driving lessons

dank04

I nominate the above post for the most comical post of the year award.

Why?

There are driving schools in some cities. Remember having seen some in the Korat area on the web.

Sure it's not the same standard like in the west.

They seem to drive around on empty land or so.

More of a technical education.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Why?

There are driving schools in some cities. Remember having seen some in the Korat area on the web.

Sure it's not the same standard like in the west.

They seem to drive around on empty land or so.

More of a technical education.

So why don't you point the OP in the direction of a comprehensive list of them so he can have a look at the nearest one to them.

Any why is that??? What do you find so comical about wanting to get driving lessons for someone who has never driven a car??

Have a read of this informative link below.

Here's an excerpt.

The practical part of the test involves nothing more than seeing if you can actually operate a vehicle. A possible solution, as most people would not be able to afford driving lessons, would be driving education in high school, or at least a more thorough practical, not theoretical driving test.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/

Stoneyboy your link just proves more that there should be driving school in place, my partner is going to be driving around with my 2 daughters in the car so knowing that she was given some training and general knowledge of the road rules will sit a little bit better with me rather than sending her out on the roads with nothing at all.

In the Prasat area you will be stopped by one possible 3 road blocks depending on where you are going so even that just having her licence will not cost me any grief... There are driving schools in other cities just cant seem to find one in surin.

Stoneyboy your link just proves more that there should be driving school in place, my partner is going to be driving around with my 2 daughters in the car so knowing that she was given some training and general knowledge of the road rules will sit a little bit better with me rather than sending her out on the roads with nothing at all.

In the Prasat area you will be stopped by one possible 3 road blocks depending on where you are going so even that just having her licence will not cost me any grief... There are driving schools in other cities just cant seem to find one in surin.

And I agree with your sentiments completely,as far as I know your partner will have to travel to one of the bigger cities to achieve learning to drive at a school.

That's is the problem here nothing is uniform everything differs from province to province etc.

And the bottom line is while your doing the right thing in wanting to teach her properly how many hundreds of thousands have had no tuition whatsoever.

Good luck either way.

Thanks stoneyboy, yeah 3 in pattaya, found 1 in korat, there all roughly about 3500- 5500 depending on the amount of hours driving you want or require. There used to be one next door to the licence testing office in Prasat apparently but l think there may have been some dealings not accepted anymore

A friend gave his wife a few lessons and then turned her over to a driving instructor. Next time he got into the car she sailed out into the main road without looking Why? The instructor had told her not to look or she will be too nervous to go.

I rest my case.

You should change your medication, Sir. What's wrong with the question?

I know a guy in Sisaket, but that's 100 km away. Let me know if you don't find anybody in your area and I'll get the contact details.

Edited by lostinisaan

A friend gave his wife a few lessons and then turned her over to a driving instructor. Next time he got into the car she sailed out into the main road without looking Why? The instructor had told her not to look or she will be too nervous to go.

I rest my case.

My wife made her license when I had to go to Europe for some very serious operations, that finally ended up in an artificial knee joint.

She picked me up at the airport in Ubon, car had only one visible dent. Then on the highway doing 100 km/h, I was asking her why she didn't switch into the 5th gear.

Well, the old pick up, where she'd learned how to drive had only four gears. Women are clutch killers. facepalm.gif

You should change your medication, Sir. What's wrong with the question?

I know a guy in Sisaket, but that's 100 km away. Let me know if you don't find anybody in your area and I'll get the contact details.

I will tell you for why.

I can not give you comprehensive figures but I would wage a bet that the number of Thai motorists with a valid driving licence that learnt at a private driving school or tuition centre is significantly less than those who never attended a driving school.

The number of large cities with said driving schools is massively less than the rest of the country.

Edited by stoneyboy

I taught my wife how to operate the vehicles controls (meaning she could actually drive the vehicle from a - b on a private bit of land) but she went to a driving school in Korat to learn how to pass the driving test, wich she did and then when she was legal to drive on the open road I then taught her how to drive properly to my standards.

But it definitely helped having the driving school to get her through the test no matter what the pessimists say.

HL

I taught my wife how to operate the vehicles controls (meaning she could actually drive the vehicle from a - b on a private bit of land) but she went to a driving school in Korat to learn how to pass the driving test, wich she did and then when she was legal to drive on the open road I then taught her how to drive properly to my standards.

But it definitely helped having the driving school to get her through the test no matter what the pessimists say.

HL

Well it's pretty obvious using a driving school is going to help it's been that way for 50 plus years in the UK,the issue again here lies with inconsistency,corruption and a whole host of other factors that mean circumnavigation of the Thai driving test and learning to drive correctly is very very easy.

I admire anyone who attempts to do things by the book here,just remember that while you are jumping through hoops to keep above board and do things like you would back home,millions of others around you couldn't care a toss about driving lessons or schools let alone afford to use these services.

And I agree with your sentiments completely,as far as I know your partner will have to travel to one of the bigger cities to achieve learning to drive at a school.

That's is the problem here nothing is uniform everything differs from province to province etc.

And the bottom line is while your doing the right thing in wanting to teach her properly how many hundreds of thousands have had no tuition whatsoever.

Good luck either way.

never mind how good your wife might become as a driver,its the millions of other idiots she has to worry about.

cheaper if you can find a fair ground with some dodgem cars.2goes and she will be ready.

Still no assistance re Surin area after 18 posts!

Years ago there was a few options for learning driving in Surin. One was in a type of technical school to the right side of the main road leading into Surin from Prasat direction. The side road was just before the Army base (which is on your left side)

Still no assistance re Surin area after 18 posts!

Years ago there was a few options for learning driving in Surin. One was in a type of technical school to the right side of the main road leading into Surin from Prasat direction. The side road was just before the Army base (which is on your left side)

Crash&Burn Driving Ltd. on Soi Kola.laugh.png

Visiting a test center is always a good laugh. Last time I saw several who failed to stop at the white line, even though a tree had been planted next to it, I assume some of them had driving 'lessons' The whole thing is a farce, and a very dangerous one.

Edited by jacky54

HL

I did the so called "test" about a year ago in Ubon... to call it a "test" is an insult. It's harder to place correctly shaped round, square or triangle toy in the right "hole" as an 2 year old.

The "test" was basicly: stop about 20-30 cm from the curb, drive straight 5-7 meter between the curb and a line of cones, reverse the same thing, drive to a stop sign, wait for your turn to parallel park. Note that the parking area was like 15 meters long so you could fit a goddamn bus in it. Even so atleast one of the dumbasses failed in reversing into it.

If you put any value on the lives of your wife and children then you would take her out of Thailand to learn to drive properly rather than learn to pay back handers .Its not in Thai mentality to take responsibility so consequently you can see the results every day with mounting road deaths.Buy the biggest vehicle as you have a better chance of survival .

If you put any value on the lives of your wife and children then you would take her out of Thailand to learn to drive properly rather than learn to pay back handers .Its not in Thai mentality to take responsibility so consequently you can see the results every day with mounting road deaths.Buy the biggest vehicle as you have a better chance of survival .

I think l have showed l value them by trying to finf suitable driving lessons.

It is all sorted now a uncle who is a police officer has offered to pick her up 3-4 times each week over the next month or so and take her out driving.

Visiting a test center is always a good laugh. Last time I saw several who failed to stop at the white line, even though a tree had been planted next to it, I assume some of them had driving 'lessons' The whole thing is a farce, and a very dangerous one.

Yes I took my mate about a month ago up here in Lom Sak,the test centre is situated between Lom Sak and Lom Kao.

He is 69 and drove HGVs in the UK for 40 plus years,sadly he surrendered his license after a nasty accident back in the UK a few years back that was not his fault,so he had to undertake the practical and theory test.

We turned up at 2pm after bringing 2 steak dinners and a couple of ice coffees on the recommendation of our Thai friend who had assisted in booking his appointment.

We sat open mouthed as we watched a line of about 20 vehicles pull up to the instructor awaiting his commands over as usual the most terribly loud un audible PA system money can buy.

That went on for about two hours whereby we witnessed people with varying levels of driving skill,mount the curb,scuff expensive alloy wheels,reverse endlessly into the cones over and over again until eventually they were processed.

After that my mate jumped into my motor undertook the easiest driving test in the world in 3 minutes and was congratulated by the instructor of whom I had in my best Thai told my friend had driven for 40 years already.

With that formality out of the way it was time to take the computer multiple choice test of which he hadn't bothered to learn,after 2 failed attempts and the help of myself our Thai friend and two driving centre employees our task was over.

He returned the next day to make his photo card pleased as punch.

Edited by stoneyboy

It may be a little far to travel but there is a female driving instructor working in Buriram, I have seen her a few times when I have been in town.

A few years ago there was a Driving instructor at the old test centre in Prackon chi, I paid for my farther in-law to have a few lessons before he sat his test. Some one living it that area my be able to tell you if he is at the new test centre.