Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge receives death threats

webfact

Sad to hear, some wackos on the net, probably just a troll but who knows

"Only done half the job" sounds like it came from a fellow Brit. Most probably from a immature jealous class mate, ex-boyfriend, work colleague, etc. Death threat for what ... being good looking? By the way I doubt the phrase "Only done half the job" would come from a Thai / Burmese. All the same Facebook should report the posters and have she/he investigated by the appropriate authorities.

The phraseology used in some of the online threats to Laura Witheridge certainly indicate the perpetrator is British, especially the phrase "tick tock tick tock". But I doubt it is someone living in the U.K. More likely an expat Brit who is living in Thailand and is mentally disturbed.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not wrong - I am 100% right in this. The judge based his judgement on the DNA evidence, stating that it was this that led him to hand down the guilty verdict as it was so overwhelming that it trumped all of the other evidence and was conclusive enough on its own.

You are making the mistake, that, you think the DNA evidence was flawed, but you are not the presiding judge in the case and therefore this presumption of yours is irrelevant!!

The DNA evidence was not flawed, because there was no DNA, it got used up.

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Oh come on---no matter how down on Thailand you are...This is fantasy from the Sister who I don't think even came here...can anyone really imagine in the middle of a murder hunt that is being reported world wide The Thai authorities saying ..."don't worry--Go Make another Baby" ...... What Authorities When.........Where....

And as for the other comments she is coming out with---"A Thai (Buddhist said )..."Its OK she will be back in 30 days as someone else"

I don't think the murder trial was conducted that well........I have definite doubts about the convicted....but this has to be recognised for what it is......pure fantasy.

She posted the photo of her and her parents at the police arranged press conference that they thought was a meeting with the police, so she did come to Koh Tao and so you are wrong about everything,

The Witheridge family never went to Koh Tao, but the Millers did. The photo you refer to was taken at a "press conference" in Bangkok that the Witheridges were duped into attending when they came to take Hannah's body home after the Thai autopsy had been done.

Edited by IslandLover

I am not wrong - I am 100% right in this. The judge based his judgement on the DNA evidence, stating that it was this that led him to hand down the guilty verdict as it was so overwhelming that it trumped all of the other evidence and was conclusive enough on its own.

You are making the mistake, that, you think the DNA evidence was flawed, but you are not the presiding judge in the case and therefore this presumption of yours is irrelevant!!

There is no DNA evidence.

You had better tell the judge this, as HE knows there is, having seen it and in basing his judgement on it! The DNA evidence that you claim doesn't exist was damning in its conclusiveness and 'done for them'.

The judges saw a couple of scrappy pieces of paper with some incomplete and edited DNA profile 'information' on them. And they heard a load of 'corroborating' tosh from the prosecution and it's RTP 'witnesses' (who were repeatedly caught out perjuring themselve in court). The judges chose to beleive all this and convict on it, as is their prerogative. No corroborating physical DNA was presented as evidence to the court.

Andy Hall has just posted a translation of the full verdict:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xly80cykmvbwcpp/FINAL%20KOH%20TAO%20JUDGEMENT%20(English).pdf?dl=0

Thanks for posting this - clearly, everything done by the police was above board although there was some technical issues (which did not alter the fact of their obvious guilt to the crimes) as decreed by the judge. The DNA evidence appears damning, just as I thought, with several witness statements to the fact that the DNA testing proved beyond all doubt that the semen found in Hannah's anus and vagina was a perfect match of the two accused. No wonder this evidence was irrefutable by the defence team!!

A few things stick out for me - they were examined by a competent MD who was accredited to carry out such examinations stated (under oath) that he found no bruises or signs of torture on either of the accused. OK, compare this to what one of the two Burmese said "the authorities tortured me close to the point of death"!! I challenge anyone to marry these two descriptions together so that both can be shown to be correct.

I can see why the judge was absolutely convinced by the evidence - particularly the DNA evidence element of the investigation!!

The DNA evidence was not flawed, because there was no DNA, it got used up.

How can nothing be used up?clap2.gif.

That's like saying I drank the water out of an empty glass.

The more I think about this, the funnier it gets.

Have you read Andy Hall's translation of the court proceedings? because I have. Now why don't you take the time to read this and then come back to me with your views on whether she was 'gang' raped (how they describe it), or not.

I don't think that the defence team would deny the fact that she was viciously raped!! The B2's DNA in the form of semen was found in both orifices of Hannah before she was bludgeoned to death by them.

According to CSI LA who quoted the Thai language outlet matichon, the RTP head honcho Chaktip (The billion baht man) has threatened to sue :Laura Witheridge for defamation. And as if it couldn't get uglier without this latest move. I seriously hope Laura is able to substantiate any / all of what she said in any clear cut way.

And this coroner report is due out, but nobody is able to confirm exact dates are they?

asiamaster, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:55, said:
soalbundy, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:37, said:
lannarebirth, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:29, said:
oxo1947, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:07, said:

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Oh come on---no matter how down on Thailand you are...This is fantasy from the Sister who I don't think even came here...can anyone really imagine in the middle of a murder hunt that is being reported world wide The Thai authorities saying ..."don't worry--Go Make another Baby" ...... What Authorities When.........Where....

And as for the other comments she is coming out with---"A Thai (Buddhist said )..."Its OK she will be back in 30 days as someone else"

I don't think the murder trial was conducted that well........I have definite doubts about the convicted....but this has to be recognised for what it is......pure fantasy.

I don't know if the comments attributed to the Thai officials are true or not, but I will say it sounds EXACTLY like something a Thai official would be likely to say.

we ought to be careful of translations though as well, many phrases in Thai when translated directly sound strange. i remember everyone pouncing on Prayut for supposedly saying ''don't think so much'' when in fact although the word think was used, in the context he was using it meant ''don't worry too much''

Agreed, in this case a lot has been lost in translation and possibly wrongly interpreted.

Thai (Buddhists) do have a way of dealing with life and death which is incomprehensible to many Westerners. They will console each other by firmly believing in reincarnation and Karma. In a way it's no different than saying "she's in heaven now".

Another strange one is that when a baby is born everyone will say "what an ugly baby".

I also agree that whoever have been sending those pictures and threats are sick people.

I'm glad you added that last sentence, asiamaster. There are two clear issues here. Firstly, what Thai court officials are alleged to have said the Witheridge family, which can be open to mistranslation, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding between Asian and Western cultures who hold differing religious beliefs. Secondly, the death threats and online abuse, for which there is absolutely no excuse.

My grandfather was brought up as a Hindu. He believed in reincarnation. I don't, having been brought up in a Western (Christian) culture.

Edited by IslandLover

According to CSI LA who quoted the Thai language outlet matichon, the RTP head honcho Chaktip (The billion baht man) has threatened to sue :Laura Witheridge for defamation. And as if it couldn't get uglier without this latest move. I seriously hope Laura is able to substantiate any / all of what she said in any clear cut way.

And this coroner report is due out, but nobody is able to confirm exact dates are they?

Good luck suing her when she isnt even in the country and never likely to be.

z42, on 13 Jan 2016 - 17:02, said:

Good luck to him with that whistling.gif To even say something like that shows the mentality of these Thai officials.

The inquests into the deaths of Hannah and David have not yet been held. In the case of Hannah, the details are on the Norfolk Coroner's website. At the moment the date for the full inquest hearing is left blank.

stephenterry, on 12 Jan 2016 - 07:10, said:

It would be par for the course that what compensation the Thai authorities offered the Witheridges, they also offered similar to the Miller family. In Laura's statement they rejected the offers, and were then subjected to ongoing indescribable abuse and death threats by THAIS. Logically then, the B2 could not be the killers (because why should the THAIS care?).

That didn't happen to the Millers. So, tell me what decision did the Millers make? Go with the flow. Keep an open mind. Suck up to the hand that feeds it? After all, the B2 were probably implicated, so what's the problem?

As to the murdering stopping, there's little chance of that until the killer(s) are caught - and that won't happen until the island is cleared by the Junta. In Luke Miller's case, the PM should have immediately sent no-nonsense (if any exist) BKK RTP to investigate, not rely on local RTP to fudge the truth yet again.

In Luke Miller's case, the PM should have immediately sent no-nonsense (if any exist) BKK RTP to investigate, not rely on local RTP to fudge the truth yet again.

Is there any difference?

KunMatt, on 13 Jan 2016 - 17:24, said:
lucky11, on 13 Jan 2016 - 16:59, said:

Have you read Andy Hall's translation of the court proceedings? because I have. Now why don't you take the time to read this and then come back to me with your views on whether she was 'gang' raped (how they describe it), or not.

I don't think that the defence team would deny the fact that she was viciously raped!! The B2's DNA in the form of semen was found in both orifices of Hannah before she was bludgeoned to death by them.

He and his alter-egos conveniently left out the word "IF" that prefaced Jonathan Head's original tweet, which was split into two parts.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

KunMatt, on 13 Jan 2016 - 17:24, said:

lucky11, on 13 Jan 2016 - 16:59, said:

He and his alter-egos conveniently left out the word "IF" that prefaced Jonathan Head's original tweet, which was split into two parts.

Yeah I know, everyone knew including him which is why his pathetic ruse to mislead the thread was even more pathetic. This username should be retired and the owner sticks to one of the other 3 or 4 instead.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

ianf, on 12 Jan 2016 - 08:57, said:
oxo1947, on 12 Jan 2016 - 06:07, said:

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Oxo's posting resembles anything but the poster's own fantasy. It is a disgraceful post - one of the worst I have seen in all my years on TV. I have no doubt whatsoever that what Laura reports is correct. Anyone with an ounce of understanding of this whole tragic situation should oppose Oxo's post. Shameful.

@ ianf - the saying "Don't feed the troll" is applicable here.

Isitjustme, on 12 Jan 2016 - 10:05, said:

Just posted this on the Luke Miller thread. Seems to me to have the same relevance here.

I agree with you absolutely. Quite a number of these rtp apologists have been guilty of sickening callousness in their comments, almost on a par with the scum who commited these crimes and roam free to do it again.

There's no accounting for human nature. How low would anyone stoop to protect their interests and those of their paymasters? Right down to gutter level and below apparently. It's not only Thais, as someone suggested, who have no concept of conscience.

Ignoring their sick fantasies is my preferred way to deal with them. Why give them the pleasure of being acknowledged as if their lies, digressions, obfuscations, deliberate baiting and general disregard for the obvious truth, apart from their overall disregard for human life.....as if any of this garbage was worth responding directly to them.

Luke's sister and Hannah's are indeed brave young woman who probably don't see it that way themselves. They just want justice to be done and seen to be done for their departed siblings. I think any of us would do the same if it was our brothers and sisters whose lives had been lost in such a meaningless way.They want people to realise the corruption and cover-ups involved and see the depths to which Kho Tao officialdom will stoop to protect their precious baht and save their worthless faces.

I hope the efforts of the decent-minded people who post on here can go some way to support them.

Bravo, Isitjustme!

The DNA found on Hannah which apparently matched the DNA of the B2 according to the RTP was not available for verification because it was either lost or used up, what more is there to know? Not one civilized court in any civilized country would have allowed a conviction based on that.

What strikes me about RTP contemplating a law suit against Laura is that they immediatly dismiss her claims. Its as if the RTP could never be capable of such actions. Why not investigate the police chief who she said took money from the media, investigate what was alledgedly said to her and her family by the judges. The defamation laws in Thailand seem to used to silence people. We have seen it with Andy Hall and the pinapple company, Andrew Drummond with fraudsters, an academic whos name escapes me for plagiarism and countless others. In all these cases the law was used in retaliation by wrongdoers to silence their critics and stop them revealing criminal activity.Now the police are using the same tactic.

What strikes me about RTP contemplating a law suit against Laura is that they immediatly dismiss her claims. Its as if the RTP could never be capable of such actions. Why not investigate the police chief who she said took money from the media, investigate what was alledgedly said to her and her family by the judges. The defamation laws in Thailand seem to used to silence people. We have seen it with Andy Hall and the pinapple company, Andrew Drummond with fraudsters, an academic whos name escapes me for plagiarism and countless others. In all these cases the law was used in retaliation by wrongdoers to silence their critics and stop them revealing criminal activity.Now the police are using the same tactic.

I think I read somewhere that a person can be charged with defamation even if what they claimed was actually true...

farcanell, on 12 Jan 2016 - 11:36, said:

Cyber bullying (or stalking) is a growing trend.

These people are dispicable... And words simply fail me to describe the type of person attacking this poor woman, after what she'sshe and the families have been thru... Psychotic, perhaps.

One would have thought " only in Hollywood".

I read the other day, in a different thread ( maybe regarding a vehicular accident) that if compensation is accepted, then suing for a larger amount at a later date cannot be done... So the offer of compensation, if that poster was correct, seems in line with Thai thinking

If this threat, or line of stalking, were against a person of consequence (member of parliament or nobility, for example) it would indeed be tracked down to its source... After all, the Brits probably have some of the most sophisticated electronics and cyber tools at their disposal ( not meaning to debegrate the NSA etc,) , but using them costs money

This is such a sad and bad story that it beggars belief... And the old adage " time heals"' just doesn't cut it!

I read the other day, in a different thread ( maybe regarding a vehicular accident) that if compensation is accepted, then suing for a larger amount at a later date cannot be done... So the offer of compensation, if that poster was correct, seems in line with Thai thinking

This is common with insurance companies, also in Europe, and probably worldwide. The "compensation" Laura Witheridge is referring to is something entirely different. I call it "blood money" (something which is very common in Middle-Eastern countries).

roo860, on 12 Jan 2016 - 11:52, said:

Would have thought if someone was going to say they'd been chased, they would also say it had been reported to the police.

But that's my own thoughts.

It was reported to the police. This was confirmed in the comments under Laura's original facebook post which has now been removed because more online threats have been received. It's just sick sad.png

I read the entire report, I see many things that the defense reported to the public were not true.

Example, we all remember all the brouhaha over the UK coroner finding no lesions indicating rape, according to Andy Hall, right?:

Here's the judge citing the UK autopsy as being consistent with the Thai autopsy:

"Police Colonel Dr Pawut, M.D, testified that there was a tear to the Second Deceased’s vulva, which is consistent with the report of the second victim’s autopsy in the United Kingdom in Document Lor. 31 (page 21)"

And what came of the media stunt of taking the DNA samples from the two defendants at the courtroom?

"Moreover, the two defendants did not provide their DNA test results which were sent for a retest by the Forensic Institute to support their defense during the witness cross-examination stage."

How about the often repeated talking point that the testimony of Dr. Pornthip's analysis of the hoe proved the two had nothing to do with the murder?:

"Even though the report of the results of the DNA tests conducted by the Institute of Forensic Science according to Document number Lor. 29 summarises the results and conclusions of the examination that the DNA of the two Defendants did not match the mixed DNA of a male found on the exhibited hoe, this is not signicicant or inconsistent because the mixed DNA of a male that was found on the hoe matched the DNA of the First Deceased. In this case, and based on the evidence given by the witness for the Plaintiff, Mr O, it transpires that Mr O was the person who regularly used the exhibited hoe and even after the crime has been committed Mr O continued to use the exhibited hoe before it was sent off for examination. However, there was no examination for a match with the DNA of Mr O. With regard to the reason for not finding a match with the DNA of the Offenders on the exhibited hoe, Khunying Pornthip M.D. explained that there could be many reasons for this, such as whether the hands are dry or sweaty which affects whether or not DNA is left on an object, or if the offenders had been wearing gloves or had put a cloth around the handle of the hoe or even if the handle of the exhibited hoe had been washed"

Or repeating that the phone was "allegedly" David Miller's:

"As for the charges brought against the Second Defendant for theft at night, the witness for the Plaintiff Mr Aung Li Zaw or Ren Ren testified that only a few hours after the crime had taken place the Second Defendant took the exhibited mobile phone to the witness, claiming that a foreigner had left it behind at the bar. Apart from this, Police Colonel Prachum Rueangthong, witness for the Plaintiff, similarly testified that after he had been informed by police officers that the Second Defendant had confessed to having taken the mobile phone and sunglasses of the First Deceased to his friend named Mr Ren Ren, the witness and his colleagues therefore went to question Mr Ren Ren and were able to seize the mobile phone belonging to the First Deceased as an exhibit. In relation to the information gathered in connection with this, the witness for the Plaintiff, Police Lieutenant Colonel Natthaphong Romsai, the officer responsible for questioning the Second Defendant and Police Lieutenant Colonel Thanongsak Aksornsom, the investigating officer of the informant and who also joined in the questioning of the Second Defendant, and Mr Phitthaya Yophetch, the lawyer who attended the interrogation of both Defendants that took place on 3 October 2014, has testified consistently in Court that the Second Defendant confessed to the fact that after having attacked and raped the Second Deceased then the Second Defendant took the mobile phone and the sunglasses belonging to the First Deceased. The witness statements for the Plaintiff in this regard all testify to the facts that they have seen and learned and the witnesses for the Plaintiff had no reason to be biased against the Defendants. It would therefore have been difficult for the police officers to undertaken the investigations and made the seizure of evidence that they did without having had the information from the prior supporting witness statements. After having seized exhibited evidence, the police officers immediately investigated the exhibited mobile phone and the Plaintiff’s witness testified to confirm as to Evidence Document number Jor 30 that the identification number or IMEI of the exhibited mobile phone matched the number of the mobile phone of the First Deceased. Moreover, Document Jor 77 obtained from the father of the First Deceased made this factual issue more sound and credible. In this regards, the Second Defendant are unable to present any evidence at all to contradict this matter. The evidence brought by the Plaintiff is therefore credible and supports beyond doubts that the exhibited mobile phone is definitely that of the First Deceased."

On the topic of lies and phones, repeating from the above:

"the witness for the Plaintiff Mr Aung Li Zaw or Ren Ren testified that only a few hours after the crime had taken place the Second Defendant took the exhibited mobile phone to the witness, claiming that a foreigner had left it behind at the bar."

This is from their own alibi:

"The Second Defendant then returned to look for his lost items because the shirt that was misplaced belonged to Mr Mau Mau, who had exchanged the shirt [with him] earlier, while they were drinking beer. Also, he needed his shoes to wear for work. Nevertheless, the Second Defendant did not find such items. Upon his return to Mr Mau Mau’s house, he found a mobile phone dropped on the beach between AC2 Shop and Maya Bar, so he kept it. The Second Defendant met Mr Mau Mau before he reached the house, so he told Mr Mau Mau about the misplaced shirt. Both the Second Defendant and Mr Mau Mau arrived home at about 4 am.

The two Defendants slept at Mr Mau Mau’s house until the morning. When they got up, they did not see Mr. Mau Mau. The First Defendant saw a motorcycle key by the side of his head, so he drove and dropped the Second Defendant at the Second Defendant’s house and rode back to his house at Moo Baan Chalok Kao village. At about 8 am, the Second Defendant showed Mr Ren Ren the mobile phone he had retrieved and told him that he had found it at the restaurant. The Second Defendant tried to turn the mobile phone on but he could not because he did not have the passcode. Then, he left the mobile phone to be recharged at Mr Ren Ren’s house. After the murder news in Koh Tao spread, the Second Defendant told the truth to Mr Ren Ren that he found the mobile phone near where the incident had happened. Then, the Second Defendant slept over at the First Defendant’s house and returned to Mr Ren Ren’s house again to ask about the phone. Mr Ren Ren said he had smashed and destroyed the phone and thrown it away because he did not want to be implicated in the crime. The Second Defendant was disinterested and did not ask further."

Before the news about the murders spread Wei Phyo lied to his friend about where he had "found" the phone, and after the news spread his friend destroyed the phone because he feared being implicated in the crime.

His own alibi all but admits that he lied for no other apparent reason than to conceal the origin of the victim's phone.

What else?:

"Next, the translator told him that the Second Defendant had been arrested and that the First Defendant could talk to him on the phone. The Second Defendant said he had been severely beaten until he had almost been killed."

"In regard to the bruises that the defendants claimed to be discovered by a doctor, it is still unclear as to when they could have occurred or by whom they were caused. According to the witness examination by the Plaintiff, following the interrogation of both the Defendants the Investigating Officers arranged for Dr Chasit to examine the Defendants as evidence and Dr Chasit testified in this Court as a witness for the Plaintiff, confirming that, based on his examination of both the Defendants, there was no evidence of bruising, that their pulses were normal and that the general health of the Defendants was in the normal range. Upon consideration of the Witness statement and the photographs taken during the examination of the Defendants conducted by Dr Chasit in Evidence Document Jor 68 it can be seen that both Defendants appeared normal and showed no traces of having been assaulted as claimed."

So was beaten nearly to death, and the photographs show nothing?