Can't Re-start Lenovo S200, Any Ideas?

Renrut

First of all I should point out that I'm computer illiterate and any suggestions will need to be in very basic language!

The computer has always been slow to react to input from the touchpad and today I was unable to scroll down the page using the up/down arrows, only the slider at the right of the page would work. I tried a restart but after the "shutting down" page showed the computer started making a high-pitched barely-pulsing tone so I shut it down using the on/off switch.

When switching on again after 10 minutes or so the black and white "Lenovo" page appeared and immediately was replaced by a black screen showing only a pulsing underscore at the top left accompanied by the continuous slightly-pulsing tone again. Nothing happened after that so I switched off at the on/off button again.

Can anyone suggest what has happened and if there is a procedure to follow to get it working again?

I am using my Blackberry to post this using the same True wi-fi source and, strangely, the phone is also reacting slowly - it takes a second for the screen to show the typed letters. I've never noticed this phenomenon on the phone before so I don't know if it's just a coincidence or whether it's relevant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the phone is also reacting slowly - it takes a second for the screen to show the typed letters.

This is probably a problem with the forum otherwise you would need a ghost-buster.

From your description there is little hope to get it on the feet.

Better show it to a repair shop.

---

To make sure its fully powered off: can you remove the battery (at this model)?

Remove battery, un-plug AC adapter, wait a minute.

Reconnect AC adapter.

Do you know how to get to the BIOS? (pressing a specific key after powering on)

Also you could try pressing F8 after power on (guess its a Windows system)?

But for computer illiterate? -> repair shop

time to replace and restore your backup.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

@Crossy has a subtle kind of humor and a foreshadowing.

If you have no idea what a backup is, you don't have one.

All your data/files/documents/pictures/videos (if any relevant) will be lost.

SEE a repair shop.

Edited by KhunBENQ

@Crossy has a subtle kind of humor and a foreshadowing.

Sorry, it's my standard response to an obviously failed drive.

To our OP, get the drive replaced and get your old drive back, I hope you made a Windows rescue disk or have the original CD or you'll get a hooky copy of Windows (you may get a hooky copy even if you have original media).

Put it in an external drive case and give it a good solid thump on the desk, if it does spin up (you will hear it) copy all your data off then bin the drive.