Lottery fever hits the US as three winners share $1.6 billion jackpot

snoop1130

Lottery fever hits the US as three winners share $1.6 billion jackpot
Euronews

606x341_321204.jpg

USA -- It’s the world’s largest potential jackpot – which has apparently attracted three winners, in the US states of Tennessee, California and Florida.

At the store in California where one known winning ticket was sold, there were scenes of pandemonium.

The shop in an eastern suburb of Los Angeles will receive a one-million dollar bonus.

Despite odds of winning outright put at one in 292 million, many billionaire hopefuls queued for tickets.

“What I’m going to do with it is share with this girl (accompanying her), pay off my mortgages and everything. Go back to school at CSULB (California State University, Long Beach) . I will be investing a lot in charity,” said Donica Olsen of Hawthorne, California.

Far to the north, the huge potential prize also attracted Canadians who crossed the border into Washington state.

The lottery fever brought border traffic jams and crowded scenes in local stores.

“Lots of our relatives have come down. And just as we were coming across the border, the phone was ringing. Our friend was saying, “if you’re going across the border, pick me up some Powerball.”

The Powerball lottery exists in 44 American states. The enormous potential jackpot has encouraged people to place more money than usual – one man said to have spent 280 dollars in one go.

The three known lucky winners will get their hands on over 500 million dollars each.

Source: http://www.euronews.com/2016/01/14/lottery-fever-hits-the-us-as-three-winners-share-16-billion-jackpot/

^^^^

Don’t be silly.

If the prize was 1 billion for one winner:

With the annuity, you can opt for 30 annual payments that average to about $37 million, after Federal taxes. That adds up to just over a billion dollars over time.

With the lump sum, you get all your money at once, but after Federal taxes, that’s about $651 million.

Split 3 ways: $217 Million. Each.

“hardly anything left”? facepalm.gif

Now, given the fact that the winnings are 1.6 Billion, the take home is considerably more.

(Always take the annuity.)

Edited by iReason

With all the respect, but I have to say this.

Big American lotteries, Power Ball and Mega Millions, are absolutely not worth playing, it's just a plain nonsense, caricature ... Taxes, no jackpot cap, odds of winning are just insane, prize fund distribution between each prize tier ...

Compare these 2 lotteries to their European counterparts, Eurojackpot and Euromillions. I'm not saying you should play them, but sometimes more regulation can be positive.

Good luck to happy winners.

Edited by Matej

Big American lotteries, Power Ball and Mega Millions, are absolutely not worth playing, it's just a plain nonsense, caricature ...

-snip-

You can explain that to the three people who each just won more than 500 million USD. Sure it's a long shot, but for the first time in my life I bought a couple of lottery tickets. It's those kind of winning numbers ($'s) that are almost insane.

The highest federal tax rate on income is 39.6% for huge earners like this. Most people pay more like 15% but these people just became 1%ers. So even after taxes of just more than a third, these winners are insanely wealthy.

I expect a lot of people think it's worth "playing" as it is after all, a game like any other gambling, which I normally don't do.

Cheers.

Big American lotteries, Power Ball and Mega Millions, are absolutely not worth playing, it's just a plain nonsense, caricature ...

-snip-

You can explain that to the three people who each just won more than 500 million USD. Sure it's a long shot, but for the first time in my life I bought a couple of lottery tickets. It's those kind of winning numbers ($'s) that are almost insane.

I hope you will win something too ...

Good luck you're gonna need it.

So you think you've won the jackpot, then hear you have to share it with two others. After taxes there is hardly anything left ;-)

$553 million and after taxes about $293 million. I suppose I would be circumspect in wanting to go nuts on charity donations.

A good financial analyst and tax expert can shelter the winnings from half of the federal taxes over a 20-year period. But that requires a long-term plan and an active business career. Not everyone has that kind of patience, time and dedication to do so.

For the average person, take cash upfront and enjoy a carefree life. Taxes are paid out of the winnings so not a real cost.

Big American lotteries, Power Ball and Mega Millions, are absolutely not worth playing, it's just a plain nonsense, caricature ... Taxes, no jackpot cap, odds of winning are just insane, prize fund distribution between each prize tier ...

Compare these 2 lotteries to their European counterparts, Eurojackpot and Euromillions. I'm not saying you should play them, but sometimes more regulation can be positive.

Playing the lottery is about dreams. I rarely play but when it gets to 1 billion who can resist buying a few tickets. From the time you buy the ticket until you find you loose, you imagined what your life would be like if you won. For me, it wouldn't be bad traveling in a private jet.

Playing the lottery is about dreams. I rarely play but when it gets to 1 billion who can resist buying a few tickets. From the time you buy the ticket until you find you loose, you imagined what your life would be like if you won. For me, it wouldn't be bad traveling in a private jet.

I agree. It's all about dreaming, everyone's the winner before the draw.

My previous post was about those two specific lotteries and their rules not about lotteries in general.

For example, in my opinion lottery with no jackpot cap is nonsense. What's the point, for players, of having 1.3 billion in first tier while only 1 million in second?

Good luck in your next games.

I wonder how many people suffer psychological problems when they don't win. Of course, normal people might experience a little let down, but some of the more emotionally fragile may have bigger problems.

I wonder how many people suffer psychological problems when they don't win. Of course, normal people might experience a little let down, but some of the more emotionally fragile may have bigger problems.

It's a huge thing, psychological issues and gambling. There's a lot of people losing it every day just in front of poker machines and what not.

It controls people's lives. If some of them just invested what they wasted on tickets into savings accounts, they'd be a lot better off.

I buy a ticket bi-annually just to confirm that I'm unlucky 55555

You are right. I know a few people who have bought thousands of tickets and they still haven't figured out they are unlucky.

I had a friend buy me one ticket and for some strange reason, I was really quite saddened when I didn't win!

You are right. I know a few people who have bought thousands of tickets and they still haven't figured out they are unlucky.

I had a friend buy me one ticket and for some strange reason, I was really quite saddened when I didn't win!

so you even admit to knowing money launders too.

only thing i gamble on these days is exchange rates. i very rarely lose mainly because i very rarely make overt bets. its more subtle in choosing which currency to spend/use, which currencies to hoard. its compulsory gambling that expats have to engage in.