typical "Border Run" to Mae Sai. If so, do they require any documentation at the border to issue this?

Thanks for your helpful input and experiences

Regards,

SM

1. You friend will not be allowed to do the crossing because she will not have a valid visa for re-entry to the country. They do not allow crossing for a new visa exempt entry.

They might however allow her to leave if she had a visa for Myanmar.

2. You will get a new 90 day entry (not an extension) when you re-enter the country. You need nothing more than your passport and 500 baht for the border pass for Myanmar.

1. You friend will not be allowed to do the crossing because she will not have a valid visa for re-entry to the country. They do not allow crossing for a new visa exempt entry.

2. You will get a new 90 day entry (not an extension) when you re-enter the country. You need nothing more than your passport and 500 baht for the border pass for Myanmar.

Thank you for the straight forward info.

On your answer to #2,

Question 3:

Should I be getting a Myanmar Visa for myself, wife and child to do this Border Run? Or will they allow me to do the exit and re-entry with my current no-imm visa only?

The main problem is that we have to do a border run for our new 90 day entry during her visit - and by the way this sounds we will have to ditch the family member with the exempt stamp for a day or two which is not ideal. We want to travel together which brings me to the follow up question:

Question# 4

Can we get a new '90 day entry' or extension of our existing entry at immigration in Chiang Mai?

Thanks again for all the great info.

Rgs

SM

Thank you for the straight forward info.

On your answer to #2,

Question 3:

Should I be getting a Myanmar Visa for myself, wife and child to do this Border Run? Or will they allow me to do the exit and re-entry with my current no-imm visa only?

The main problem is that we have to do a border run for our new 90 day entry during her visit - and by the way this sounds we will have to ditch the family member with the exempt stamp for a day or two which is not ideal. We want to travel together which brings me to the follow up question:

Question# 4

Can we get a new '90 day entry' or extension of our existing entry at immigration in Chiang Mai?

Thanks again for all the great info.

Rgs

SM

3.Since you have a valid visa for re-entry you will not have a problem doing the crossing. Just pay 500 baht for a border pass to enter Myanmar.

You can depart Thailand enter Myanmar turn around and come right back to the country if you want to. It should take less than a couple of hours at the most. You family member could wait for you while you are doing the crossing.

4. No

I just did a visa run to Mae Sot to activate my 3rd entry. Walking over the bridge took 5 min and 2 min to get the arrival and departure stamp and pay 500thb and walk right back to Thailand.What took longest time was to fill the arrival/depature card and get through the Thai immigration.

The people with Visa exempt can get a Day Pass to go over to Myanmar and leave their passport with immigration at Mae Sai - so the question of leaving and re-entering on visa exempt does not arise. It is very easy and safe. I have been in same situation as I have multi-O visa and can go across and return any time - but friends with visa exempt entry have just gone across with me using Day Passes. They need to get 2 copies of Passport - info page + page with entry stamp from the 1st shop to the left of the border immigration building - then apply at the immigration front kiosk at the border - it's very easy and only takes a few minutes. I don't know how long the Day Pass is valid - as we have always returned on same day.

The people with Visa exempt can get a Day Pass to go over to Myanmar and leave their passport with immigration at Mae Sai - so the question of leaving and re-entering on visa exempt does not arise. It is very easy and safe. I have been in same situation as I have multi-O visa and can go across and return any time - but friends with visa exempt entry have just gone across with me using Day Passes. They need to get 2 copies of Passport - info page + page with entry stamp from the 1st shop to the left of the border immigration building - then apply at the immigration front kiosk at the border - it's very easy and only takes a few minutes. I don't know how long the Day Pass is valid - as we have always returned on same day.

When did you do this trip? The VIP pass has not been allowed for the last few months

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/147481-mae-saitachilek-border-info/page-41

Please read post #1003

Last month. I go across quite often and have seen others getting Day Passes without difficulty - but that might depend on who is working on any particular day - and/or what mood they have on that day

I was in Mai Sai the middle of October, 2015, ( and posted here about that just a few weeks ago, when a similar question was asked ). They didn't require any copies of my passport, nor extra photo and in fact refused to take 500 baht, for my visit to Burma. They stamped me out of Thailand, with no problem, and Burma just stamped me in after giving them the requested ten US dollar bill, and standing in front of their little camera on a stick device. On return, Burma stamped me out, and Thai immigration gave me another 30 day visa exempt entry, and I have the passport stamp to prove it. Neither did Burma retain my passport on this trip, as they used to do in days passed, when they always used to give me a card with my passport info on it, that i used to have to turn in to get my passport back at that crossing, in order to return to Thailand. As always, the ability to do anything like this, or the day pass previously mentioned, varies by who is working and who is supervising on any given day. I was rather flabbergasted, as I had two Philippinos traveling with me, and the Burma immigration officials said to them, as I was standing by, "Welcome to Myanmar, no charge for our new fellow ASEAN members", so, they got in free!?! However, on return I noticed they were given 15 days, visa exempt, ( unlike my own thirty days, since I'm a US passport holder ). My Thai friends in Mae Si told me it's kind of a hassle for them to go over, too, and they are charged, just as I was, but in baht, not US dollars. Who knows, maybe I could have gotten in for 500 baht, if I'd stalled around, and insisted I didn't have any US currency? However, i wasn't in the mood to play that game, and waste my time, as well as everyone elses.

The lady with the visa exempt entry can extend that entry by 30 days at any immigration office.

If you and the others have valid multi entry "B" visas a new 90 day entry can be obtained at any International land border.

Just done a second time run across from Masai to Tachilek for my 90 day on a non immigrant O.

No problem , however the first one they asked for proof of address in Thailand, I did not have it , after a few minutes they accepted that I just wrote it down for them.

Never had any problems at Masai over the years but I see this time that they now have an Xray machine and Xray all luggage.

I have stayed in Burma a few time years ago but would not bother these days, very hard place to stay, best to walk in look around and walk out.

You get hussled a lot but I ignore them they all tell lies and want to lead you to shops where they get commissions.

There is one guy called " Slim" he is a little indian looking and has red teeth, he is there most days as you walk to the burmese side of the bridge, he speaks perfect english as he was trained by a couple of Knighted NZ sirs who tried to grow potatoes in Burma.

I have known him ten years and he is quite a character and reliable , however if you go shopping he will intice you to some shops if you let him.

I don't shop there as it is overpriced now as they are struggling to make money since the Visa running laws changed and not many falangs crossing the bridge these days.

If you drink you all can bring 3 big bottles of spirits back into Thailand, the duty free on the bridge is the best one.

I crossed there a few years ago just before my 30 day entry from NZ to BK expired and they gave me a further 2 weeks when I returned the same day.

So you should be fine.

Edited by kiwikeith

• 1 year later...

I just want to say that I did another visa run stamp on a tourist visa 2 days ago at Mae Sai / Tachilek border. They give me another 30 days extension in Thailand.

At the way out at the Thai immigration office it is clearly written "No more visa run will be allowed" but this seem not to be the case anymore. No question was asked on the way back to Thailand.

Have a good stay in Thailand!

3 minutes ago, GaisapLover said:

I just want to say that I did another visa run stamp on a tourist visa 2 days ago at Mae Sai / Tachilek border. They give me another 30 days extension in Thailand.

At the way out at the Thai immigration office it is clearly written "No more visa run will be allowed" but this seem not to be the case anymore. No question was asked on the way back to Thailand.

Could you clarify what you mean ?

Did you have a tourist visa or did you get a new visa exempt stamp ?

Did they give you an extension of a visa , or did you get a new VES ?

49 minutes ago, GaisapLover said:

I assume this means that you crossed at Mae Sai and returned receiving a visa exempt entry. (If this is incorrect, please clarify.) Have you done other border bounces by land for a visa exempt entry this year?

1 hour ago, GaisapLover said:

That sign was put up a few years ago, when they stopped allowing border runs there , they have since changed the rules and they allow two VES visa runs per calendar year , as of this January 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 12:24 PM, sanemax said:

Could you clarify what you mean ?

Did you have a tourist visa or did you get a new visa exempt stamp ?

Did they give you an extension of a visa , or did you get a new VES ?

I had a tourist visa made in Kuala Lampur and yes I have got a VES. Sorry for the delay.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 1:09 PM, BritTim said:

I assume this means that you crossed at Mae Sai and returned receiving a visa exempt entry. (If this is incorrect, please clarify.) Have you done other border bounces by land for a visa exempt entry this year?

Yes this is correct, for this tourist visa it was the first stamp.