Popular French restaurant hit by car bomb in Kabul

rooster59

Popular French restaurant hit by car bomb in Kabul

post-247607-0-97976300-1451691553_thumb.

A suspected car bomb targeting a French restaurant has exploded in downtown Kabul.

Le Jardin is popular with diplomats, aid workers and journalists.

Authorities say five people have been injured in the blast.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack and said a number of people have been killed or injured.

The restaurant is situated in the heart of the central district the site of government buildings and embassies.

The eatery is known as a haven in Kabul with good food and discreet, but tight security.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-02

Why why why would an intelligent human being even venture into a public restaurant anywhere in Afghanistan?

Because we need to eat. Pretty simple really. Those of us who work in or know about working in fragile and conflict states make continuous decisions about security based on intelligence, experience and resources. Restaurants such as Le Jardin will have a rating from international agencies based on the level of security provided. It is up to the individual to assess the risks of movement in a particular situation. Statistically, I would be more likely to die in a car accident in Thailand than from a Taliban bombing of a French restaurant in Kabul. I may check it out when I am back there in a few weeks since now that it has been bombed, it might be ok to eat there for a while. And getting a good steak in Kabul is impossible.

Generally if someone is sensible about security in a place like Kabul and does not take un-necessary risks, then the issue comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, much like life. That does not prevent some of us from working there and similar countries.

Why why why would an intelligent human being even venture into a public restaurant anywhere in Afghanistan?

Because we need to eat. Pretty simple really. Those of us who work in or know about working in fragile and conflict states make continuous decisions about security based on intelligence, experience and resources. Restaurants such as Le Jardin will have a rating from international agencies based on the level of security provided. It is up to the individual to assess the risks of movement in a particular situation. Statistically, I would be more likely to die in a car accident in Thailand than from a Taliban bombing of a French restaurant in Kabul. I may check it out when I am back there in a few weeks since now that it has been bombed, it might be ok to eat there for a while. And getting a good steak in Kabul is impossible.

Generally if someone is sensible about security in a place like Kabul and does not take un-necessary risks, then the issue comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, much like life. That does not prevent some of us from working there and similar countries.

That wall of text was basically wasted on me I'm afraid. My point was that it isn't worth the risk. Period. I would be eating beans from a can 3 times a day before I would venture anywhere in public to eat at a restaurant in Kabul. Why not just hang a neon sign around your neck saying "kill me"?