American charged in bombing attack on US base in Afghanistan

webfact

American charged in bombing attack on US base in Afghanistan
TOM HAYS, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — A U.S. citizen already accused of going to Pakistan to train with al-Qaida was charged Wednesday with helping build explosives for a 2009 suicide attack on an American military base in Afghanistan.

A revised indictment charges Muhanad Mahmoud Al Farekh with conspiracy to murder U.S. nationals, conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction and other crimes. He is to appear Thursday in federal court in Brooklyn; there was no immediate comment by his lawyer.

The charges stem from an attack on Jan. 19, 2009, involving two vehicles driven by unidentified suicide bombers that were rigged with explosives, the new indictment says. Only one of the bombs detonated. Al Farekh's fingerprints were later found on packing tape used on the second explosive, the indictment says.

The court papers didn't identify the base or detail the damage. News accounts from the same 2009 date cited in court papers described a dual-car bomb attack at Forward Operating Base Chapman in Khost City, near the border with Pakistan, which killed one Afghan and wounded several others, but harmed no Americans.

The 30-year-old Al Farekh, who was born in Texas, "allegedly turned his back on our country and tried to kill U.S. soldiers in the course of executing their sworn duty to keep us safe," Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Robert Capers said in a statement.

Al Farekh was brought from Pakistan to the United States in April to face initial charges of providing material support to terrorists. Federal authorities alleged he and two other students at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada, started watching al-Qaida propaganda and hatching a plan to become martyrs abroad.

The three flew to Karachi, Pakistan, on round-trip tickets in March 2007 after selling their belongings, disconnecting their phones and buying mountain boots commonly worn by al-Qaida fighters in Pakistan and Afghanistan, authorities said.

Prosecutors said one of Al Farekh's co-conspirators trained three men on how to use AK-47s and other weapons at an al-Qaida training camp in 2008, the complaint says. The three — Najibullah Zazi, Zarein Ahmedzay and Adis Medunjanin — were later convicted of plotting to bomb New York City's subway system and are cooperating with federal authorities.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-07

I get the feeling that even the writer of this report holds some scepticism around the charges and evidence.

Id say the writer does not have enough information to reach any conclusion.

And he's not. Nor am I.

But, boots?

And news reports from the time that don't agree (or exactly disagree) with how the fingerprints were obtained?

The key word from my post was "scepticism.

Why do we(& the Americans)even waste time with these people?

Anyone who bites the hand that feeds them are ungrateful bastards & should be given an immediate lead injection.

Problem solved.

He is as American as you. Born and bred.

Did you even read my post?

l never said that he wasn't.

He did bite the hand that fed him, don't you think?

FYI, I am not American.

The mental health of US soldiers is in need of some serious assessment...

It is amazing to me that there are not more of these soldiers turning on their own units...their minds are screwed up IMHO...

Case in point:

“Every day, approximately 22 American veterans commit suicide, totaling over 8,000 veteran suicides each year!"
With approximately 8,000 vets taking the suicide route to cope with their mental illness...is it any wonder that some of them want to take a few fellow soldiers with them?
It is not "manly" in the military to admit you have a problem...all soldiers should be tested for abnormal behavioural issues...
I shutter to think of the outcome of testing TVF posters mental health...coffee1.gif
Just kidding...do not get your panties in a wad...

Why do we(& the Americans)even waste time with these people?

Anyone who bites the hand that feeds them are ungrateful bastards & should be given an immediate lead injection.

Problem solved.

He is as American as you. Born and bred.

Hello SS

He most definitely does not appear to be "bred" the same way as [him], or me. This is the single underlying issue with ideologies that inculcate supremacist ambitions- they are not "bred" the same way. Benedict Arnold was "born and bred" in America. Same end, but only the "born" is the same.

I get the feeling that even the writer of this report holds some scepticism around the charges and evidence.

That's just the AP style of news reporting. AP actually puts out a style book that I had to know when I was in journalism school. Aside from sentence and paragraph construction, everything is "alleged" and "s/he said." It's supposed to be objective. If the reporter has actual evidence in his/her possession, it's time to write a feature article or exposé.