Surin denies contesting for Democrat party leadership

rooster59

Surin denies contesting for Democrat party leadership

image1-wpcf_728x410.jpeg

BANGKOK: Former secretary general of ASEAN Surin Pitsuwan yesterday denied report that he would contest for the Democrat party leadership.
It was just a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of his interview by the news media in a question on political situation, he said.

He said there was no mentioning of what the media reported.

Instead he said it was still untimely to discuss the issue as the charter and organic laws remain inconclusive.

He also refused to say exactly if he would contest for the party leadership when the term of the present executive committee will expire December 2018.

It was untimely to speak right now, Surin said.

Meanwhile the party’s secretary general Juti Krairuek said Mr Apisit Vejjajiva has performed well as party leader and there was no point to hold him responsible for any underperformance.

Mr Abhisit still has the term in office until December 2018, he said, adding that the military junta’s order banning political meetings and activities still is in force and therefore there was no session to make any change.

Democrat deputy party leader Nipit intarasombat said Mr Abhisit has been informed of the news report but had non exact details.

But initially he has replied to questions asked by people about the matter and told them it was good to have a candidate for the party leadership, Mr Nipit said and dismissed any suggestion this was a sign of internal conflict in the party.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/surin-denies-contesting-for-democrat-party-leadership

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-02

Meanwhile the party’s secretary general Juti Krairuek said Mr Apisit Vejjajiva has performed well as party leader and there was no point to hold him responsible for any underperformance.

delusional, ...

unless he is subtly restating that the Democratic Party, formed by Royalists after the 1932 revolution, doesn't aim to lead in a democracy... whistling.gif

What a shame.

I personally would like to see Thailand under the leadership of Surin Pitsuwan and Korn Chatikavanij !!

Not sure that Surin will be available, since he at the present is COB of Amata Vietnam...............

"there was no point to hold him [Abhisit] responsible for any underperformance."

Implies that Abhisit has underperformed and it is only due to current junta political ban that nothing can be done about it. I don't think Surin has counted himself out.

"It was just a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of his interview by the news media in a question on political situation, he said."

Sounds like Prayut, or Hillary or.......Hillary talking about Benghazi or... any politician moving his lips.

I recall Billary back in 2005 or 6 saying "No no no no...I have no aspirations to run for president".

Same same but different.

--------------

From the precious little I have heard about K. Surin ( I say K. Surin so as not to confuse it with the province), he seems to be a bit more articulate and intelligent than the current bull in the China shop.

He is way too well qualified and competent to get the backing of the democrat party for leadership. He would show up the rest of them too much. They are happier with someone more malleable I believe.

Waste of time anyway because:

The PTP will still trounce them in an election and:

Every decision made by government will have to be rubber-stamped by an authority approved by the amart.

Edited by jesimps

If anything this just shows how irrelevant any political party is with a dictatorship promoting happiness to 68 million poor people who's new year wish is to earn another twenty thousand Baht a month , the Junta are not about to vacate totalitarian government till at the least till mid 2017 and if the happiness doesn't improve it may very well be 2019. so any talk is premature until the Prayut - - O real estate vacant sign goes up, Probably the best that can be said at this stage is----------- Happy new year everyone and lets hope Thailand has a progressive year 2016.................................................coffee1.gif

If anything this just shows how irrelevant any political party is with a dictatorship promoting happiness to 68 million poor people who's new year wish is to earn another twenty thousand Baht a month , the Junta are not about to vacate totalitarian government till at the least till mid 2017 and if the happiness doesn't improve it may very well be 2019. so any talk is premature until the Prayut - - O real estate vacant sign goes up, Probably the best that can be said at this stage is----------- Happy new year everyone and lets hope Thailand has a progressive year 2016.................................................coffee1.gif

Are you seriously suggesting that Thailand doesn't have a vibrant middle class?

Shame as he actually seems like a progressive thinker. Better than any of the other options (well, potential options) around right now.

Agree.

I have met Dr. Surin several times. He's well respected in a very broad and worldly sense, he has strong business understanding, he speaks like a visionary, he approaches things big picture long-term and with focus.

His main concern / thrust is what would be good for all Thais and he's passionate about human rights and civil society.

He's quite humble, he has presence, he speaks impeccable English and he's a very capable but polite debater.

Edited by scorecard

Shame as he actually seems like a progressive thinker. Better than any of the other options (well, potential options) around right now.

Agree.

I have met Dr. Surin several times. He's well respected in a very broad and worldly sense, he has strong business understanding, he speaks like a visionary, he approaches things big picture long-term and with focus.

His main concern / thrust is what would be good for all Thais and he's passionate about human rights and civil society.

He's quite humble, he has presence, he speaks impeccable English and he's a very capable but polite debater.

If a bunch of like minded people got together then perhaps some meaningful change, which truly is for the betterment of the general populace, could actually happen,

He is way too well qualified and competent to get the backing of the democrat party for leadership. He would show up the rest of them too much. They are happier with someone more malleable I believe.

Waste of time anyway because:

The PTP will still trounce them in an election and:

Every decision made by government will have to be rubber-stamped by an authority approved by the amart.

Is that a bit like 'thaksin decides / ptp does' (meaning the faceless gagged salaried ptpt puppets who are along for the ride and their chance, when their chain is tugged, to see 10 minutes at the trough?