Mai Daeng best price/quality?

LannaGuy

Been to Suksawad and before I pull the trigger thought I'd enquire if there are better places to buy? No alternatives please as I've done the research. It's around 150,000 baht just for wood not including installation so worth just checking source.

Many thanks in advance.

Tawiiphan

Wood World

What grade and size do you want?

I'm going to show my real ignorance here... I have no clue. I will be building a deck and my guy advises me 6x1x5m so 6 wide 5m long and 1 thick? as for grade I am clueless but Mai Daeng looks good, harder than teak and Googled it says perfect for decks. Any knowledge you would be willing to share is gratefully received.

g/day cobber, you have not mentioned how many sq metressmile.png

perhaps 9 yrs ago purchased same(approx 100 sq metres) at sukaswad for 500 baht a sq metre, plus 300 baht to be laid and sanded back by hand three times,and laquered two coats

and the finish now is as good as the day it was done, but mind you all inside floors

now hear to do the same would be double my price, ,during my build purchased many products from sukaswad, and all items have lasted til this very daysmile.png

u have mentioned not to discuss a alternative,but forgive me not to say conwood would be ideal for your job at a mutch cheaper pricebiggrin.png

its a icy cold morning (at beverly hills maerim ) to allsmile.png

perhaps 9 yrs ago purchased same(approx 100 sq metres) at sukaswad for 500 baht a sq metre, plus 300 baht to be laid and sanded back by hand three times,and laquered two coats

and the finish now is as good as the day it was done, but mind you all inside floors

now hear to do the same would be double my price, ,during my build purchased many products from sukaswad, and all items have lasted til this very daysmile.png

u have mentioned not to discuss a alternative,but forgive me not to say conwood would be ideal for your job at a mutch cheaper pricebiggrin.png

Hi, it's for my tiled deck and the builder estimates 80 planks 6x1x5

post-233765-0-80450600-1452562985_thumb.

Nice Bismarkia. Do not cut the leaves untill they are completely dry, that will let the trunk develop to a very nice large diameter. Cutting the leaves before that will result in a sub optimal trunk size like a telephone pole which will not look good with the 6 meter diameter head that it will have.

If you are not going to be enclosing the deck EvenStevens is onto something recommending Conwood or similar. Your porch is covered but wind will blow rain onto the deck so if you use any real wood, you will be refinishing it every two years, fine if that is what you want to do and pay for.

l/g my cobber, a pic can tell a thousand storys, how truesmile.png

your lovely shack needs mai deng, biggrin.png stick conwood up your jumperlaugh.png J.M.O

heads up, make sure your contracter seals the perimeter edges fully,as a little water will lift the mai deng in a twinkle of a eye

post a finished pic up, a very nice day to allsmile.png

Tawiiphan

Wood World

I'm going to show my real ignorance here... I have no clue. I will be building a deck and my guy advises me 6x1x5m so 6 wide 5m long and 1 thick? as for grade I am clueless but Mai Daeng looks good, harder than teak and Googled it says perfect for decks. Any knowledge you would be willing to share is gratefully received.

I have recently been buying mai yahng daeng at Suksawat Lumber for a variety of projects.

It is absolutely top quality wood - straight grain with no knots at all, but quite expensive.

1X6X4m boards cost 500 baht each. After planing the rough-sawn lumber the dimensions are 3/4"X5 1/2".

Probably the best wood for flooring is used teak from an old house... if you can find it.

Good luck with your projects.

l/g my cobber, a pic can tell a thousand storys, how truesmile.png

your lovely shack needs mai deng, biggrin.png stick conwood up your jumperlaugh.png J.M.O

heads up, make sure your contracter seals the perimeter edges fully,as a little water will lift the mai deng in a twinkle of a eye

post a finished pic up, a very nice day to allsmile.png

Thanks mate laugh.png we will lay the Mai Daeng onto metal struts and box it off at the ends thanks for assistance

Tawiiphan

Wood World

I have recently been buying mai yahng daeng at Suksawat Lumber for a variety of projects.

It is absolutely top quality wood - straight grain with no knots at all, but quite expensive.

1X6X4m boards cost 500 baht each. After planing the rough-sawn lumber the dimensions are 3/4"X5 1/2".

Probably the best wood for flooring is used teak from an old house... if you can find it.

Thanks 500 baht? I'll go check again I though it was more than that - mai YANG daeng? it's the same as the traditional 'mai daeng'?

Nice Bismarkia. Do not cut the leaves untill they are completely dry, that will let the trunk develop to a very nice large diameter. Cutting the leaves before that will result in a sub optimal trunk size like a telephone pole which will not look good with the 6 meter diameter head that it will have.

If you are not going to be enclosing the deck EvenStevens is onto something recommending Conwood or similar. Your porch is covered but wind will blow rain onto the deck so if you use any real wood, you will be refinishing it every two years, fine if that is what you want to do and pay for.

Thanks got two of those and as they came with the proprty no idea how to care for them but they are magnificent and I'll follow your advice

post-233765-0-46281000-1452567561_thumb.

Tawiiphan

Wood World

Thanks 500 baht? I'll go check again I though it was more than that - mai YANG daeng? it's the same as the traditional 'mai daeng'?

Same-same but different.

What I used to buy years ago as mai daeng was a medium to dark red. What is available now and called mai yahng daeng is much lighter in color but otherwise quite similar. It is excellent wood. What in the US would be considered furniture quality. Really too good to be used as decking. That's why I mentioned used teak - but regrettably somewhat hard to fine the good stuff nowadays. The area around Chiang Rai would no doubt have a better selection than Chiang Mai, although there are used lumber dealers around here. You might get lucky.

Same-same but different.

What I used to buy years ago as mai daeng was a medium to dark red. What is available now and called mai yahng daeng is much lighter in color but otherwise quite similar. It is excellent wood. What in the US would be considered furniture quality. Really too good to be used as decking. That's why I mentioned used teak - but regrettably somewhat hard to fine the good stuff nowadays. The area around Chiang Rai would no doubt have a better selection than Chiang Mai, although there are used lumber dealers around here. You might get lucky.

I'll go check prices again today and report back but i thought the mai daeng at Suksawad was about 1500 baht for 6x1x5m

Just my honest opinion, that deck looks great I love the tiles, why go to the expense of covering it.

Save your money and spend on another project.

Just my honest opinion, that deck looks great I love the tiles, why go to the expense of covering it.

Save your money and spend on another project.

Ya just different tastes I guess. I don't like the tiles at all and I love wood decks... the feeling under the feet and the natural all round feel - I think it will look fantastic with wood planks and after I develop the garden and tear up the lawn (plant trees and shrubs and have a water fall/Koi etc.) it will blend in so well IMHO

post-233765-0-44575300-1452569558_thumb.

Edited by LannaGuy

ok back from suksawad

4x1x2.00 = 333 baht x 334 pieces = 111,000

or

6x1x2.00 = 604 baht x 207 = 125,000

I thought the 4 wide might actually look better than the 6 wide? any views on this? they do 4.00 long but, again, I thought the 2.00m long looked better but interested in opinions

all of it 'Mai Daeng'

I know you will blanch, but there are artificial woods that look so real you can't really tell the difference, except they don't need to be refinished often and will not be a problem in the rain.

I have looked at some and my friend put some down on his fully exposed deck. They look fine.

I know you will blanch, but there are artificial woods that look so real you can't really tell the difference, except they don't need to be refinished often and will not be a problem in the rain.

I have looked at some and my friend put some down on his fully exposed deck. They look fine.

I did look at samples of conwood but it's really does, to me, look artificial and will be hard to walk on. I love wood because I suffer from back ailments (DDD etc.) and I like the 'give' in wood

Moisture will be a problem if the porch is as in the photos.

why? [/quote)

It will get water on it, rain.

You can't seal it well enough. That is why they do not put wood floors in showers.

morning Bill, many decks are open to the elements? this one is very well covered actually and, I am told, Mai Daeng is even hardier than Teak? I have seen many sala's and decks open to the elements but I will stop and think if this is a real issue thanks for input

u certainly appear to have the situation

I have seen many sala's and decks open to the elements

yes cobber, for a fair dinkum example, our sala which is 49 sq metres ,is completely open to all elements for around 8 yrs and can count the times on one hand where a small mop up was requiredsmile.png

and at the time, i was seriously considering doing the same as u , using mai deng for the sala floor as i had the right contractor at hand to do a fine job

BUT

along came the finiancal meltdownsad.png went for tiles insteadlaugh.png

L/G from your posts and pics, u certainly appear to have the situation in control ,

when one starts comparing shower rooms to your project cheesy.gif its time for u TO GO FOR IT, biggrin.png j.m.o

its another nippy good morning ( out in beverly hills mae rim ) to allsmile.png