Accomodation Advice Wanted.

For the first year i lived in BKK i rented a furnished apartment in Sukhumvit 13 which i loved - everything except the price. Rent was 42000 but after utilities and other charges the total was around 55000. The location was fantastic though i really loved being able to walk everywhere - i never took taxis.

I then moved to a really nice townhouse in On Nut Soi 80. It was brand new when i moved in and i bought a houseful of furniture, installed air con etc. I spent around 100000 in total and now it's very comfortable. The monthly rent is only 8000 baht but i spend around 7000 baht on taxis. Total accomodation costs including utilities and taxis around 25000. I am still living here now.

Whilst i love my house (and the price) i hate the location. In peak traffic it takes around 45 mins to get to the skytrain and perhaps an hour or more to get to Sukhumvit. It is not near to any shops and restaurants and it takes 15 mins to walk to get a taxi. I am also living here alone whereas before my TGF lived here too. There are are no farangs nearby and thus sometimes i get lonely. However, i have an extra 30000 baht in my pocket every month which makes me smile sometimes.

I have found out that my old apartment is available again. In my heart I really want to take it as i was so happy there before however the thought of paying 55000 for my monthly accomodation has stopped me so far.

Please help me. I keep changing my mind and can't make a decision.

Should i move back to my old place or stay where i am?

Thanks for your advice.

NB. I have looked round many other apartments and havent found anything i like. I guess i am just too fussy!!

Location is everything.

I move around a lot with my work which is a hastle in itself, but I have the guideline in accepting any assignment that I am going to live in the best spot at the location.

To put things in persepctive my rent here in Rome is the equivelent of Bht.. well several months of your Soi 13 place.

But its worth every peny.

Live where its at.

Martin, i can understand what you are saying.

We were in Soi 34, right behind Emporium before moving to On-nut. However, i would suggest moving closer to the skytrain on On-nut itself.

Our rent on Soi 34 was similar to your Soi 13 place, and we moved out here to a house at 15,000/month. It was the best move i ever made, bar none.

I have the skytrain within walking distance, both expressways within 1km of my house, a quiet moobaan where my kids can play out on their bikes without any fear, tesco at the end of my soi, the wet market just over the road (riding my motorbike there to pick up some veggies take 5 mins).

We recently moved again, after our 1 year contract was up as we have a growing family, and a fast growing home office, but we have only moved 2 sois away. I think ive found the perfect location for us. There are few farangs around, but the 2 or 3 here have become good friends, but the community atmosphere with the Thais is great.

My wife has her finger on the pulse of what is available for rent around here at the moment, so if you want any more info let me know by PM.

Regarsd

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to move back to Soi 13 however i think Moonfruit has a good idea too. Living near the skytrain is very important from my experience. I just didnt realise how bad the traffic was until i moved.

It is difficult to find places to rent. How does your wife find your places Moonfruit?

While I think 55,000 baht per month is VERY high it all depends on what you can afford. I do think you could find a nice place within walking distance of the Sky Train much cheaper. I agree that quick easy access to the train is very important. Being single also means that a few walking distance watering holes would also be nice. :o

Edited by Gary A

I agree with Moonfruit. We also have a rented house and kids (well the kids we own - they're not rented), and it's near the BTS. We pay only 20,000 baht for 3-bed detached house with a garden and can walk to the skytrain in a 6 minute farang-pace. Lower Suk is only 10 minutes away by Skytrain. Condos are always more expensive everywhere in LOS - don't khow why.

We live near Aree and Sanam Pao BTS which is a middle-class Thai area with some farangs too. Good (but expensive) Italian place just opened on Aree. There's a Big C and a Tesco just 10 minutes and 50 baht taxi-ride away.

I'd suggest you look around here. PM if you want info on rental places. This area is really up and coming with the recent zoning changes..