Netflix - streaming from outside Thailand

phetphet

I would be interested in Netflix in Thailand...BUT, and heres the big but, presumably Netflix works only as good as the strength of the internet signal. now I have "ILikehdtv" for sports purposes, and despite paying for fiber optic etc to TOT, I still dont get a real flow of images, I get stuttering nearly all the time.

If Netflix would be the same, no point in having it, might as well stick to downloads etc which obviously play properly all the time.

That mighy not be the fault of TOT but rather the terrible service quality of ilikehd.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just signed on to the new Netflix TH for a 1 month 350 trial account. You need to give a CC or Paypal account to start the trial for one month free then automatic billing from the CC or Paypal. Can cancel anytime. HD service is extra as is more than 2 devices.

I will give this a fair try for the one month free and compare to the Iflix account that I also signed up for. The Iflix streams extremely well for me here in Bang Chang on TOT fiber. No buffering so I expect Netflix to be that good as well. At this point the content available from either one will be the factor on what I keep.

No idea about the workings of the internet..... mostly I watch IPTV without any problems, but everyday is the same 17:40 - 18:00 and again 21:40 - 22:00 will stop and start a lot, rest of the time no problems and is perfect... [never tried a VPN on IPTV]

There again reported by me and others over the years, this site Thaivisa.com on a few odd days every month it is impossible to load, yet switch on VPN to Singapore open instantly.. you just learn it is best to have other options, not to rely just on one thing here..

eg: yesterday went to watch BBC1 where I normally watch said 'cannot open this link' switched to a different addon and BBC1 played perfect straight away..

Happy days.

Cancelled my Netflix membership last month when I arrived in Thailand having used it in Brazil for the past couple of years. Just signed back up and it works fine. Netflix site had retained my details and even continues to give me subtitles in Portuguese !

Interesting article on #NetflixEverywhere via TechCrunch, written by someone living in Thailand

TechCrunch | Jon Russell | 01 JAN 2016
Netflix’s original content — which it is ploughing billions of dollars into — is available worldwide, but the exact catalog for users varies based on their country. That’s because licensing deals are different from market to market, and Netflix also curates its content based on what it thinks locals will like.
That can be pretty frustrating, particularly since Netflix regularly pulls popular programming to keep its content fresh. But, in actual fact, the global expansion has literally opened a whole new world of opportunity for Netflix users — if you’re prepared to invest a little money on some special software.
If you buy in a VPN — software that allows you to access the Internet while appearing to be in another country — then Netflix’s differing global catalog is an invitation to sample a range of programming beyond what is available where you live.
For example, in Thailand, where I am based, the local catalog doesn’t include some blockbuster content from the U.S. and UK. Having a VPN allows me to jump that barrier by making Netflix think I am in the U.S.. That gives me access to content that nobody in Thailand can view on the service.

Signed up today.. At B420 for their best package, There is no downside risk... Watched this http://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=80025172&jbp=0&jbr=0 no buffering at all..

The content is not exactly the same as the US due to licensing agreements that still need to be finalized.

I don't see any 4K content listed.. Too bad as I have a 4K TV..

LG still has not upgraded my TV with the Netflix App but I can use the browser. My other 3 TV's all have Chromecast so they are good to go.

I just posted a big reply in the other thread, but it got locked :(

Someone was asking: Does it support 4K?

The answer is yes, but first you need to go into your Your Account > Playback Settings and select the "High" option.

Next, you need to find 4K content - a search for "4K" will do the trick ;)

Then you have to hope that your connection speed is good enough - if it's not the High setting will still fall back to 1080P.

If your connection isn't fast enough, but you still want to see 4K, while playing in your browser press: CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S (on a Mac - not sure if it's the same for WIndows), then select only the highest bitrate you see, and click the override button. Now you can sit back and watch as your modem gets crushed by it :P

Note: 1080P and higher is only supported in Safari, Explorer and Edge browsers. Chrome and Firefox max out at 720P no matter what you do.

Interesting article on #NetflixEverywhere via TechCrunch, written by someone living in Thailand

Now That Netflix Is Global, You Should Go Buy A VPN

TechCrunch | Jon Russell | 01 JAN 2016

Netflixs original content which it is ploughing billions of dollars into is available worldwide, but the exact catalog for users varies based on their country. Thats because licensing deals are different from market to market, and Netflix also curates its content based on what it thinks locals will like.

That can be pretty frustrating, particularly since Netflix regularly pulls popular programming to keep its content fresh. But, in actual fact, the global expansion has literally opened a whole new world of opportunity for Netflix users if youre prepared to invest a little money on some special software.

If you buy in a VPN software that allows you to access the Internet while appearing to be in another country then Netflixs differing global catalog is an invitation to sample a range of programming beyond what is available where you live.

For example, in Thailand, where I am based, the local catalog doesnt include some blockbuster content from the U.S. and UK. Having a VPN allows me to jump that barrier by making Netflix think I am in the U.S.. That gives me access to content that nobody in Thailand can view on the service.

Unotelly also lets you select which Netflix region you want to watch. I'll certainly keep using it for a while until it becomes clear how good the local selection is likely to be - it looks a little sparse right now.

yes, i was posting there but was redirected to this thread which has absolutely nothing to do with the legal use of netflix in thailand and the launch of the Netflix service in thailand and around the world.

i have requested clarification as to why the announcement of netflix thailands launch was locked but no coherent response was forthcoming.

I just posted a big reply in the other thread, but it got locked sad.png

The answer is yes, but first you need to go into your Your Account > Playback Settings and select the "High" option.

Next, you need to find 4K content - a search for "4K" will do the trick wink.png

Then you have to hope that your connection speed is good enough - if it's not the High setting will still fall back to 1080P.

If your connection isn't fast enough, but you still want to see 4K, while playing in your browser press: CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S (on a Mac - not sure if it's the same for WIndows), then select only the highest bitrate you see, and click the override button. Now you can sit back and watch as your modem gets crushed by it tongue.png

Note: 1080P and higher is only supported in Safari, Explorer and Edge browsers. Chrome and Firefox max out at 720P no matter what you do.

Thanks very much. A huge help.. I did notice that House Of cards is not listed...

I just posted a big reply in the other thread, but it got locked sad.png

Next, you need to find 4K content - a search for "4K" will do the trick wink.png

If your connection isn't fast enough, but you still want to see 4K, while playing in your browser press: CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S (on a Mac - not sure if it's the same for WIndows), then select only the highest bitrate you see, and click the override button. Now you can sit back and watch as your modem gets crushed by it tongue.png

Thanks very much. A huge help.. I did notice that House Of cards is not listed...

Probably because RTL/CBS on Truevisions licensed it around 2 years ago.

OK seeing as the other 2 topics on this subject have now been locked, I'm going to ask my question a third time :)

Q: Does anyone know of a tried and tested box/dongle that delivers at least 1080P streams on the new Thai service?

From what I understand, Netflix use different crypto keys for each region - so what works in other countries may not work here too.

Ideally, it'd be something that supports 4K on the Thai service too.

My UK Netflix account is now working in Thailand, nice. always streamed easily over the VPN but now no need for that. i have not had time too see if all the UK content is available wile not using the VPN though.

Sadly, a quick look suggests the answer is 'no'.

I have been using the US and UK Netflix service for a while. Just signed up for the free Thai trial.

A quick perusal shows me that there is far less content on the Thai service. If you are doing US and/or UK Netflix through VPN or DNS proxy, for now, you should just keep doing it that way.

I'm about midway through my free month trial with iflix (an Asian Netflix clone). They have a pretty good selection of movies and television. I've been using Netflix with VPN for the past year but with iflix only costing 1000 baht for a whole year I was considering getting it since the content has Thai subtitles for the girlfriend too. If anyone hasn't tried it they have a free month trial (no credit card) and while I wouldn't replace my Netflix with it (I like some of the Netflix original content) it is a good entertainment supplement.

Compared to the US, Thai content is disappointing. But using a Vpn the bandwidth is not enough for hd. So it's the amount of content against hd streaming. And the fee is higher than in the us. Those thinking about cancelling true might think again.

Edited by sniffdog

Compared to the US, Thai content is disappointing. But using a Vpn the bandwidth is not enough for hd. So it's the amount of content against hd streaming. And the fee is higher than in the us. Those thinking about cancelling true might think again.

VPN performance varies a lot - prior to the thai service, i was streaming netflix HD via UK VPN on a True 10Mb line without a problem (VPN set up on the router, using LAN cable to an Nvidia Shield box) or you can use DNS trickery which only affects your location info, rather than sending the full stream through a VPN.

My VPN includes a DNS service in which you can select most of the netflix regions, and so I read somewhere, the Dutch netflix region has the least amount of content blocked.

Nice to have direct access in Thailand, but I'll still use the VPN/DNS for the content that's missing, and to access others, such as bbc, itv etc etc

Incidentally, I tested the thai service this afternoon, and it was buffering quite a bit, though I suspect the servers have seen a big surge today

Been watching Netflix for months through my VPN. Just checked without VPN and can confirm, it now works in Thailand. all shows are exactly the same and I can even continue watching shows where I last left off. This is good news. I was going to get one of those boxes 5000 baht can watch any channel in the world including all sport channels, racing, movies etc. Was even surprised that even the latest cinema movies are available on these boxes. Anyone had any experience with these?

Been watching Netflix for months through my VPN. Just checked without VPN and can confirm, it now works in Thailand. all shows are exactly the same and I can even continue watching shows where I last left off. This is good news. I was going to get one of those boxes 5000 baht can watch any channel in the world including all sport channels, racing, movies etc. Was even surprised that even the latest cinema movies are available on these boxes. Anyone had any experience with these?

Are you sure all shows are the same? Even in the quick look I had I realised there was stuff missing compared to both the US and UK versions.

Watching now and might replace or reduce my torrent use, always disappointed with selection on other local alternatives.

Don't have comparision to check but one article suggested that the content variances sway both ways with some shows available here that aren't in the traditional markets.

OK seeing as the other 2 topics on this subject have now been locked, I'm going to ask my question a third time smile.png

Q: Does anyone know of a tried and tested box/dongle that delivers at least 1080P streams on the new Thai service?

From what I understand, Netflix use different crypto keys for each region - so what works in other countries may not work here too.

Ideally, it'd be something that supports 4K on the Thai service too.

Can't answer directly now, but I will be bringing either the new NVIDIA Shield Pro Tv 500GB box , or the Amazon Fire TV back with me in three weeks, both loaded with KODI etc. Could not find the Fire TV 4K jailbroken. Hopefully I will be able to let you know once up and running in Thailand.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/android-tv

and Amazon Fire TV Jailbroken KODI free sport, movies, kids, TV2

Edited by phetphet

Are you sure all shows are the same? Even in the quick look I had I realised there was stuff missing compared to both the US and UK versions.
555 no way ... it's only a fraction what you get from your US account and it's more expensive. Now watching but buffers every minute and poor quality. Not close to hd. I think I stick to downloading.

555 no way ... it's only a fraction what you get from your US account and it's more expensive. Now watching but buffers every minute and poor quality. Not close to hd. I think I stick to downloading.

Netflix streams perfectly no buffering and HD where I am in Bangkok. And no need to spend hours online and downloading dodgy copies of shows.

Yes in the daytime in was fine, but now .... 11pm ... nowhere near hd but I managed the buffering by putting it on Auto. But only sd. Btw with the last part of your remark .. you must be a real expert ... 555 .. if you think downloading shows on private torrents are dodgy, I assume you don't know the difference between hd and sd.

Edited by sniffdog