Second go around on a marriage visa in Savannakhet

Thanks Rick. Can you list the requirements - did it match the Thai list on their site exactly?

It is a very short list of what they want.

Marriage certificate plus a copy of it, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. A copy of your passport photo page and a completed application form.

• Like 1

I just listened to what Ubonjoe listed on another thread and I know the owner of a visa run company who is always helpful even though I don't use visa services anymore.

This was my second one so I brought a Kor 2. Just in case. They do not ask for much. Make sure to get decent copies of your information that was something they were telling people to change. 3-4 people out of the 10-12 I was in line with had that problem. The copy of your marriage cert has a back and front. I am not sure how critical they are about it being on a single page in the correct format.

Nope she had to work, but she was nice enough to get all the paperwork together for me. One poor old timers wife left him there no phone, no directions to get back home other than what town they live in and go to the bus station. An Englishman really helped the guy out with everything and got him sorted.

I just listened to what Ubonjoe listed on another thread and I know the owner of a visa run company who is always helpful even though I don't use visa services anymore.

This was my second one so I brought a Kor 2. Just in case. They do not ask for much. Make sure to get decent copies of your information that was something they were telling people to change. 3-4 people out of the 10-12 I was in line with had that problem. The copy of your marriage cert has a back and front. I am not sure how critical they are about it being on a single page in the correct format.

have you been with wife?

How does that work for your 90 day across the border ? I thought you needed a multi-entry visa, 5000 baht, so you can go (or at least in my case) across the Cambodian border every 90 days to get your stamp. As I need to go again in March, advice from the experienced expats would be invaluable. Cheers

How does that work for your 90 day across the border ? I thought you needed a multi-entry visa, 5000 baht, so you can go (or at least in my case) across the Cambodian border every 90 days to get your stamp. As I need to go again in March, advice from the experienced expats would be invaluable. Cheers

With a non-o that has a 1yr extension based on marriage, there is no leaving every 90 days only 90 day reporting.

With a non-o that has a 1yr extension based on marriage, there is no leaving every 90 days only 90 day reporting.

Thanks for the info. I got my first non O based on marriage in the UK, then the 2nd one in Laos, now that expires in mid March. From what you say, can I go to Immigration and apply for a 1 year extension and thereafter only have to report every 90 days, not cross the border. If that's the case it would save so much hassle. Please can you or any expat with experience confirm or not that that is what happens ! Cheers once again

Thanks for the info. I got my first non O based on marriage in the UK, then the 2nd one in Laos, now that expires in mid March. From what you say, can I go to Immigration and apply for a 1 year extension and thereafter only have to report every 90 days, not cross the border. If that's the case it would save so much hassle. Please can you or any expat with experience confirm or not that that is what happens ! Cheers once again

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries you get from your visa. You do not have to wait for your visa to expire. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info, but what happens if you're not quite lucky enough to be in that financial comfort zone ?

I went to Savannakhet because proof of finances wasn't required, but the visa they give you requires re-entry every 90 days. Not too much of a problem, but fills up your passport pretty quickly. Now, as stated by the original poster, if they are only issuing single entry visas does that mean I've got a problem or was that issued in a specific case ? HELP !!!

Many thanks for the info, but what happens if you're not quite lucky enough to be in that financial comfort zone ?

I went to Savannakhet because proof of finances wasn't required, but the visa they give you requires re-entry every 90 days. Not too much of a problem, but fills up your passport pretty quickly. Now, as stated by the original poster, if they are only issuing single entry visas does that mean I've got a problem or was that issued in a specific case ? HELP !!!

I see don't see where it is written a multiple entry visa is no longer available in Savannakhet. The OP got one without a problem.

I see don't see where it is written a multiple entry visa is no longer available in Savannakhet. The OP got one without a problem.

Sorry, I read it wrong. In his last paragraph he mentions single entry "tourist" visas, guess when I read it the first time I just assumed he was on about his visa, which obviously wasn't the case.

• Like 1

Nope she had to work, but she was nice enough to get all the paperwork together for me. One poor old timers wife left him there no phone, no directions to get back home other than what town they live in and go to the bus station. An Englishman really helped the guy out with everything and got him sorted.

Every time I've been to Savannakhet there has been both elderly and younger people that just need some kind of help to get from the consulate back to Thailand and on to their destination, some are great full for the help but some are just...

One time during the same day service period I a man in his 70's could get back to Thailand, he had spent his money on whiskey and beer while waiting for his visa. I payed for the tuk-tuk to the border and then the bus to cross the border, his wife meet him on the Thai side of the border and was happy to see him but angry as hell as he was drunk and had spent all the money.... she payed me back the 100 Baht I had spent for her husband and they took me to the bus station in Mukdahan.

Last time I went there we got our passports back late so the buses north and northwest had already left Mukdahan when we came to the bus terminal. So I helped 2 men in their 20's on their way to Chang Mai by advising them to take the same bus as me to Kong Kaen as there are many buses leaving from there. The bus from Mukdahan stopped at terminal 1 in Kong Kaen and the taxi wanted 100 Baht to take us the 10km to terminal 3. That's when I decided to ditched my "companions" as they started haggling over the price, I just payed 100 and got a taxi for my self. They arrived 10 minutes after me at terminal 3 and was bragging that they only payed 80 Baht for the two of them, their happiness was short lived as they could not get tickets to Chang Mai that day, sold out... when I got there 10 minutes earlier there was 7 seats left on the bus.

• Like 1

Every time I've been to Savannakhet there has been both elderly and younger people that just need some kind of help to get from the consulate back to Thailand and on to their destination, some are great full for the help but some are just...

One time during the same day service period I a man in his 70's could get back to Thailand, he had spent his money on whiskey and beer while waiting for his visa. I payed for the tuk-tuk to the border and then the bus to cross the border, his wife meet him on the Thai side of the border and was happy to see him but angry as hell as he was drunk and had spent all the money.... she payed me back the 100 Baht I had spent for her husband and they took me to the bus station in Mukdahan.

Last time I went there we got our passports back late so the buses north and northwest had already left Mukdahan when we came to the bus terminal. So I helped 2 men in their 20's on their way to Chang Mai by advising them to take the same bus as me to Kong Kaen as there are many buses leaving from there. The bus from Mukdahan stopped at terminal 1 in Kong Kaen and the taxi wanted 100 Baht to take us the 10km to terminal 3. That's when I decided to ditched my "companions" as they started haggling over the price, I just payed 100 and got a taxi for my self. They arrived 10 minutes after me at terminal 3 and was bragging that they only payed 80 Baht for the two of them, their happiness was short lived as they could not get tickets to Chang Mai that day, sold out... when I got there 10 minutes earlier there was 7 seats left on the bus.

That is always my rule of thumb when traveling....do what it takes to get the next step down the line, in the most expedient manner.

One time I had a cancelled flight out of Atlanta, they put us on the next day's flight and gave us hotel vouchers. As soon as I had my hotel voucher in hand I beat feet to the taxi queue, rather than wait for the free bus/van that would take us to the hotel.

I got to the hotel, put my crap into my room, and was back sitting in the lobby bar having a drink when that whole gaggle from my flight arrived. Those poor souls stood in that line for a long time getting checked in.

One or two people recognized me from the flight and asked how I got checked in so quickly. I am not sure they grasped the concept of why I would pay for a taxi when the bus was free...up to them.

You get 1 year from the original visa. On the last or near the last day you make one final crossing for an additional 90 days. This can be extended for 2 months for 1900 at immigration. The Immigration office actually busted my chops on finances saying that the extension requires proof of funds. I thought she was just giving me a hard time considering that I have lived in the same home for almost 3 years but it is in fact the rule for an extension at the end of this type of visa. She made me bring my wife and granted the extension after two trips to the office. My wife works at a well know resort here so they chatted a bit and she waved the requirement.(Guess it is different if its a 30 day visa with a 2 month extension)

I live in Kanchanaburi so a border run is a little over 1 hour by motorbike ride to Ban Rom Phun on the Myanmar border. Cost 900baht and is beautiful peaceful motorbike ride through some amazing countryside. Great visa and I am thankful not to have to deal with a tourist visa anymore.

Savannakhet was only doing single entry Tourist visas this is the new rule for the region. Needless to say there were so really pissed of people who did not like the idea of doing this kind of run every 90 days.

The harsh nature of when you live here long enough is that you are willing to help but not to the point of being a babysitter. There is a lot of truth about being quick. We went straight to the Savannakhet bus station(About 1km) after getting our passports without even bothering with the touts(They try and hassle you long enough to miss the bus). Sure enough we beat everyone to the border and only about 4 other Farangs were on the bus. It was great to be the first one getting a ticket without the bustling of too many people. I see this all the time save 20-80baht to put yourself in a worse situation. I do not mind paying for someone too fill out the paperwork. They fill it out for 80baht no hassles all the T's are crossed and I's dotted it is far easier to read than my chicken scratch and they make sure everything is in order. I saw multiple people do it themselves and half of those people ended up back in line 1-2 times due to missing or incorrect information. Another note just avoid the touts all together on both sides of the bridge, the public bus its 50baht none of the piss poor attitude of a bunch of leeches who act like a bunch of bitches if you don't pay some ridiculous price to go 3km.