Freight train carrying sulphuric acid derails in Queensland, Australia

webfact

Freight train carrying sulphuric acid derails in Queensland, Australia

(BBC)An exclusion zone is in place after a 26-carriage freight train carrying approximately 200,000 litres of sulphuric acid derailed in Australia.

The accident happened at 10:20 Sunday morning, 20km (12.4 miles) east of Julia Creek in north-west Queensland.

Three train staff are in hospital with minor injuries. The site was quickly declared an emergency and the 2km exclusion zone was imposed.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35188125

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-28

Can only happen in Thailand, I blame the lack of education, the uncaring attitude, the corruption, Thaksin, Thai Police and Immigration officers, Amulets, the staff of my local HomePro and the carelessness of the Thai population in general, this sort of thing could not and would not happen in a Western Country.

Rant Over.

Can only happen in Thailand, I blame the lack of education, the uncaring attitude, the corruption, Thaksin, Thai Police and Immigration officers, Amulets, the staff of my local HomePro and the carelessness of the Thai population in general, this sort of thing could not and would not happen in a Western Country.

Rant Over.

I missed your sarcasm at first.

Fact is that corrupt police, uncaring attitudes and lack of education are a factor in so many things bad in Thailand, but probably not a factor in Western accidents.

Accidents do happen.

Perhaps this train derailment was due to the staff at the local Hungry Jacks? Do you think?

Julia Gillard is to blame for all of this. whistling.gif

Not too far off the mark...the Labor government in Queensland privatised the heavy freight rail industry and maintenance went downhill ever since. This isn't the first derailment on that stretch of line and won't be the last.

Having said that there is bugger all there to be concerned about.

Rant Over.

I missed your sarcasm at first.

Fact is that corrupt police, uncaring attitudes and lack of education are a factor in so many things bad in Thailand, but probably not a factor in Western accidents.

Accidents do happen.

Perhaps this train derailment was due to the staff at the local Hungry Jacks? Do you think?

By "Western", hope you mean those countries that are somewhat at similar levels of development as Thailand like Albania, Moldova, Armenia, etc. Apples to apples comparison.

That's very good news for Mount Isa little town.

At least they will have some clear air for some time .

Probably train was heading to smelter in Mt. Isa .

I was there working on the contract 10 km near Mt. Isa.....When the smelter works then cloud is covering whole town and surrounding areas on many kilometers.

That's a combination of smoke and steam of acid gasses when inhaled you can't take a breath without pain in lungs....

They stop smelter only when wind blows directly to the center of town .

Center of the town is just less then 1 km from mine and smelter...... and on top of the story just imagine that most of the year temperature in this region is 35 up to 50 deg.sad.png

Officials said 2 years ago that this chimney will be fixed in 3-5 years time but everyone knows that this mine will be close in the same time ...hence just they taking side of mine not local people.

Another thing is that if mine will be close or even partly close then simply not much business for local people ...

That's a little story about clean air in Australia where only money is important ... not the people .

coffee1.gif