Robitussin DM.....works well

bangmai

My regular pharmacy was closed the other night, and I went to one at Jampha. He asked if it was a "dry cough," and it was, more from throat irritation; not congestion. He pulled out a bottle of Robitussin, which is pretty much the gold standard for cough syrups. I'm thinking it's American, must be expensive, and had been perfectly happy with the Thai GPO stuff, that was pretty cheap. small bottle; 60 ml....I'm thinking it's going to be 250-300 thb....nope..59 THB, or less than 1 thb per ml. That would be like paying 740 thb for a bottle of wine....I purchased...looked at the label...it is no longer AH Robbins; it's Pfizer...but...it's produced in BKK. So kind of like Tiger Beer....high quality world renown brand, but produced around BKK. I also got a pretty good buzz. So next time you have a dry, scratchy cough (or don't want to drink boxed wine); give it a try. And of course proceed with caution and read the instructions/warnings.

Edited by seedy
needless drug using comment

I find that 1oz of whiskey in 8 oz of hot water with liberal quantities of honey and lemon does the trick. At least you sleep well. And warm Vicks smeared all over your chest. Wow, I must be channeling my Mom. Thanks Mom! Lol

Edited by connda

Bought some the other day for my son in Central Festival. 80 Baht - and I had to sign a book and let the Pharmacist photocopy my ID as well. For Dextromethorphan? He said it was "antarai maak" and tightly controlled in Thailand. Couldn't believe it, so I searched when I got home and was surprised to read..."A 2008 study found that one in 10 teenagers has abused products with DXM to get high, making it more popular in that age group than cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, and meth. High doses can cause hallucinogenic trips -- and pose serious risks." News to me. Cough medicine was not popular when I was a teenager.

Bought some the other day for my son in Central Festival. 80 Baht - and I had to sign a book and let the Pharmacist photocopy my ID as well. For Dextromethorphan? He said it was "antarai maak" and tightly controlled in Thailand. Couldn't believe it, so I searched when I got home and was surprised to read..."A 2008 study found that one in 10 teenagers has abused products with DXM to get high, making it more popular in that age group than cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, and meth. High doses can cause hallucinogenic trips -- and pose serious risks." News to me. Cough medicine was not popular when I was a teenager.

Yeah, it wasn't until those guys in the medicine wagons started appearing that cough medicines finally started reaching a wider audience.

post-234579-0-33672800-1452139460_thumb.

I find that 1oz of whiskey in 8 oz of hot water with liberal quantities of honey and lemon does the trick. At least you sleep well. And warm Vicks smeared all over your chest. Wow, I must be channeling my Mom. Thanks Mom! Lol

AKA Whisky Toddy. Does the trick every time!

Update: I spoke with the regular pharmacist, and she showed me the pill form. "Noratussin," If you tookk 2 tablets vs. 2 teaspoons of the 60 ml (described above). you would get 30 mg of DM per dose, instead of 20, but would have only five doses instead of six with the liquid, but she said take one every four hours. 30 THB for 10 tablets.

I prefer the brandy option, but I use warm milk, honey and brandy.

Not had a cold for a few years luckily. I will get the sniffles for half a day and then it goes. I guess I've already had the current strains that are being passed around Chiang Mai.