UK Visa for Thai wife

My wife was with me living in the UK for 10+ years. She had leave to remain indefinately. We moved back to Thailand 5-years ago. We are now planning a holiday in the UK later in the year.

Can anyone tell be if she requires a new Visa or would her leave to remain still be active.

Thank you

Forgot to add we have a daughter with dual nationality. Don't know if that would make any difference.

Edited by dvdlock

Forgot to add we have a daughter with dual nationality. Don't know if that would make any difference.

Your wife is back to square one and a visit visa application it is.

Your daughter is obviously free to come and go as she pleases but your daughter's status doesn't really add any weight to anything visa related for your wife.

I hate to ask and I've tried to resist, but I can't. Why didn't your wife apply for citizenship and subsequent British passport when the government were offering them on silver platters? Okay, bit of an exaggeration, but back in the day in comparison to now ...

Edited by wooloomooloo

after a continuous break of two years away I believe it expires

You believe correctly.

Even if an ILR holder makes regular visits to the UK within that two years, when it becomes apparent to UK Border Force at a port of entry that the person seeking entry to the UK is no longer a UK resident and merely using their ILR for visits then their ILR will be cancelled on the spot.

Though they will be allowed in on that occasion as a visitor.

dvdlock, see Standard visitor visa for what is required and how to apply.

You may also find UK visit visa basics helpful; although it does need some updating the essentials haven't changed.

Hi,

Many thanks for the responses and advice. Very helpful.

Actually my wife was in the process of applying for UK citizenship but to be honest that citizenship test was putting her off. If I remember the book she had to study from was something like 'Living and working in the UK' and it was a hard slog. She kept trying the on-line test simulation but couldn't make headway and didn't want to apply without being confident of passing. Looking back she should have just gone for it. To be fair, I tried the test myself a couple of times and failed (shameful).

Then time just passes by without realising and by the time we decided to uproot and come to Thailand is was too late.

7By7

Interesting read and thanks for the helpful links to your other posts.

Thanks again.

Edited by dvdlock