15 school children escape with slight injuries after a school van turned one side up

snoop1130

'One side up'? Don't you mean 'on its side'? Sheesh - does anyone know decent English at ThaiPBS?

Gee, I thought it was whimsically creative. When non-native speakers (with a certain amount of expertise) use English, often it is poetically rich.

Whimsically inaccurate, more like. Logically (a quality often missing here) a vehicle can only ever be 'one side up'.

The English at Thai PBS is always pretty awful.

But don;t me, I'm just a pedantic ex-English teacher ...

Happy Christmas, ThaiPBS (not that awful X'mas they always write here with its redundant apostrophe)

I love it when someone, an ex-teacher too, comments on poor use of English and then makes two errors in one sentence of his own.

Please someone help me.

I have forgotten the name for it when someone uses a positive with a negative, i.e. pretty and awful.

To think I taught sociolinguistics for all those years. Damn.

Probably not a regulation in Thailand and two there would be compliance issues such as non compliance...

Since May 2014 5000baht fine for not wearing seat belt in public buses/vans.

Schools know this, eg: Thai Police to Enforce New Seat Belt Law | NIST ...

This looks to be a private van though. Maybe they are exempt? Trying to get a Thai to wear a seatbelt in the back of a vehicle is near impossible.

"This looks to be a private van though."

Yes, a private van inasmuch as it belongs to a private Anuban school in Chonburi. It most certainly isn' t a public transport van. Trying to get 5 year olds to wear seat belts would be next to impossible I should think.

http://www.anubanchon.ac.th/index.php

I understand the story headline. I am also in Thailand where English is

not the first language so I do understand the retranslation of this article.

It may have been more correct to say that the vehicle flipped onto its

side during the accident. I am just glad to hear that the injuries were

all minor. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Geezer

I would NOT let my son in one of those vans ,I see how they drive ,they are very aggressive and not care about children's safety ,many times they race past me on the way to school,they need to be there first ,those who would let their child sit in one must not care too much

The average Thai family probably don't have much options regarding daily transportation

Do you think they're sending kids in a van because the Rolls Royce is getting serviced? :) lol

Whimsically inaccurate, more like. Logically (a quality often missing here) a vehicle can only ever be 'one side up'.

Happy Christmas, ThaiPBS (not that awful X'mas they always write here with its redundant apostrophe)

Don't you just love (ex) English teachers?

"Logically [sic] (a quality often missing here)..."

"Logically" is a quality?

"But don;t me..."

"Don;t"? "But don;t me? What does that mean in English? Did you think that an apostrophe would be out of place in that awful "don't"?

Edited by Renrut

'One side up'? Don't you mean 'on its side'? Sheesh - does anyone know decent English at ThaiPBS?

Gee, I thought it was whimsically creative. When non-native speakers (with a certain amount of expertise) use English, often it is poetically rich.

I love it when someone, an ex-teacher too, comments on poor use of English and then makes two errors in one sentence of his own.

Maybe the writer of this article, was one of his students.

The van lost control lucky the highly trained driver was left in control of the van to make sure and avoid any accident that would possibly injure or maim any of his young passengers, with children he would have been the special driver who would take that exceptional care for the children’s sake. After all the soldier clamp downs on the roads they are just as dangerous as ever might have to lower the fines a bit more say about 20 Baht to save more lives.

Maybe the writer of this article, was one of his students.

Yup, I made two typos - I assume you are perfect and never do ... And there should be no comma after the word 'article', BTW.

Don't you just love (ex) English teachers?

"Logically [sic] (a quality often missing here)..."

"Logically" is a quality?

"But don;t me..."

"Don;t"? "But don;t me? What does that mean in English? Did you think that an apostrophe would be out of place in that awful "don't"?

Come on, you know it was a typo and the semi-colon key is next to the apostrophe key (on my UK keyboard, that is).

And yes, silly me, I missed out 'mind' before me. Typing to fast again and clumsy fingers. Tsk, tsk. Aren't I awful?

Who's the pedant now? Take a look in the mirror, Sunny Jim ...

Please someone help me.

I have forgotten the name for it when someone uses a positive with a negative, i.e. pretty and awful.

'Pretty'is an adverb which can be used in a positive or negative sense - eg 'Pretty good meal' or 'pretty awful meal'. 'He ran pretty fast' or 'she walks pretty slowly'.

adverb
informal
  1. 1.
    to a moderately high degree; fairly.
    "he looked pretty fit for his age"
    synonyms: quite, rather, somewhat, fairly, reasonably, comparatively, relatively
    "a pretty large sum"

I'll lend you my copy of Swann if you promise to give it back.

Please someone help me.

Obviously you taught it 'pretty' badly. If you don't know what you mean to say, what were you doing studying something you don't remember ... ?

BTW, before anyone comments, I see I made another typo when I accidentally typed 'to fast' instead of 'too fast' in a post above. Tsk, tk, silly me.

Now wait for the semi-literates in Isaan, wearing their sleeveless Chang T shirts, to come back. <shrug>

Please someone help me.

Obviously you taught it 'pretty' badly. If you don't know what you mean to say, what were you doing studying something you don't remember ... ?

BTW, before anyone comments, I see I made another typo when I accidentally typed 'to fast' instead of 'too fast' in a post above. Tsk, tk, silly me.

Now wait for the semi-literates in Isaan, wearing their sleeveless Chang T shirts, to come back. <shrug>

Actually it was an attempt at wit. The word is oxymoron.

Probably no other speeding car actually involved...the van driver probably just took the turn too fast. At least the van driver didn't use the typical excuse of "the brakes failed."

No report of him running away too, or if he was breathalyzed or checked for dope.