Driving the Thai way

padsist4

Second year in Thailand and have a car and a motorcycle. I have been on the receiving end of road rage in both. Always as a result of using my horn when someone was about to merge into me. I use it to alert them and they go mental. I couldn't stop amd if I did nothing they ould have hit me.

Today I got an incident on dashcam where the motorbike rider chased me down, cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes to not kill him. Then he picks up a rock and throws it at my car. I have a nixe dent and gashes to the metal now. All on video, his face, license plate... But it seems like there is no point reporting it after reading this and other threads here. It would end up being my fault since I am not Thai or worse this psycho will find out where I live and come after me.

It is really unsettling because it happened near my home.

I am developing a strong impression of Thai smiles and friendliness being less than skin deep and a lot of very angry violent people here despite the teachings of the Buddha. It would really suck to have survived combat in the middle east to end up dead here because of some nonce's delicate ego being bruised.

What is so broken that there is so much anger and hate teeming just below the surface?

Edited by boxingpoetical

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second year in Thailand and have a car and a motorcycle. I have been on the receiving end of road rage in both. Always as a result of using my horn when someone was about to merge into me. I use it to alert them and they go mental. I couldn't stop amd if I did nothing they ould have hit me.

Today I got an incident on dashcam where the motorbike rider chased me down, cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes to not kill him. Then he picks up a rock and throws it at my car. I have a nixe dent and gashes to the metal now. All on video, his face, license plate... But it seems like there is no point reporting it after reading this and other threads here. It would end up being my fault since I am not Thai or worse this psycho will find out where I live and come after me.

I am developing a strong impression of Thai smiles and friendliness being less than skin deep and a lot of very angry violent people here despite the teachings of the Buddha. It would really suck to have survived combat in the middle east to end up dead here because of some nonce's delicate ego being bruised.

What is so broken that there is so much anger and hate teeming just below the surface?

Personaly never seen this anger you write about no sorry I'm wrong I have in the bars of soi 7 pattaya always farang tourist to drunk or to jealous. If indeed you have the footage of this incident I would go to the police. Did you use your horn against the motorcycle for him to display this rage!!! If not how did ir developed. Personaly I never use my horn now just hang back and let them cut in a lot easier and no danger of conflict

This morning on the Thai TV news, two Thai motorcyclists, who were unknown to each other, pass going in opposite directions, one is offended because he didn't like the way the other guy looked at him, so shoots him dead. Unbelievable!

Personaly never seen this anger you write about no sorry I'm wrong I have in the bars of soi 7 pattaya always farang tourist to drunk or to jealous. If indeed you have the footage of this incident I would go to the police. Did you use your horn against the motorcycle for him to display this rage!!! If not how did ir developed. Personaly I never use my horn now just hang back and let them cut in a lot easier and no danger of conflict

So if somebody is about to hit your car because of inattention, you'd rather have him damage your car than sound your horn?

Although I agree with you (I occasionally watch Thai news too) your average Thai doesn't easily get into a road rage incident. These incidents you are referring to generally involve truck drivers, sometimes pickup delivery drivers etc. and a LOT has to go wrong before a Thai will become upset. Merely cutting someone off, speeding past them, a motorcycle driving the wrong way down a Thai's lane does NOT cause them to go out and bash up said drivers or motorcyclists. In Australia, the US etc. if drivers drove the way they do here, yes, there would be numerous incidents.

Road rage, unless you become extremely agitated is NOT a concern for your average driver here in Thailand, whether you are a Thai, a foreigner, driving a Thai registered vehicle, or foreign registered.

Beg to differ, most of these road rage incidents involve average motorists, and the reasons are mostly petty, certainly not worth fighting over. Some Thais do have short fuses, and it doesn't take much to set them off. I watch the Thai news mostly every morning with my Thai partner and she explains all that's going on.

OK well I have seen one road rage incident that unfolded right next to me.

This was some years ago now, but I remember it very well. I was sitting in traffic in Samut Prakan, heading north along Sri Nakharin road. In front of me, a large truck rear ended a pickup. I didn't see who was at fault, but generally it's the guy who rear ended the vehicle in front. So the driver of the small pickup, who I could tell already had a lot of dents from previous accidents tries to fight his way up into the cab of the truck, but the truck driver doesn't let him. Finally, he kinda falls off and lands right next to my vehicle on my left hand side.

He picks himself up and has another go. Once traffic started moving again, everyone moved along but I noticed the two vehicles didn't.

Now given that the truck driver almost certainly hit the pickup, I can see cause for road rage.

However, merely driving aggressively (as a large percentage of drivers here do) that does NOT result in any accident, scrape or fender bender is normally ignored. If it wasn't then every win motorcycle taxi driver would have their lights shot out for driving against the flow of traffic.

Depends how much you used your horn I guess. In all my years of driving here, while I've seen a LOT of accidents more than anywhere else in the world and I've been to Vietnam, China etc. I have never been on the receiving end of what you have. Without jumping to any conclusions about your driving, I'd probably need to sit with you in your car to see if your reactions may have triggered something. Actually I've lived in those countries too, not just travelled there (admittedly not as long as in Thailand but still) and while I've seen my fair share of accidents especially in Vietnam, nothing compares to the scale of what I see here almost everyday.

I would report the incident. Don't let fear of racism or whatever get the better of you. Who says he would know where you live. You report it, see what happens and take it from there (and don't reveal your address if you don't want to). Not sure if it would be of any help, even though you did suffer minor property damage, but you can always try.

I once reported an incident where I guy I knew stole my laptop and the condo banned him from ever coming there again, with his picture up on the wall at the front gate. Not that I was able to get my laptop back, but the good news is 1) it was brand new so I lost very few files and 2) my insurance company paid me the full value of the laptop for a replacement.

bull poop

Depends how much you used your horn I guess. In all my years of driving here, while I've seen a LOT of accidents more than anywhere else in the world and I've been to Vietnam, China etc. I have never been on the receiving end of what you have. Without jumping to any conclusions about your driving, I'd probably need to sit with you in your car to see if your reactions may have triggered something. Actually I've lived in those countries too, not just travelled there (admittedly not as long as in Thailand but still) and while I've seen my fair share of accidents especially in Vietnam, nothing compares to the scale of what I see here almost everyday.

I would report the incident. Don't let fear of racism or whatever get the better of you. Who says he would know where you live. You report it, see what happens and take it from there (and don't reveal your address if you don't want to). Not sure if it would be of any help, even though you did suffer minor property damage, but you can always try.

I once reported an incident where I guy I knew stole my laptop and the condo banned him from ever coming there again, with his picture up on the wall at the front gate. Not that I was able to get my laptop back, but the good news is 1) it was brand new so I lost very few files and 2) my insurance company paid me the full value of the laptop for a replacement.

Thanks for the encouragement. Today was the worst. It honestly rattled me. I've lived in Indonesia and China as well and though driving isn't perfect I didn't experience any aggressive behaviour in either of those countries. Honestly not sure what the difference is but I'd love to figure it out so I can have a more peaceful commute when I do leave the house.

I am getting the impression that here ? = ✌

bull poop

Not sure if you are trying to wind me up or if you have some particular issue with what I posted. Would you like to see the video or pictures of the damage on my car?

I did use my horn as he overtook me between myself and an on coming car as I hit my brakes to save his life and my wallet. He then stopped and I went around him to leave. He followed me for half a km before he got in front at a T intersection where he dismounted and came at me with the rock. I reversed away and he waited for me at the intersection with a hunk of lumber. I backed up took another route. Hid in a deadend for ten minutes and then went home by a very circuitous route.

Advice in Indonesia and China was to never go to the police as it just makes things worse. My job has a security guy who used to be a cop here but we're on vacation till after the first. Think I should run this by him as well.

The part I hate is when I am waiting in line for 10 minutes to make a turn and some rude SO8 try's to cut in front of the entire line. I do everything possible including blowing my horn to stop them. Same thing happens at U turns when people block non turning lines to turn and hold up all the cars behind them, just rude !!!

Rules ... Hahaha

Dog eat dog !!!

bull poop
Not sure if you are trying to wind me up or if you have some particular issue with what I posted. Would you like to see the video or pictures of the damage on my car?
Yesthewhole dash cam

So if somebody is about to hit your car because of inattention, you'd rather have him damage your car than sound your horn?

Yes I would have dash and side cameras would prove other cars fault and that's why I pay for 1st class insurance. When all said and done a car is plastic and metal you and me are flesh and blood so in answer to your question yes I'd let it hit my car every time

I. Beep my horn when ever required. Never

Had any problems. Usually couple short brief bursts just for warning or to get attention. But I have been a passenger in a friends vehicle where he has not agreed with the manner in which someone is driving and launched a long seems like excessively so that has made me feel embarrassed to be there. Perhaps because it was an overreaction but that could certainly lead to a very angry reaction.

The part I hate is when I am waiting in line for 10 minutes to make a turn and some rude SO8 try's to cut in front of the entire line. I do everything possible including blowing my horn to stop them. Same thing happens at U turns when people block non turning lines to turn and hold up all the cars behind them, just rude !!!

Rules ... Hahaha

Dog eat dog !!!

It certainly is. I have to admit I occasionally partake in that behavior too. If you can't beat them, join em. Having said that, I only partake in this behavior in rare circumstances where I'm in a particular rush (probably 1 out of 200-300 times I have to go somewhere), but not to the point where I would endanger myself or other road users. One of the big issues quite often is not that someone deliberately cuts you off to do a u-turn for example, but they didn't get in line in time and don't want to travel another 5km to go to the next u-turn. You know how it is in Thailand, too few roads, all of them highways and almost no alternative roads. So everyone is stuck on the same congested roads.

I would only ever consider beeping my horn if someone undertaking said maneuver almost crashes into my vehicle. Otherwise I either let it be or pull up to prevent them from doing so.

I. Beep my horn when ever required. Never

Had any problems. Usually couple short brief bursts just for warning or to get attention. But I have been a passenger in a friends vehicle where he has not agreed with the manner in which someone is driving and launched a long seems like excessively so that has made me feel embarrassed to be there. Perhaps because it was an overreaction but that could certainly lead to a very angry reaction.

Same here. There is very rarely a need to beep your horn for longer than a cursory second or two anyway. If there is, then you know something's seriously wrong.

And let's face it, if someone has time for a long blast on the horn, then it is highly likely that they had plenty of time to react to the situation. The horn is a warning device. It shouldn't be used to vent your frustration. If someone is frustrated and driving then that is a dangerous situation. Someone in such a state should take a break.

Do agree though about those people blocking non turning lanes at u turns as being rude and selfish though. Oh well just go with the flow or in that case the lack of.