Thai Embassy in Yangon issues alert after protest following Koh Tao ruling

Jonathan Fairfield

I don't know if asking this is against forum rules, but is there any online petition to save these two boys? Thailand is a great country with lots of wonderful people. Killing two boys would only tarnish the reputation of this fine country. Maybe if everyone who reads this forum signed and forwarded a petition, it could make a difference.

If you are British, email your MP and castigate the government for supporting this travesty of justice. The victims were British and our government should be doing more to ensure Thailand catches and prosecuted the real perpetrators. However, if you believe the verdict is right and just you can also email your MP to tell him/her that. I will be doing one of the above.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best protest possible is for the local Burmese works pack up and go home. Then the Thais will feel the pressure. giggle.gif

Considering the fact that Burma now has someone with a bit of intelligence running the country there is a fair chance that the Burmese will soon start to return home and this will cause a huge loss of face if Thais have to start doing the work now delegated to Burmese.

Won't happen. Why do people from Myanmar come to Thailand, to get work, which is not available in their country. Many would not have a clue about the B2 and really wouldn't care less. Their priority would be to make money and send that back to the families, not go on strike because two of their countrymen did or didn't commit murder.

The photo showing a huge crowd protesting the verdict on the front of the BP proves you are wrong. They care very much. As to the Burmese government's mealy mouthed 'offering support', their envoy has 'accepted' the Koh Tao ruling. Disgusting. 'The Lady' should be ashamed of herself.

Please don't single out Burma for being "mealy mouthed" The mouthpieces for all governments are. Diplomats only worry about doing trade deals for big business and sumptuous dining toasting each other. Anyone else barely gets "lip" service. Your living in a whole new world order where sadly the little guy is on the bottom rung of life's ladder. They endure you only as a small cog in a bigger wheel that gets greased selectively not universally. Edited by elgordo38

Thai and Myanmar govts try to calm anger over death sentences

THE NATION

30275732-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- THE governments of Thailand and Myanmar yesterday tried their best to calm the anger and dismay that led to protests outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon after a court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death for the murder of two young British backpackers in 2014.

Yesterday, more than 1,000 Yangon residents showed up outside the Royal Thai Embassy from about 10.30am to protest and voice their dissatisfaction over the verdict.At the time of going to press, some 100 protesters were still camped outside the embassy, while monks lit candles in front of the building.

The Criminal Court in Surat Thani province convicted Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun of the brutal murder and rape of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao.

The Dagon township police forces blocked Manawhari Road by deploying more personnel than on Thursday, and also blocked the downtown Pyay Road.

Demonstrators stood on both roads that led to the Thai Embassy, with many holding signs saying "Shameless Thailand government", "Save Myanmar Poor Boys" and "Free Our Innocent Citizens", while others screamed "We want justice".

"This is just discrimination against us," demonstrator Min Thein Khaing told AFP. "There was little evidence, no witnesses and not much DNA proof, but they still got sentenced to death. It is unfair!" Comedian Khin Hlaing, who joined the rally, told reporters: "This cannot be regarded as only two lives of our |citizens. It is the image of our country. It is the dignity of our |government. Most Thai and Myanmar people believe that they did not kill the two Britons. So we believe it is a miscarriage of justice. We want to know the real truth. We need inclusive cooperation. All stakeholders including the government and non-government organisations are encouraged to join campaigns against the court's final decision."

Meanwhile, the Thai Ambassador to Myanmar met five monks, who handed over a letter addressed to His Majesty. The envoy promised the monks that the letter would be delivered and that he would tell the Thai government about the reactions in Yangon. The monks said later that the discussion was very fruitful and satisfactory.

The embassy's deputy chief of mission, who also met with the demonstrators, faced hostility and some protesters threatened to hit him with water bottles.

Separately, the Myanmar Journalists Association wrote an open letter to its Thai counterpart, urging it to seek "the truth behind the bureaucratic and judicial judgement".

The Myanmar Journalists Association thanked the Thai Journalists' Association for assistance during the recent flooding, and said it was time for them to join hands again to fight together for justice, human rights and democratic values.

Meanwhile, Information Minister Ye Htut and President's Office director Zaw Htay posted on Facebook that the Myanmar government would call on Thailand to review the case in line with Thai laws and regulations in order to ensure justice for Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun. They also said that the Myanmar Embassy here would work with other Myanmar organisations in Thailand to ensure justice for the two suspects.

Myanmar's Ambassador to Thailand Win Maung met PM's Office Minister Pannada Diskul yesterday morning to discuss the issue. After the meeting, he told reporters that the verdict would not affect diplomatic ties, adding, "I hope this case will receive special care and won't affect bilateral ties.

"Everyone who is a human, if they hear that they are getting the death sentence, they will be sad, but this is the legal procedure so we have to adhere to it. I told Panadda to look after the foundation of relations between countries," he said. "I very much hope that this case is looked after properly by the Thai government and let me tell you there will no problems affecting diplomatic relations because of this case."

In the meeting, Panadda also handed over US$11,879 (Bt430,613) on behalf of the government and people to the Myanmar envoy to help those affected by disasters in his country. The sum came from public donations in campaigns set up to help Myanmar nationals, the minister said.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said: "The investigations were already examined and certified by UK police about their confidence in our investigation. "I wish the protesters would understand that the ruling was done according to the laws. It is the start of the justice system."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-and-Myanmar-govts-try-to-calm-anger-over-deat-30275732.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-26

I hope it makes a difference and it resolves some or all of the issues at stake here.

The heart felt protests coming from the Burmese public at large makes for an emotional issue ...but then you hear the Burmese Government officials speak out as if their own country ( under their iron handed administration ) never has anything like this going on in their supposedly wonderfully just and democratic country.

We all know well the Burmese Governments long recognized track record of human rights violations that are ongoing as we speak throughout Burma.... every day.

However, in this case, any help the 2 Burmese nationals can be afforded by way of their government officials speaking on their behalf and protesting their convictions is all positive and hopefully helpful.

Just saying...and just reminding people.

Cheers

Nothing but media selfies. I imagine all the jade miners killed due to sloppy safety rules in the landslide have all been replaced and things are back to "normal" Hypocrisy at its best.

The best protest possible is for the local Burmese works pack up and go home. Then the Thais will feel the pressure. giggle.gif

Considering the fact that Burma now has someone with a bit of intelligence running the country there is a fair chance that the Burmese will soon start to return home and this will cause a huge loss of face if Thais have to start doing the work now delegated to Burmese.

Won't happen. Why do people from Myanmar come to Thailand, to get work, which is not available in their country. Many would not have a clue about the B2 and really wouldn't care less. Their priority would be to make money and send that back to the families, not go on strike because two of their countrymen did or didn't commit murder.

The photo showing a huge crowd protesting the verdict on the front of the BP proves you are wrong. They care very much. As to the Burmese government's mealy mouthed 'offering support', their envoy has 'accepted' the Koh Tao ruling. Disgusting. 'The Lady' should be ashamed of herself.

Not wrong at all. I said many, so quite legitimate to say so. It's like everything, you will always get a number who will protest, and I am not saying they are wrong in doing so, it's up to them but there are many more who would not have any knowledge of the incident, therefore would not express themselves one way or the other. They say about 1000 attended, not a huge crowd given the size of the population, equates to about 0.002 percent. As for those working in Thailand throwing away their jobs, highly unlikely and to get Thais to do the menial task undertaken by those from Myanmar, you might as well wait until the cow jumps over the moon.

This case has been exploited by politicians in Myanmar for quite some time now, that background seems to be missing from press reports.

Thai and Myanmar govts try to calm anger over death sentences

THE NATION

30275732-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- THE governments of Thailand and Myanmar yesterday tried their best to calm the anger and dismay that led to protests outside the Thai Embassy in Yangon after a court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death for the murder of two young British backpackers in 2014.

Yesterday, more than 1,000 Yangon residents showed up outside the Royal Thai Embassy from about 10.30am to protest and voice their dissatisfaction over the verdict.At the time of going to press, some 100 protesters were still camped outside the embassy, while monks lit candles in front of the building.

The Criminal Court in Surat Thani province convicted Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun of the brutal murder and rape of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao.

The Dagon township police forces blocked Manawhari Road by deploying more personnel than on Thursday, and also blocked the downtown Pyay Road.

Demonstrators stood on both roads that led to the Thai Embassy, with many holding signs saying "Shameless Thailand government", "Save Myanmar Poor Boys" and "Free Our Innocent Citizens", while others screamed "We want justice".

"This is just discrimination against us," demonstrator Min Thein Khaing told AFP. "There was little evidence, no witnesses and not much DNA proof, but they still got sentenced to death. It is unfair!" Comedian Khin Hlaing, who joined the rally, told reporters: "This cannot be regarded as only two lives of our |citizens. It is the image of our country. It is the dignity of our |government. Most Thai and Myanmar people believe that they did not kill the two Britons. So we believe it is a miscarriage of justice. We want to know the real truth. We need inclusive cooperation. All stakeholders including the government and non-government organisations are encouraged to join campaigns against the court's final decision."

Meanwhile, the Thai Ambassador to Myanmar met five monks, who handed over a letter addressed to His Majesty. The envoy promised the monks that the letter would be delivered and that he would tell the Thai government about the reactions in Yangon. The monks said later that the discussion was very fruitful and satisfactory.

The embassy's deputy chief of mission, who also met with the demonstrators, faced hostility and some protesters threatened to hit him with water bottles.

Separately, the Myanmar Journalists Association wrote an open letter to its Thai counterpart, urging it to seek "the truth behind the bureaucratic and judicial judgement".

The Myanmar Journalists Association thanked the Thai Journalists' Association for assistance during the recent flooding, and said it was time for them to join hands again to fight together for justice, human rights and democratic values.

Meanwhile, Information Minister Ye Htut and President's Office director Zaw Htay posted on Facebook that the Myanmar government would call on Thailand to review the case in line with Thai laws and regulations in order to ensure justice for Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun. They also said that the Myanmar Embassy here would work with other Myanmar organisations in Thailand to ensure justice for the two suspects.

Myanmar's Ambassador to Thailand Win Maung met PM's Office Minister Pannada Diskul yesterday morning to discuss the issue. After the meeting, he told reporters that the verdict would not affect diplomatic ties, adding, "I hope this case will receive special care and won't affect bilateral ties.

"Everyone who is a human, if they hear that they are getting the death sentence, they will be sad, but this is the legal procedure so we have to adhere to it. I told Panadda to look after the foundation of relations between countries," he said. "I very much hope that this case is looked after properly by the Thai government and let me tell you there will no problems affecting diplomatic relations because of this case."

In the meeting, Panadda also handed over US$11,879 (Bt430,613) on behalf of the government and people to the Myanmar envoy to help those affected by disasters in his country. The sum came from public donations in campaigns set up to help Myanmar nationals, the minister said.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said: "The investigations were already examined and certified by UK police about their confidence in our investigation. "I wish the protesters would understand that the ruling was done according to the laws. It is the start of the justice system."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-and-Myanmar-govts-try-to-calm-anger-over-deat-30275732.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-26

I hope it makes a difference and it resolves some or all of the issues at stake here.

The heart felt protests coming from the Burmese public at large makes for an emotional issue ...but then you hear the Burmese Government officials speak out as if their own country ( under their iron handed administration ) never has anything like this going on in their supposedly wonderfully just and democratic country.

We all know well the Burmese Governments long recognized track record of human rights violations that are ongoing as we speak throughout Burma.... every day.

However, in this case, any help the 2 Burmese nationals can be afforded by way of their government officials speaking on their behalf and protesting their convictions is all positive and hopefully helpful.

Just saying...and just reminding people.

Cheers

Nothing but media selfies. I imagine all the jade miners killed due to sloppy safety rules in the landslide have all been replaced and things are back to "normal" Hypocrisy at its best.

I would think the current military administration here in Thailand are in awe of how the Burmese military administration has lorded over the Burmese people for so long.

They probably consider Burma to be a perfect example of how well a military organization can administer a country so successfully while doing what needs to be done for the good of the country without any significant interference in their administrative capabilities.

Cheers

Just got this on my phone:

"The Lawyers Council of Thailand issued a statement for Myanmar people to be calm and have confidence in the Thai justice process in the Koh Tao murder case"

May I suggest, that the council have a look a Thai social media, to see what Thai people think of this farcical and tragic trial!!

Just got this on my phone:

"The Lawyers Council of Thailand issued a statement for Myanmar people to be calm and have confidence in the Thai justice process in the Koh Tao murder case"

May I suggest, that the council have a look a Thai social media, to see what Thai people think of this farcical and tragic trial!!

CSI LA is a good source for this. Thais are appalled at their system but I know they feel pretty powerless against it.

All of my Thai friends I know personally too think that the B2 are innocent. They know the consequences if they speak out against it though.

AleG

"This case has been exploited by politicians in Myanmar for quite some time now, that background seems to be missing from press reports."

How are they exploiting this incident. Have I missed something.

I would have to go fishing for news reports from last year to find a link, but I've read a couple were it was clear to me that politicians in Myanmar were doing the time honored practice of waving a bloody shirt to rally support for themselves.

In the beginning of this case everybody knew who did it. The son of a maffia boss. Why is there no investigation in this direction.

Exactly..how could they be so foolish to let a mafia boss of one island to run the country's legal system? I guess corruption runs quite deep and threats abound if such and such happens...

the mafia boss??(restaurant owner) took his son in for dna test because the local rumour mill had him pegged ad the culprit. fact is thailand does not use common law justice legal system..never has..i say boycott kho tao til real fair british common law justice is done.

Thais in Myanmar warned to be cautious
2412002-wpcf_728x409.jpg
The Thai embassy in Rangoon has warned Thai nationals living or travelling in Myanmar to take extraordinary cautions and to keep abreast with news developments following a protest by about 30 Burmese in front of the embassy on Thursday said Foreign Ministry’s spokesman Sek Wannamethee.
The protesters rallied in front of the embassy for about an hour to voice their opposition to the Koh Samui provincial court’s verdict condemning two Myanmar migrant workers to death after finding them guilty of the murder of two British backpackers, David Miller and Hannah Witheridge, on Koh Tao island last year.
The Myanmar government, said Mr Sek, has deployed more policemen, between 15-20, in front of the embassy as a precaution.
The protest was peaceful and lasted about an hour before the protesters dispersed, he added.
The embassy however reported that no Thais had been affected yet by the protest against the conviction verdict, said Mr Sek.
thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

The obvious question begging to be answered is why is there no protest at the Thai embassy in London???

........perhaps because the victims' family has accepted the verdict?

Why was the verdict released on Christmas Eve ????????? The family know nothing about Hi So or Lo So.

The good team of international criminal lawyers could be very helpful to Thailand justice system in this particular case. Nobody should be able to convict someone to death without strong evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. However the problem is as police said (approximately) : "Thais will never do that". Can you imagine if those two presumably convicts at this time were American boys?

Why in the world are these guys wearing "Honda" helmuts?

Can't imagine this is good PR for Honda. Did they pay the police for the free advertising? Disgusting either way.

It's not an advertising placement, it's a side effect of Honda branding their products and said brands' global recognition.

The police paid Honda for those helmets, and they got all the broadcast time for free.

I hope to god you're trolling, because day to day must be very confusing for you otherwise.

Trolling?

1. Thanks for the spelling correction. For someone who won many spelling bees I had to chuckle at my silly mistake. Fortunately, you were intelligent enough to understand what I was referring to; however, apparently you have no idea what advertising is all about or marketing. It is absolutely advertising placement otherwise why put their name (Honda) on the helmet? Why not just put "police" or "prisoner" like they do on clothing? And why buy from Honda? Why not a helmet manufacturer? And who says they bought them?

2. I didn't ask "why" they were wearing helmets, I asked why they were wearing helmets with "Honda" advertising their name on them.

3. And how do you know the police paid for the helmets? Maybe Honda gave them to the police for free for the free advertising. Curious how many helmets Honda has given the police in Thailand. Honda knows exactly why they promote their helmets that way. If the police buy all their helmets from Honda there is a reason. Could be financial.

5. In my view not much of a helmet for protection. Not even a face guard. One of the cheapest made. As with the verdict something smells here.

Btw, here's another correction for you. "Broadcasting refers to airwaves".

You are sounding like "Ed", from Phuketwan, using your own limited definition, Google can be your friend, or in this case enemy, I suggest before criticising someone you actually "check" your information. Let me help you

Broadcast definition

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/broadcast

I know it's digressing a little but it's a shame that foreign lawyers cannot be engaged to represent the B2. Those representing Baden-Powell in Australia did a pretty good job for their client. Convicted of murder by a jury, they were allowed to appeal and then presented a second defense, of "I didn't mean to kill her" and upon that appeal had his conviction downgraded to manslaughter. So a miscarriage of justice is possible anywhere.

I know it's digressing a little but it's a shame that foreign lawyers cannot be engaged to represent the B2. Those representing Baden-Powell in Australia did a pretty good job for their client. Convicted of murder by a jury, they were allowed to appeal and then presented a second defense, of "I didn't mean to kill her" and upon that appeal had his conviction downgraded to manslaughter. So a miscarriage of justice is possible anywhere.

It's not over yet, the DPP is appealing the downgrade.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/gerard-baden-clay-conviction-to-be-appealed-by-dpp/7059652

It's not over yet, the DPP is appealing the downgrade.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/gerard-baden-clay-conviction-to-be-appealed-by-dpp/7059652

Yes, am aware of that, just pointing out that situations can arise any where, not only here. The appeal would not have happened but for the public outcry and a petition of almost 50,000, I also should have put the correct name, Baden-Clay, who is the grandson of Baden -Powell.