Datura / Brugmansia / Angels Trumpet

I see this plant regularly in the highland or colder areas of Thailand.

I like the smell very much so I'm wondering if it will flower and survive also in Bangkok?

Or it needs more moderate temperatures, at least at night?

Thanks for any replies!

It's an actually highly poisonous and toxic weed and a member of the nightshade family.

It is also a powerful hallucinogen and deliriant which is used spiritually for the intense visions it produces. However, the tropane alkaloids responsible for both the medicinal and hallucinogenic properties are fatally toxic in only slightly higher amounts than the medicinal dosage, and careless use often results in hospitalizations and deaths.

I would be inclined to stay away from it. If you're looking for a high good old green tea is better.

In my home country many people have them on their terrace for the pleasant smell and nice big flowers.

I never heard of any deaths.

Only sometimes of teenagers using it as drug experience and then end up in the hospital.

See them from time to time here.Last time was in a resort we stayed in Chaiyapum.Managed to acquire 8 seedlings from there that are growing quickly.These were the double purple Daturas. They were growing in dappled shade so mine are in my shaded covered area at present. Would like to get some other varieties and Brugmansias as well I've joined FB groups for these plants in UK ,Europe Australia and India to find out more though I have grown a few before years ago in uk

I think because having only seen them growing at higher (cooler) elevations in Thailand, the OP's suspicion is correct about the cool nights.... I've only seen them growing in the north or in the mountains areas of western Surrathanni and one nice specimen here on Samui, but at about 500 to 600 mts at Temple above Lamai, Samui... I have seen the purple flowered ones here too, but they never seem to be long lived.....

Samui%252520Tony%252520and%252520friends

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

the white ones grow in the mountains everywhere: temples and gardens here in the north.  Datura grows well in summer time in California, so I'm sure it will do well in bkk.  These plants are not dangerous to anyone just by touching or. smelling.  You actually need to eat it to have a problem.  Atropine is a medicine listed as essential by the world health organization, so these plants do have their purpose... A lot of ignorance about plants goes around and a lot of fear mongering. The white ones are actually more deadly and they grow everywhere without anyone knowing it.

Archived