Aircon install. Power feed wires twisted and taped!

casualbiker

Ok. I just had an 18btu aircon moved from one rental house to another. The installers were a pair of cowboys.. I didn't realise until half way through.. Anyway I tried keeping an eye on them and noticed that they had prepared two wires from the internal unit ready for twist and go. I told them NO, Do it properly.. Ok, ok they say.. After they left it seemed to be working OK.. Next day not so well. So out with steps and bugger me I could see a bit of taped wire sticking out the top.. So I called a different (professional) outfit to clean the three other aircon and install plastic ducting covers over the outside pipework.. Also their job was to sort out the wiring ie: do it correctly and not twisted and taped.. Finally they understand what I mean (the air was working, so they couldn't see a problem) they took the outer cover off and looked at the wiring and said "no problem".

So my questions:

Is it a problem to have the main feed to the internal unit just twisted and taped?

How do proper aircon installers connect the main electrical feed?

Unfortunately the twist-n-tape is not necessarily done properly. The cheapo PVC tape available here has a nasty habit of going gooey and then dropping off, if they have used proper jointer's amalgamating tape, no issue whatever. This stuff http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/electrical-tapes/self-amalgamating-tape/ yes, it's available here (even Tesco have it).

Replace with proper wire-nuts, some like a twist of tape on the nut too, it's not really needed if they are the right size.

Archived