Why haven't prices changed much in Pattaya?

Hal65

3800 Baht a week grocery shopping for 3??

Man you guys are living high on the hog.That

is what I call EATING...

I really don't know if you are being sarcastic but for 2 of us we average 500 baht/day for food, sometimes considerably less but we enjoy good food so sometimes considerably more. This is grocery bill, not eating out.

Convenient of you to forget the huge duties applied to imported products which most of the quality ingredients at a good restaurant here are, and I won't start at the excise/taxes on alcohol, swings and roundabouts. As to health and hygiene you get what you pay for, the kitchen of the restaurant I was in is actually glass fronted so you can see what's happening. You stick to your re-heated or kept warm for 4 hour buffets for 500฿ and I will stick with my restaurants.

Thought we were talking about food, not alcohol.

I suspect that regardless of price much of what is on your plate at any restaurant here will have come from Makro, with just a very few ingredients being sourced from elsewhere.

As for the Hilton buffet, if you had ever been there with your eyes open you would know that they only display quite small quantities which are promptly replaced with fresh as needed. And quite a lot of the hot dishes there are actually cooked to order at the cooking stations. Other hotels do things in a similar way.

Food Prices Have Doubled...

I was paying 30 Baht for a bowl of Thai food on rice in the market

10 years ago now I pay 35-40 Baht...

10 years ago a whole roasted chicken was 110-120 Baht now a

whole roasted chicken cost 150-160 Baht...

10 years ago I think a kebob was 50 baht now 60 Baht...

Food prices have double ?? I do not think so....

So, it's off the kebobery to save a few satang and erode inflation!!

I'd be inclined to agree with the rapid escalation of food prices but not 100%

Overall, the average weekly shopping bill for the 3 of us has gone from TB2,800 in 2014 to TB3.800 with the noticeable increase in Q1-2 of 2015

Take to day, a trip to the largest Big G (geriatric) in Pattaya saw the price of a pack of Apple Jass (NZ apples in a pack of 8) pre-yultide was TB89 today only 109 discounted from 149!!!

is what I call EATING...

Here we do (2 of us) on average Bt.6500 per week but that includes all cleaning and toiletry stuff as well.

Bt.4000 will be meat (Steak/Sausages/mince (for humans and dogs)/Chicken etc etc) though.

I only shop at Foodland but I do eat well.

Edited by Don Mega

Convenient of you to forget the huge duties applied to imported products which most of the quality ingredients at a good restaurant here are, and I won't start at the excise/taxes on alcohol, swings and roundabouts. As to health and hygiene you get what you pay for, the kitchen of the restaurant I was in is actually glass fronted so you can see what's happening. You stick to your re-heated or kept warm for 4 hour buffets for 500฿ and I will stick with my restaurants.

Thought we were talking about food, not alcohol.

I suspect that regardless of price much of what is on your plate at any restaurant here will have come from Makro, with just a very few ingredients being sourced from elsewhere.

As for the Hilton buffet, if you had ever been there with your eyes open you would know that they only display quite small quantities which are promptly replaced with fresh as needed. And quite a lot of the hot dishes there are actually cooked to order at the cooking stations. Other hotels do things in a similar way.

Whoops how silly of me I seem to have left it open for you to name drop and low and behold..................

But your portions are so much smaller!

Yes, restaurant prices have increased a lot. Jumps of 20% at a time are not uncommon. I see no obvious reason why this should be as street food prices have increased much less, as mentioned (though they have also increased and portions have got smaller). Eventually restaurants here may price themselves out of existence. Many already charge more than they would in Europe. There are still bargains to be had, of course, but you have to know about them to benefit from them and most tourists probably dont know

I disagree having just had my 50th Birthday with celebratory meals of equal and good quality in both the UK and Pattaya the restaurant here was only about 60% of UK prices. Where in the UK could you get 300g of Wagyu beef ribeye for £20 to name just one item. I agree a hell of a lot of the local cheap charlies would have a coronary at 1000฿ for a steak but in comparison with like for like places in the UK it's far cheaper here.

You clearly do not understand.

The Thai minimum wage is 300baht/day, whereas in the UK it is more than 300baht equivalent an hour!

So your 60% of UK prices for good restaurant food is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

You forgot there is that thing in the UK called tax which a lot of Thais on minimum wage do not pay

But your portions are so much smaller!

They certainly can be.

There's a new boat noodle shop recently opened on 3rd Road not far from Tony's. They have a big sign outside saying "15B". I like boat noodles so I thought I would try it. When you sit down you quickly realise that there are two prices: 15B and 30B. So I went for the 30B one with a view to getting a more interesting soup. In fact my 30B soup was itself quite small and uninteresting.

The stall I generally go to for noodle soup charges 50B for a seafood/pork version which is very tasty and filling, but that also went up suddenly from 40B a year or two ago. A few years previously it had been 30B. I would not be surprised if it went to 60B soon as that lady does maintain the portion sizes.

Well its has increased in the past 12 years I have been here.

All vehicle fuels are higher.

Minimum wages for Thai workers went tip 3 years ago. All alcohol has been taxed higher twice in that periods of time.

Most imported foods are a lot higher then they were in the past. local meats and vegetables are more expensive do to fuel increases alone.

I have no idea what your mate is talking about, all of the above mentioned items are at a higher rate then Thailand inflation

So, it's off the kebobery to save a few satang and erode inflation!!

I'd be inclined to agree with the rapid escalation of food prices but not 100%

Overall, the average weekly shopping bill for the 3 of us has gone from TB2,800 in 2014 to TB3.800 with the noticeable increase in Q1-2 of 2015

Take to day, a trip to the largest Big G (geriatric) in Pattaya saw the price of a pack of Apple Jass (NZ apples in a pack of 8) pre-yultide was TB89 today only 109 discounted from 149!!!

is what I call EATING...

I don't think thats out the way, cook all my own food at home spend around B1200 for just myself, don't really keep a record, but a nice steak will set you back B300 once a week maybe, 2 meals a day @B50 each is B700, if you buy decent bacon/cheese/fish soon mounts up

I am not going to live here and eat rice and noddles everyday I live like I would in the UK

Thinking about it more like B2000 a week

You forgot there is that thing in the UK called tax which a lot of Thais on minimum wage do not pay

People in the UK on low wages dont pay it either. In fact some of them will be getting benefits as well.

They should get a job and no benefits. Many are claiming them and working on the side

You don't do your shopping in Big C or Tesco then.

Minimum wages for Thai workers went tip 3 years ago. All alcohol has been taxed higher twice in that periods of time.

Most imported foods are a lot higher then they were in the past. local meats and vegetables are more expensive do to fuel increases alone.

I have no idea what your mate is talking about, all of the above mentioned items are at a higher rate then Thailand inflation

Increases cannot be denied but you have to put things in perspective.

Vehicle fuel is related to the price of oil, hardly a valid point. 15 years ago petrol was about 13/14 a litre, been up to over 40 and back down to 20 odd. Come down in price in the last 2 years.

Imports are also subject to external influence. If a tin of beans has doubled in price in the UK over the last 10 years it can hardly be expected to remain the same here. More likely to be double plus a bit.

The most significant increases are in the hotels and businesses that are required to meet the minimum wage. There are quite a few family run places on Soi Bukhow where the prices haven't changed since they opened several years ago.

Food on the street and Thai kitchens is up some but nothing to complain about. I suppose that up from 40 to 50 baht being 25% may seem exhorbitant to some. Last week I bought a tray of No1 eggs(30) for 81 baht, six months ago they were high nineties, could be taken as a negative increase.

When I first came to Pattaya in 1999 beer was 60 baht in most places. These days there are many bars around Pattaya where small bottles go for 45/50 and large bottles can be had for 65/75. I used to pop into Paddy's bar on Pattaya Klang before getting the bus home, during the day you could get a Chang for 30 baht until quite recently. Went a couple of weeks ago and seems to have changed hands and the prices had gone up, that's inflation for you.

Yes, restaurant prices have increased a lot. Jumps of 20% at a time are not uncommon. I see no obvious reason why this should be as street food prices have increased much less, as mentioned (though they have also increased and portions have got smaller). Eventually restaurants here may price themselves out of existence. Many already charge more than they would in Europe. There are still bargains to be had, of course, but you have to know about them to benefit from them and most tourists probably dont know

I disagree having just had my 50th Birthday with celebratory meals of equal and good quality in both the UK and Pattaya the restaurant here was only about 60% of UK prices. Where in the UK could you get 300g of Wagyu beef ribeye for £20 to name just one item. I agree a hell of a lot of the local cheap charlies would have a coronary at 1000฿ for a steak but in comparison with like for like places in the UK it's far cheaper here.

You clearly do not understand.

The Thai minimum wage is 300baht/day, whereas in the UK it is more than 300baht equivalent an hour!

So your 60% of UK prices for good restaurant food is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

This 300 Baht minimum wage thing is so annoying......that's minimum wage!!!....most are on at least 450 or more and some with free meals and accommodation thrown in.

Increases cannot be denied but you have to put things in perspective.

Vehicle fuel is related to the price of oil, hardly a valid point. 15 years ago petrol was about 13/14 a litre, been up to over 40 and back down to 20 odd. Come down in price in the last 2 years.

Imports are also subject to external influence. If a tin of beans has doubled in price in the UK over the last 10 years it can hardly be expected to remain the same here. More likely to be double plus a bit.

The most significant increases are in the hotels and businesses that are required to meet the minimum wage. There are quite a few family run places on Soi Bukhow where the prices haven't changed since they opened several years ago.

Food on the street and Thai kitchens is up some but nothing to complain about. I suppose that up from 40 to 50 baht being 25% may seem exhorbitant to some. Last week I bought a tray of No1 eggs(30) for 81 baht, six months ago they were high nineties, could be taken as a negative increase.

When I first came to Pattaya in 1999 beer was 60 baht in most places. These days there are many bars around Pattaya where small bottles go for 45/50 and large bottles can be had for 65/75. I used to pop into Paddy's bar on Pattaya Klang before getting the bus home, during the day you could get a Chang for 30 baht until quite recently. Went a couple of weeks ago and seems to have changed hands and the prices had gone up, that's inflation for you.

THANKS for supporting my point.....Prices have changed!