Thai govt's direct rubber purchase draws mixed reaction

webfact

Government's direct rubber purchase draws mixed reaction

115-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government's agreement to purchase rubber directly from farmers drew mixed reaction with farmers in some provinces voicing opposition, while the rest giving support.

Secretary-general of an association for rubber and oil palm growers in Surat Thani province Mr Dendech Dechmanee said rubber growers will make move to stop the government’s plan to purchase 100,000 tonnes of rubber from farmers because the measure will not produce direct benefit to them.

He said his group will forward the demand to the government via Surat Thani governor.

He called on the government to cancel its plan to purchase rubber sheets and to only buy lump rubbers and rubber latex from farmers, reasoning that producers of lump rubbers and rubber latex are those who are hardest hit by the price plunge.

Yesterday Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha has confirmed that the government will not solely determine the purchase price of rubbers under its new assistance plan and said both the government and farmers will jointly work out suitable purchase price that suffice farmers’ living.

General Prayut said that government representatives will be sent to meet with local farmers in each area to jointly work out suitable purchase price.

He denied the purchase price would be determined by the government on its own.

His clarification came after the government had agreed to buy 100,000 of rubbers from farmers at an above-market price to help relieve impact of the price plummet.

The prime minister also said that farmers in the southern region will be the first group to receive the assistance.

He said the government will first purchase rubbers from farmers who suffer from the price plummet the most to those who feel the impact the least.

General Prayut also said the rubber price subsidy approved by his government is different from subsidies rolled out by previous governments.

He said his measure aims to help rubber farmers on a sustainable basis.

The prime minister also noted that he has asked the Industry Ministry and the Science and Technology Ministry to assess quality of rubber products and give out certificate to rubber products with good quality to boost local demand for rubber products.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will purchase 2,000 tonnes of rubber from farmers at the price of 40 baht per kilogram to help them relieve impact of the price plummet.

He said purchased rubbers will be used in BMA projects such as constructions of rubber pathways in public parks. According to the governor, the BMA Environment Agency is planning a construction of rubber roads worth 80 million baht at the railway park at Chatuchak.

Army chief GenTeerachai Narkvanich also said the army is planning to use purchased rubbers to produce pillows and mattress for soldiers. Previously, the ministry has used rubbers in constructions of 37 roads in the southern region.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/governments-direct-rubber-purchase-draws-mixed-reaction

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-14

The rest of the world is using unwanted rubber for soft paths not new natural rubber. Someone in government needs to research the industry before making decisions. They may then realise that the demand for natural rubber is in decline because synthetic, or a mixture of both, has superior properties for the majority of high demand uses.

rubber i don't know if you could use it to make an umbrella that would last rather than the rubbish material they cover them in now , if they lasted longer than one rainy season i would buy one , even if a bit more expensive.

The rest of the world is using unwanted rubber for soft paths not new natural rubber. Someone in government needs to research the industry before making decisions. They may then realise that the demand for natural rubber is in decline because synthetic, or a mixture of both, has superior properties for the majority of high demand uses.

Referencing the rest of the world is not the Thai way. To their inevitable sorrow.

This confuses me. How can they pay over the market price for rubber and at the same time pursue people for paying more than market price for rice. So its ok to buy rubber over market price but cannot buy rice over market price. You can eat rice. So which is more important?

This confuses me. How can they pay over the market price for rubber and at the same time pursue people for paying more than market price for rice. So its ok to buy rubber over market price but cannot buy rice over market price. You can eat rice. So which is more important?

And there lies the problem and hyprocracy for which a personal amnesty and section 44 apparently makes a popularist policy legal.

The hub of smoke and mirrors, do as I say, not as I do or stuff you, I'm ok Jack.

And there lies the problem and hyprocracy for which a personal amnesty and section 44 apparently makes a popularist policy legal.

The hub of smoke and mirrors, do as I say, not as I do or stuff you, I'm ok Jack.

The reasoning was in the op, quote "General Prayut also said the rubber price subsidy approved by his government is different from subsidies rolled out by previous governments."

As far as I can see that is all the reason you need.

Wow...

Clearly I am out of my depth.

Every post is exactly how I feel.

If you ever been to Italy, the Vatican has control of the country's Policy, Law Enforcement, Medical Institution, Government, Sanitation, Immigration for refugees (because the 10 million Euro allocated for settlement funded by taxes is skimmed which is why they advocate). Is exactly what's happening now.

The Vatican pays no tax...

The rubber that just jumped in price is known as selling long.

Last year, the smart money was selling short....

Either way, the hidden hand isn't paying taxes.

Once again, there is a paucity of information available to make heads or tails of what is going on. One some of the earlier articles, there were posts that 100,000 tons represents less that 10% of the total rubber production in Thailand. So, how will the regime decide who gets the subsidy and who doesn't? Will there be any transparency? (I won't hold my breath!) We are to accept that this will be done in a manner that will benefit those who need it the most on face value. Without more information, it is simply impossible to determine.

"The prime minister also noted that he has asked the Industry Ministry and the Science and Technology Ministry to assess quality of rubber products and give out certificate to rubber products with good quality to boost local demand for rubber products."

so all we need now is a national effort to invent Thai products which could be made out of rubber instead of what they are currently made from.

Answers on a postcard please......

Referencing the rest of the world is not the Thai way. To their inevitable sorrow.

The three countries producing more than 90% of all natural rubber the rest of the world has only old rubber, no new rubber.

Of course an oil price of US$ 120 would help make natural rubber more competitive.

• 3 weeks later...