Was planning a trip to Chaing Mai without realizing March is desperately bad...

thaidandbound

I wouldn't plan to be doing a lot of outdoorsy stuff during the burning season in CM as I would hate for that soot to be in my lungs.

Try the seaside Phuket or Hua Hin and avoid CM when its clouded in smog.

I would do the South of Thailand in March, but then come up after the first week of April or so, also to catch the epic Songkran festival.

Phuket has its own haze issues, but not typically during the same time.

I personally think March is really crap in the whole of the North, but still plenty tourists come and don't seem to mind all that much.

So anyway, South or Central first, and leave the North until April. It does vary from year to year, so just keep an eye on the numbers after you get to Thailand.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I live in Chiang Mai year round. I usually wear a mask for 10-14 days during the burning season if I'm doing something strenuous. If just sitting around outside I don't bother with it.

For people with respiratory problems, this isn't the best place to be during that time, but for others, with a little bit of prevention, there doesn't seem to be much problem. Lots of folks leave. Lots of folks don't bother. We're in the group that doesn't find it to be a problem, nor stop us from any daily activities.

Thanks for the answers so far. Guess I'm going to Phuket. Or, alternatively, reversing my travels and starting in Vietnam.

An excellent plan.

The second week here in Chiang Mai is usually not to bad and it gives you a chance to enjoy Songkran.

Songkran is a festival time of the year that every one should enjoy at least once in their life time here in Chiang Mai. I did one in a village in Pichet it was fantastic not so much water but the pick up parades in which they practically dragged me in to were just a joy to enjoy.

2 years ago my wife and I decided to get out of Chiang Mai and miss Songkran (April). The air was horrible here. Couldn't see the mountains. Had to slow down to see the traffic lights. Went to Hanoi. The air was worse. We stayed inside most of the week. The world is sick. AQI...today Chiang Mai 51, Phuket 78, Hanoi 111

http://aqicn.org/city/vietnam/hanoi/

Thanks for the answers so far. Guess I'm going to Phuket. Or, alternatively, reversing my travels and starting in Vietnam.

An excellent plan.

The second week here in Chiang Mai is usually not to bad and it gives you a chance to enjoy Songkran.

Songkran is a festival time of the year that every one should enjoy at least once in their life time here in Chiang Mai. I did one in a village in Pichet it was fantastic not so much water but the pick up parades in which they practically dragged me in to were just a joy to enjoy.

Ahhhhh..... Songkran in Chiang Mai....... this old Canadian man at 61 years of age in 2013, felt like he was in his 20's or early 30's again..... amazing happy time..

Can't wait to return.... four months in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area and mountain villages north west of Chiang Dao.... not long enough...

My memory of the burning season in CM was that I would wake up in the morning after dreaming of steam locomotives all night. It didn't take me long to work out that this was a response to the amount of smoke in the air.

I've avoided CM in burning season ever since.

We normally visit CM around the Christmas/New Year period and we have a great time.

Tourist numbers seem down this year across the whole of Thailand and prices seem to go up while they try to maintain profits.

Read through a few recent threads on the topic to get a better idea of where to visit or not.

Also try to avoid being out late in the early hours in areas where drinking happens.

Never lose your temper with locals, the results can be deadly.

Again there are many threads on these topics.

Stay safe.

I would do the South of Thailand in March, but then come up after the first week of April or so, also to catch the epic Songkran festival.

Songkran is the same rubbbish tourist nonsense everywhere in Thailand.

So he can stay down South and get wet. Gets boring after a couple of days anyway.

Edited by Chicog

Forget CM in March and April due to awful smoke. South is much better, everywhere will be very hot, so outdoor activities not pleasant in the heat. I personally love Songram, but I know many who don't

, but for a first time experience you may enjoy it. Ko Chang is a good option in March and April.

it's getting less with burning anyway. Also there are many areas outside where you can't feel/smell anything. So all depends where to stay. San Kamphaeng/BoSang is quite nice all times.

This is completely incorrect.

You have to separate local burning of leaves and rubbish that happens pretty much any time of the year that it isn't too wet to light a fire. This is local burning that you can smell and is a very different thing from what is being discussed here.

The seasonal regional haze affects large parts of Asia: Northern Thailand, Laos, Burma, China. It's like a big blanket cover, and no area escapes it. It doesn't smell particularly like burning either, think of it as superfine dust.

Getting very high up a mountain also means less haze, although if you're already in a car going to a mountain then it's better to just keep driving and leave Northern Thailand for however long the worst of it lasts, typically a couple weeks. (It also comes and goes a bit)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

it's getting less with burning anyway. Also there are many areas outside where you can't feel/smell anything. So all depends where to stay. San Kamphaeng/BoSang is quite nice all times.

This is completely incorrect.

You have to separate local burning of leaves and rubbish that happens pretty much any time of the year that it isn't too wet to light a fire. This is local burning that you can smell and is a very different thing from what is being discussed here.

The seasonal regional haze affects large parts of Asia: Northern Thailand, Laos, Burma, China. It's like a big blanket cover, and no area escapes it. It doesn't smell particularly like burning either, think of it as superfine dust.

Getting very high up a mountain also means less haze, although if you're already in a car going to a mountain then it's better to just keep driving and leave Northern Thailand for however long the worst of it lasts, typically a couple weeks. (It also comes and goes a bit)

I suppose you are not living in CM. So....useless reply

Bad smoke is an all year 365 day problem. The roadside and market stall BBQ charcoal burners are always there everywhere in Thailand. I have travelled here every month except the September rain. Unless you have bad health problems it should not be a problem. The centre of city where most tourist go is away from the outer farm areas of the CM province as opposed to CM the city.

RE- Laislica comment "Never lose your temper with the locals, the results can be deadly"

I had the unpleasant experience of trying to buy an electrical item in Big C. I asked an assistant for the item in English. She repeated it in English and pointed to where they were. I chose from those displayed and tried to get her join me to help me get one in a box. She continuously ignored me. So I parked the supermarket trolley behind the till in the centre of the store. After an hour she and some other assistants wanted to serve some Thai people.

They spoke to me in Thai, so I played them at their own game and ignored them, continuing to block the till. She then decided to phone someone from customer service, who came to me. I then exploded my frustration about the assistants behaviour in no uncertain terms. The result was the other Thai staff and Thai customers were all suddenly looking very embarrassed, not knowing where to look. Yes 7 Thais all losing face at once.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

The smoke doesn't really bother me if it was not for the heat. You don't see Thais moving out of town or donning masks do you? Grow a sack. I can't say it does not contribute to early mortality but absolutely can nothing can be done about people rubbishing their own country with official collusion so why bother?

It would be so easy to fix . See smoke. Police go and ask who burn here? Off to jail. Simple? Of course not.

Edited by arunsakda

Don't meet many tourists who want to holiday somewhere which is health hazard. Totally different to,living full time somewhere. Chiang mai is lovely place to come to, but certain times of the year are best avoided, if you want to see the beautiful views, breath clean air and participate in the many outdoor activities. Can't see the point of this discussion continuing the OP has been given advice , now it's their decision to take.

Bad smoke is an all year 365 day problem. The roadside and market stall BBQ charcoal burners are always there everywhere in Thailand. I have travelled here every month except the September rain. Unless you have bad health problems it should not be a problem. The centre of city where most tourist go is away from the outer farm areas of the CM province as opposed to CM the city.

RE- Laislica comment "Never lose your temper with the locals, the results can be deadly"

I had the unpleasant experience of trying to buy an electrical item in Big C. I asked an assistant for the item in English. She repeated it in English and pointed to where they were. I chose from those displayed and tried to get her join me to help me get one in a box. She continuously ignored me. So I parked the supermarket trolley behind the till in the centre of the store. After an hour she and some other assistants wanted to serve some Thai people.

They spoke to me in Thai, so I played them at their own game and ignored them, continuing to block the till. She then decided to phone someone from customer service, who came to me. I then exploded my frustration about the assistants behaviour in no uncertain terms. The result was the other Thai staff and Thai customers were all suddenly looking very embarrassed, not knowing where to look. Yes 7 Thais all losing face at once.

Wow 7 Thais lost face. You must be proud of yourself.

Don't meet many tourists who want to holiday somewhere which is health hazard. Totally different to,living full time somewhere. Chiang mai is lovely place to come to, but certain times of the year are best avoided, if you want to see the beautiful views, breath clean air and participate in the many outdoor activities. Can't see the point of this discussion continuing the OP has been given advice , now it's their decision to take.

don't meet many people who want to live full time in a health hazard either.

point is, what are you comparing it to?

hawaii is nice, so is vietnam if you want to die of cancer. take your pick.